3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Made my first flemish string  (Read 1153 times)

Offline adam

• Trad Bowhunter
Made my first flemish string
« on: January 24, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »
Hey guys,
    well i bought chad's dvd "doin the twist" to get some more info on building flemish strings. I watched the whole dvd over 2 days then built a flemish string board. Which was really easy. Then i measured my bundles on the board and started twisting and came up with something like this

This was my first attempt at making a flmeish string with a loop in both ends. I have made them with a timber hitch in one end but it never worked out very well. I think this one turned out good. After i strecthed it some i stung my bow and decided i needed some silencers. So i went to wal-mart went to  the craft section and bought some fur. It was $3 for a sheet about 12" x 18" i cut a 12" piece about an inch wide then cut it in half and made my silencers that look like this

The silencers work great and for the money i can make about 16 more sets off this one piece. But i would like to say thanks to chad and Joe for putting this video together. It has a lot of useful advice.If you are thinking about making your own strings i would reccommend getting a copy of this dvd.
Psalm 18:33

Offline tpoof

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Made my first flemish string
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 11:22:00 AM »
Looks good, nice color choice!
I enjoy tieing strings as well but ol arthur itis is making it tough to do much twisting.

Nice fur silencers too.

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 11:40:00 AM »
Hey, quit teasing us. Give us a whole look at that Pearson. I like the string color choice also.

Offline adam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
ok, here is some pictures of the whole bow. The first one is just on the floor and the second one is with my 7 point i shot this year. To bad i didn't shoot it with the bow.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
Way to go Adam. I'm in the process of learning too!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 12:51:00 PM »
I just made my first one a couple weeks ago. I got the flemish twist string jig from 3 Rivers and also got thier how-to video. I really enjoy it now and it is addicting. The only problem is I now have at least 3 extra strings for every bow and I want to make more. It is fun to learn and I enjoy doing it. Next I am going to learn to make my own arrows.  Tim
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Charles K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 01:23:00 PM »
Nice string. I like my with a slightly tighter twist to the main part of the string.
I think the jig is a good thing to start with, but I learned from an old man that just measured 16-20 inches past an unstrung bow (16 for lb...20 for recurve) and put two nails into his workbench. He taught me to then wrap the string around the two nails. To create the length for the loops, start with the end of the string in your palm and wrap around your hand 1 and a 1/2 times.

Offline Pasty Face

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 01:44:00 PM »
Nice work, I also just started making strings, it is alot more fun then I thought it would be.

Offline adam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 10:35:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys!! I shot it tonight and it is awesome!! It just feels good to know you are shooting a string that you made!!

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
Sounds cool. One more thing I have to learn now...this stuff is so cool. Glad you posted this...I was wondering about the difficulty level of string making.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline adam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 11:19:00 PM »
Honestly about 2 months ago i had no idea how to make a string and now i can make one in 10 to 15 min. It is really easy, If you twist strings you can make a bowstring. If i were you i would buy a copy of "doin the twist" by chad at recurves.com After you get that build a flemish string board. Really chaep and takes about 20 min. to build. After that just start twisting. Its really easy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©