3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do these limbs look twisted?  (Read 408 times)

Offline Liquid Courage

• Trad Bowhunter
Do these limbs look twisted?
« on: June 30, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »
Just bought it for my son, first bow for $80. Seems like a deal considering the new kodiak cubs are $200+. If they are twisted then with the lower poundage they are hopefully easy to get back into shape.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do these limbs look twisted?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »
A good test I've found is to reverse string the recurve, or no string at all, and place it on a flat surface, like a countertop, and check for wobble. Tips pointed upward, like a W. If wobble is present, limbs are twisted. Then you can figure which way to counter torque to try to correct it.

I got a Wing Hunter straightened out this way. No heat. Just lots of counter-twisting and checking.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
Lower limb...maybe, but camera angle may fool me.  Turn bow on back and look down the string nock to nock.  Does the string lie off the string groove.?If it does, there should be no problem getting it back straight.

Leaving it strung, hand twist the limb in opposite direction a few times past center. Leave it strung.  Do that a few times a day for a week or so and see what happens.  Leaving it strung is no problem either.

Does the string jump off the bow when you shoot?
Lon Scott

Offline Liquid Courage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »
I should have mentioned that these are pictures from the seller, I will physically have the bow in a couple days. Just second guessing an impulse online buy.

Offline Liquid Courage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 11:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
A good test I've found is to reverse string the recurve, or no string at all, and place it on a flat surface, like a countertop, and check for wobble. Tips pointed upward, like a W. If wobble is present, limbs are twisted. Then you can figure which way to counter torque to try to correct it.

I got a Wing Hunter straightened out this way. No heat. Just lots of counter-twisting and checking.
And on a 20# bow I would think applying counter torque should be fairly easy to straighten out.

Offline swarbt119

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 11:30:00 AM »
You can't tell from the picture, you will have to look at it in person. If they are twisted it won't be hard to tell. I recently bought a 35# Browning recurve for my wife and the lower limb was twisted, and it was not hard to correct at all.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »
It is a good buy. Like stated if they are slightly twisted it is an easy fix.
Pictures always,look twisted to me.
Many threads on here on straightening.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 01:39:00 PM »
I can't tell from that photo. Hold the bow by the tip and handle and look down the string.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 06:41:00 PM »
if they are twisted, they should be easy to correct. I think you got a fair/good price.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 08:23:00 AM »
Never realized correcting a twisted limb was so easy. Have a high end recurve. When purchased, used, string had wool wraps around nock groove area. Always thought the lower limb looked twisted but never checked for sure. Got an SBD sting for it and when stringing for first time and drawing, noticed the string at bottom limb, when letting down, would slide into groove instead of falling directly in. Definitely twisted. Contacted bowyer and he sent a pdf showing how to counter-twist. Worked like a dream. I was amazed. So even if twisted, won't be difficult to correct. Or shouldn't be.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©