3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dip cresting  (Read 370 times)

Offline mzombek

• Trad Bowhunter
Dip cresting
« on: June 29, 2015, 05:57:00 AM »
Guys,
I am in the process of making arrows for ETAR in July.
The way that I am cresting now is, staining with water base stain the arrow then using rustolium flat white spray paint for the crest. The spray paint is time consuming.
Because i use water base stain and polyurithane, can I use a outdoor flat house paint for the dip crest?
Thanks,
Z

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dip cresting
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 11:59:00 AM »
I tried latex house paint once. It is very thick and it will go on the shafts being dipped very thick. Paint I had said not to thin. Now I have read where some guys have had success but I did not. Also had an issue with the paint curing, it never really did. I think it is because that paint is to be rolled on or sprayed on and is smoothed out by that process.
I used a wood dye. I got it as a powder and mixed it with water. I applied with a sponge. Deep red. Then wiped on waterbased polycrilic. Yes the poly was gloss but not the dye so it did not look like a gloss finish like the Bohning finishes. But I did not need any dip tubes or spray cans. Used Ducco to fletch.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 02:41:00 PM »
I use an acrylic enamel w/duco-Hap

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 09:08:00 PM »
You can also take house paint and cut it in half with water and rub it on like a stain. If you want to use a diff. color be sure to use white for a base, it will make the color you use over the white brighter.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©