3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Feather arrow rest  (Read 816 times)

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
Feather arrow rest
« on: June 29, 2015, 05:13:00 PM »
Those of you that have experience with them I would like your opinion on them.
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Offline Possumjon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Feather arrow rest
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 06:29:00 PM »
I love mine, thinking of switching my other bows to it... Just not sure how well they work in light rain yet

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 06:35:00 PM »
I love the one on my 2014 Bear Kodiak.I have a couple of Trap's feather rests on a couple of older Ben Pearson's I have with a flat shelf,gives me excellent arrow flight!

Offline mt-tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 07:22:00 PM »
I love mine.  It's on a bear montana long bow.  Pretty dry in my neck of the woods so I don't know about rain.  I do know the rest is far more durable than one would think.  Mine is holding up well.

Tom

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 07:42:00 PM »
I noticed that Bear has them on the new Kodiak and Bob Lee uses them. I had an instructor tell me that he uses them on all his bows. I wonder why they are not more prevalent?
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Offline 1kwikstik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 07:55:00 PM »
I was skeptical at first. Bought a new Bear '59er a couple of years ago with one on it. I love it! Very forgiving and as a bonus I dont need am arrow holder anymore! It holds the shaft right against my side plate.
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others lasts forever.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 08:00:00 PM »
I am also curious as to how they work in rain. Maybe some of that stuff they use on dry flies?

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »
I often joke about how I have 4 that cost me about 2700 dollars...I got the 1960 Kodiaks thrown in on the deal...they work pretty well for me after being on the bows for 55 years

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 08:12:00 PM »
I simply do not hunt in rain...too much chance of losing an animal when the blood trail gets washed away...I will not hunt even if there is a likelihood of rain

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »
Do many of you prefer them to the Weatherest? I have the Weatherest on my 1971 Kodiak Hunter, and it's okay, but wonder if the featherest would be even better.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 09:06:00 PM »
I am thinking of trying one myself .
As far as keeping them dry , I think silicon spray might work . It works for fletching .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mooshkat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »
I use them, they are great rests, the ones made by trap are very high quality, i think the ones 3rivers sells are made by trap.
59 kodiak purpleheart
Bear takedowns A and B
59 Kodiak maple
Dwyer Original, Stewart Slammer, Bear Cub, TT Black Magic, RC Extremes, selfbows

Offline mooshkat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 10:00:00 PM »
I use them, they are great rests, the ones made by trap are very high quality, i think the ones 3rivers sells are made by trap.
59 kodiak purpleheart
Bear takedowns A and B
59 Kodiak maple
Dwyer Original, Stewart Slammer, Bear Cub, TT Black Magic, RC Extremes, selfbows

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 10:40:00 PM »
I wonder if they would give flight to arrows better than an elevated rest for a recurve?

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 11:11:00 PM »
I have used them for years on black widows. Great rests and no worry in the rain. They are stiff enough to not 'lay down' but soft enough to provide excellent arrow flight.

I highly recommend them.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 11:52:00 PM »
I just switched to one and wow it really works great. I went on a pig hunt in Alabama recently and got rained on the entire trip...rest held up great. I really love the feather rest.
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 01:12:00 AM »
I love it on my Jack Howard bow.  The bow came with a total of three rest.

Works great in the snow, took my first buck with it several years ago.  Never shot it in the rain...

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 01:23:00 AM »
I just may have to get one and see what happens. We just started our monsoon season here n AZ. I am not hunting in the rain but chasing targets.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2015, 10:49:00 PM »
Be careful using silicon sprays on the rests I make.  It tends to dissolve adhesive and feathers can come off.

The fletching on a rest is much like that on an arrow.  it will lay down a little when its wet but recovers nicely when it dries out.

if its raining hard enough to make a big difference, you won't be able to follow a blood trail anyway.

DD
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 05:07:00 AM »
I have 4 Howatts and 2 Bear recurves and they All have "Traps" feather rests on them..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©