3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Big jims hot melt insert glue  (Read 375 times)

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big jims hot melt insert glue
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2015, 05:24:00 PM »
Last time I checked Big Jim carried two types of hot melt, which one is everybody talking about?
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2015, 07:18:00 PM »
quick stick hot melt glue
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 12:48:00 PM »
up top for anyone who has not tried this glue , its the best.
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 01:35:00 PM »
Use it year around. Never had a problem.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2015, 01:04:00 AM »
I've tried this glue and it turned out to be the worst insert glue I have ever used. Maybe I did it all wrong     :dunno:    but the inserts would come loose pulling the arrows outta my targets.  So now I just use 2 ton epoxy from the local True Value Hardware store and no problems.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2015, 08:00:00 AM »
Screamin, you've got to be kidding me. Did you get it from me? Which one did you purchase? I actually carry three. ferrel tight, blue ferrel tight, and bigjims quick stick.
I can only speak of the ferrel tight and quick stick as I have never used the blue.
The ferrel tight will not work well or at all on carbons.
The only time I have ever seen a problem with the hot melts is on CX shafts when they weren't cleaned first. They have a mold release on them that should be removed first for best adhesion.
Other than that, if you had problems, it wasn't our glue or it wasn't done properly...sorry.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2015, 12:03:00 AM »
nope not kidding. It was this one

http://www.shop.bigjimsbowcompany.com/Quick-Stick-Hot-Melt-Glue-QSHMG21443043.htm?productId=45

you had a video up at the time on how to use it and you shot a few arrows into a tree and then tried to pull them out. Looked like great stuff at the time so I ordered it. sorry but it don't work for me.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
screamin not sure why you had less than good results with it as it's proved to be a great product for me and a host of other Gangers.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2015, 09:11:00 PM »
Thats one I used. Heat, freezing cold, rain, snow with out a problem. Just be sure and rough up the inside of the shaft and clean with acetone.  Also clean the insert with acetone as well. I heat up the glue and rub it on the insert (I put on alot of it). I install a field point in the insert to give something to hold to and not burn your fingers. Then grab the field point with pair of pliers and hold it over the heat ( I use the gas kitchen stove) until the glue melts again. Then quickly push it in the arrow shaft. The final step I dip the end of ghe arrow in cold water. It seams to set the glue faster. Then pull off the excess glue.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2015, 09:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by shed hunter:
Thats one I used. Heat, freezing cold, rain, snow with out a problem. Just be sure and rough up the inside of the shaft and clean with acetone.  Also clean the insert with acetone as well. I heat up the glue and rub it on the insert (I put on alot of it). I install a field point in the insert to give something to hold to and not burn your fingers. Then grab the field point with pair of pliers and hold it over the heat ( I use the gas kitchen stove) until the glue melts again. Then quickly push it in the arrow shaft. The final step I dip the end of ghe arrow in cold water. It seams to set the glue faster. Then pull off the excess glue.
x2, best I have used. I clean with denatured alcohol since I have it for the alcohol burner I use. Don't touch insert with fingers, can leave skin oils on it and weaken the bond. I agree with dipping in cold water so the heat won't effect the resin in the carbon shaft and weaken it.
shoot straight shoot often

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©