3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coyote Carnage  (Read 506 times)

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
Coyote Carnage
« on: July 04, 2015, 11:10:00 AM »
I went out behind my house the other day to see how the apples and beechnuts were doing this year, and to do a little scouting.

I hadn't gone more than a few hundred yards, when I came across this at the edge of a field.

[/IMG]

The grass was trampled down in a five foot circle, with a coyote dropping at the edge.

Bob

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coyote Carnage
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 11:45:00 AM »
that doesn't look very old if you ask me.  Appears you have some killing to do!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 12:18:00 PM »
Well, unfortunately, they need to eat too.
CHuckC

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 01:32:00 PM »
If the only thing at the scene was the 2 hooves that would be unusual for a coyote as well as most other predator kills.

Offline stonewall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 01:38:00 PM »
Make yu a couple sets in that spot. Get em all.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 03:38:00 PM »
Looks like a squatch kill to me....
On a more serious note, I have unfortunately found random hooves like that where I hunt.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 07:06:00 PM »
It could be a squatch kill, you never know.  ;)  

When I saw the coyote dropping, I assumed it was a coyote. We do have some fisher and bobcats that have moved in over the past several years, and I suppose they could have played a part in cleaning things up too. I Didn't think of them at first. There have been a few eagles around here the past few years too.

Whatever it was, or whatever combination of critters, they didn't leave anything but the two legs.  

Daniel, it was a fresh kill. The meat on the legs hadn't even started to spoil yet.

I killed a buck up north one time, quite a ways from camp. I walked back and got my pack and some garbage bags, boned it out, and hauled the meat and head back to camp.

I usually carry a couple zip lock bags with me for the heart and liver, but didn't have them that day. So I stuck the heart and liver on a dead branch about as high as I could reach before I decided to pack the deer out, and forgot them when I came back.

I went back for them the next morning, and was surprised to find everything gone. Guts, bones, hide, It was all gone, along with the heart and liver. A little looking turned up a couple bear tracks.

We do have a few black bears here in my area now, so I suppose that's a possibility too.

I should know better than to assume anything without more evidence than a coyote dropping, and should have looked things over more closely. We have so many coyotes around here, that I took it for granted that it was coyotes that killed the fawn.

I'd go back and take a closer look, but we've had so much rain since I found it, I doubt there would be any evidence left.

Bob

Offline Fisher Cat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »
Kind of reminds me of an old joke:

Looks like coyote scat, feels like coyote scat, smells like coyote scat, tastes like coyote scat...  Good thing you didn't step in it!

Seriously, the coyote calling card should be evidence enough.  Sure, MAYBE something else killed it, but you have fawns and you have coyotes that know about them.  Whether it's a problem or not is up to you. - John

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 10:08:00 PM »
a good number of Fawns die every year due to other causes like disease and tractors, then get cleaned up by other animals like vultures, eagles and Coyotes.

Its a easy to assume the coyotes made the kill but they may have just taken advantage of opportunistic kill.

Coyotes are great hunters but if they killed every fawn, you wouldn't have any deer within a couple years.

What you found Bob is both Beautiful and Sad at the same time. Nature at its best..
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 10:34:00 PM »
I shot an antelope just at dusk.  Went to retrieve the next morn, and found a bloody spot and a stomach.  Cycle of life.  I punched the tag a d went home
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 10:59:00 PM »
If the only thing at the scene was the 2 hooves that would be unusual for a coyote as well as most other predator kills.

I was thinking along the same lines.Wouldnt count out,discarded legs dumped by a poacher and the coyote finding it.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »
Could be any number of possibilities of what killed the fawn but eradication of coyotes has proven to be elusive. Seems the more loss of fawns causes more to be born. Not unusual to see triplets in this area. But on the other hand I will not hesitate taking any coyotes that show up while I'm hunting. Would really like to cross paths with a black phase one.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 10:29:00 AM »
They sure make up a huge part of the annual dawn depredation for sure. I've read that in some areas they represent 80% of fawn kills. We all know it happens but it's still a little sad to see it first hand.   :(

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 12:39:00 PM »
Well, whatever did it, I should have taken a better look around. I know better than to jump to conclusions.

I was in a hurry to get to the woods on the far end of the field, or I would have.

I don't like coyotes, so I tend to blame them for pretty much everything. I'm not convinced that it wasn't a coyote that hid my shooting glove on me the other day.   ;)

Bob

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2015, 01:14:00 PM »
Turn lemons into lemonade, make you a hoof bow rack.   :archer:

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2015, 01:49:00 PM »
Just a little incentive - there was a trail cam placed in the early spring overlooking the entrance to a coyote den in Ontario a couple of years ago.  I don't remember exactly what the number was but it was over 30 fawns brought in before summer.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2015, 03:53:00 PM »
Where's the rest of the bones.?  I'm thinking bear. If it was a pair of coyotes feeding their young the legs would of went with the rest to the den. Coyotes do not cut legs off. A black phase coyote would be cool. I would set up close buy and see what happens. You at least might get a shot at a coyote coming buy to check things out.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2015, 04:01:00 PM »
Coydogs don't leave much behind either and they are much more aggressive than coyotes .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2015, 07:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pete McMiller:
Just a little incentive - there was a trail cam placed in the early spring overlooking the entrance to a coyote den in Ontario a couple of years ago.  I don't remember exactly what the number was but it was over 30 fawns brought in before summer.
I've heard this claim at least 100 times in the last few years. The only thing in common is that there has never been even a single picture posted from one of these cams.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2015, 07:56:00 PM »
100% agree with Steve! They do kill fawns of all kinds of breeds to feed there family's but the numbers are to high for one pair of coyotes.

And as far as coydogs being more aggressive I'd like to see you prove that too. It's all the same bud, I was in wildlife control for the state for many years lots of study's. I still work for a huge cattle operation year round trapping coyotes and catch them all and get to watch them, shoot them, film them it's all the same sorry. IMHO

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©