3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear eating wolves in Quebec  (Read 318 times)

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bear eating wolves in Quebec
« on: July 02, 2015, 02:59:00 PM »
I am just starting to look at some of the many trail cams that I ran in my Quebec bear camp and I ran across a neat one.  We have a deep pit that bear carcasses are deposited in after the skinning/butchering. I noticed that three bear carcasses were missing one day after I had placed them there the morning before. I had a idea that it was wolves but placed a camera there to see them in action on video. Sure enough they would show up every night at about 2AM and carry the bears off.  It is quite common to hear them at night but quite rare to see them. They are just so smart.

Offline PBNJ

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear eating wolves in Quebec
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 03:10:00 PM »
That is cool stuff Jerry but a bit creepy at the same time...A 2AM wolf party carrying off whole bear carcasses. Any way of posting some pictures? Thanks for sharing...Have a great weekend

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 03:45:00 PM »
Fascinating!  How neat.  Is it legal to harvest wolves there?
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 03:59:00 PM »
Just curious...what parts of the bear carcasses are left after skinning and butchering?

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 06:28:00 PM »
I actually have video clips from the tail cam. I will include them in the compilation video when my cameras catch up with me.

The wolves may not be hunted there. I see their tracks on a daily basis but they are like ghost. I did see two crossing a road last year. We also had a wounded bear attacked and partially eaten last year. It was pretty wild coming in on that scene with my blood dog. He was on high alert for sure as we were right behind the wolves.

Some of the carcasses they hauled out of that hole were 100+ pounds.  Those wolves are strong critters.

If they had been coming in at a more decent hour I would have sat there and watched them.

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 12:29:00 AM »
I saw two different wolves while bear hunting in Alberta last summer. One guy in our camp shot one with a wheel bow, and I really thought I was going to get a shot at the second one I saw while hunting. He ultimately was just too smart to stick around long enough to get shot at!

Bisch

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 05:59:00 PM »
I understand that it is not uncommon for wolves to kill bears in their dens during the winter months...that is likely how they get the taste for bear meat

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 10:02:00 PM »
Those wolves are amazing predators!  I'm glad we don't have to deal with them down here in MO... too often anyways.  

I did have a neighbor who traps coyotes and he caught a female wolf two years ago.  Conservation department threatened to take his traps, but he was all legal - Nothing came of it.  They just took the wolf.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 06:30:00 PM »
Bump

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 07:59:00 PM »
I have a friend in Alaska who told me he saw a pack of about 6 wolves surround a moderate size black bear on a river bank and kill and eat it.  No reason to doubt him. Bear tastes pretty good to me.  I expect the wolves like it as well.

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 08:39:00 PM »
I misunderstood the title... Like "man eating chicken". Lol
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 08:40:00 AM »
I too was wondering about the title. Thought the bear was eating the wolves. Doubt they acquired their taste for bear by killing them in their den. They are carnivores. Carnivores eat meat. Bears are meat. Ergo, wolves eat bear. When they get the chance.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 09:59:00 AM »
:biglaugh:  I too thought it was going to be about bears eating wolves.  Thought "How cool is that?"
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 10:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by TSP:
Just curious...what parts of the bear carcasses are left after skinning and butchering?
Quebec is like Saskatchewan: there is no meat salvage requirement. After the hide and paws are removed , the outfitters dump the carcasses in the "The Pit".
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 10:58:00 AM »
 Quebec is like Saskatchewan: there is no meat salvage requirement. After the hide and paws are removed , the outfitters dump the carcasses in the "The Pit".  
That's outrageous    :mad:   Bear meat is some of the best eating meat there is. Killing a bear strictly for the hide is wasteful and totally  immoral in my opinion.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 11:02:00 AM »
I agree with Ron !
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 04:35:00 PM »
Anyone who's ever had one of Ron's dutch oven bear roasts would feel exactly as Ron does.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 04:44:00 PM »
I am also in total agreement with Ron!
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline MCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 08:00:00 PM »
He does say skinning and butchering. I guess its all the unused parts. I hope.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 08:24:00 PM »
 Some of the carcasses they hauled out of that hole were 100+ pounds. Those wolves are strong critters.  
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©