3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hills secrets revealed  (Read 974 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hills secrets revealed
« on: July 01, 2015, 08:47:00 AM »
A week and a half ago at the Compton Rendezvous John Lee, Chuck Deshler and I sat and talked about the Hill style bow and how they should be made. John knew Howard and learned first hand from him how he made his bows. John actually made three bows for Howard before he died.

As we three sat and talked, John told Chuck what Howard had passed on to him. He drew sketches on paper and Chuck took notes. Today Chuck brought over the first bow he made after Johns instructions. He made it left handed so I could try it and I must say it's a very sweet shooter.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hills secrets revealed
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 09:24:00 AM »
tell me about your grip ron.
 i have a hill reverse handle and i choke it like it owes me money.
 your grip seems very relaxed, like a recurve.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
Wow, What a tease....
    Now Ron, Finish the story....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 10:49:00 AM »
John Lee is a super entertaining man to listen too. I've only done so a few times around a campfire, but it's been a real treat. Good to see Chuck putting John's knowledge into play.     :thumbsup:
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 02:07:00 PM »
  tell me about your grip ron. i have a hill reverse handle and i choke it like it owes me money. your grip seems very relaxed, like a recurve.  
There are many styles of form in archery, as for myself I've always adhered to Howards advice, "upon release both hands do nothing". I keep a loose grip on the bow so as to let the bow do it's thing without the influence of pressures from my hand.

In my competitive tournament days all through the 60's almost everyone shot with an open hand and a "keeper" leather strap around the wrist to keep from dropping the bow.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 02:19:00 PM »
I used a leather 'keeper' on my target bows too.  I do squeeze a longbow into my hand at the beginning of the draw and then loosen up.  Those 20 yard PAA targets mess with my brain even today. When I shoot at one I instinctively open my hand. There is no hand shock in a Hill style bow when the hand is completely open. It is a bit embarrassing when I have walk forward to pick my bow off the ground.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 03:00:00 PM »
awesome, i guess i'll have to try a loose grip.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »
"Hold it like a bird....not too tight as to hurt it....and just tight enough so it can't fly away"....HH
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 03:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
"Hold it like a bird....not too tight as to hurt it....and just tight enough so it can't fly away"....HH
perfect, explains it all. i just had always been told that about recurves and to squeeze the daylights outta a longbow
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 04:13:00 PM »
I'm slowly starting to realize that about my grip as well.  I have a N.M. Baraga, and a reverse handle Whisper, and I shoot them pretty much with the same grip as I do my recurves.  I have also had to switch from shooting 3 under to split with them.  It's been a fun and sometimes frustrating learning experience for me.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 04:51:00 PM »
Moe Arne has some good info on here regarding gripping a long bow.  Not sure where to find it at the moment.  When I started doing it as he suggests, my groups tightened up!
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 05:35:00 PM »
Terry, I hold my bow like it is an ostrich trying to get away.  Is that the same thing?  :)

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 05:59:00 PM »
Lol, beyondmyken.  I find that gripping it like the neck of a large angry Guinnea Hen is about right.  Or maybe like the neck of a medium-sized American Condor as it's lifting off with my other arm in it's beak.  Something like that.

I'm afraid that little canary wouldn't stand a chance.  Squish...Poof!     :biglaugh:

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 06:31:00 PM »
Hey Terry.  Is that quote in one of Howard's books?  Definitely worth repeating.  Don't know how folks got the idea that one needs to put a death grip on a longbow. That's one of the things that leads to a lot of felt hand shock, regardless of the bow being shot. Those folks who say a Hill "rattles" their teeth, are probably gripping the bow too tightly.

That's probably not the secret(s) you were talking about Ron, but a revelation to some just the same.    :thumbsup:

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 06:46:00 PM »
i think, for me atleast, the death grip came from selfbows.
 i had always been a longbow admirer from afar. compounds and recurves were my bows of choice.
 when i became enlightened and started diving into all things trad, especially making selfbows, i was always told to hold the recurve " dainty" and the have a firm solid grip on long and self bows.
 i have a four day weekend and a new package of parts and pieces from three rivers . so i'll be doing alot of grip testing.
 by the way ron , i hope we arent hijacking you're thread. will you be at ETAR in the coming weeks
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 06:56:00 PM »
Yes.....that was a quote from HH.

Another quote. ..."I made many a shot instinctive on game once I started hunting"
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 07:06:00 PM »
AWESOME to hear this news and see this Ron!!  The first Shrew Hill was a SWEET bow, still my favorite Hill I've ever tried aside from Steve Turay's bows.  This is very exciting.  Will Chuck's new bow be as slim in the limbs and deep in the grip as the original Shrew Hill was??
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »
I like to settle it in the straight back fat part below the thumb so as not to torque the bow then just close the hand with low to moderate grip strength.  Doing it right places the force in back straight part of hand.  Not nearly as loose as Ron's picture but not strong either
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 08:28:00 PM »
  Will Chuck's new bow be as slim in the limbs and deep in the grip as the original Shrew Hill was??  
I've been talking with Chuck for some time now about bringing back the   ShrewHill  Chuck knows his stuff so I know he'll make em right.    :readit:

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 09:47:00 PM »
Ron, you gonna bring that to the GLLI so we can have a closer look...   :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©