3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Restarting trad archery  (Read 332 times)

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
Restarting trad archery
« on: July 05, 2015, 08:09:00 AM »
Im a little concerned about the lack of interest in trad archery in my area. The Michigan Traditional Bowhunters (MTB) has a newsletter/magazine that had a total of 3 articals in it. The only trad archery shop in our area is no more. The archery club that I belong to has some trad archers but it is about 35 miles from my house. I suggested that MTB should start chapters as Michigan is to big of an area to expect people to show up for an event even if it was centrally located in the state. There is 4 events in michigan; the rabbit hunt, the jamboree, the expo in kalamazoo and the banquet. Im trying to come up with a way to jumpstart the trad way of life. It seems odd that trad archery is on the decline in a state where modern archery was practically invented. Any ideas out there?

Offline 1kwikstik

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Restarting trad archery
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 11:48:00 AM »
I have no experience at something like that, but my suggestion would be to find some like-minded trad archers in your area, maybe start your own club? Then take it as far as far as the members want- shoots, hunts, etc. Just a thought....
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others lasts forever.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline 1kwikstik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 11:49:00 AM »
I have no experience at something like that, but my suggestion would be to find some like-minded trad archers in your area, maybe start your own club? Then take it as far as far as the members want- shoots, hunts, etc. Just a thought....
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others lasts forever.

Offline 1kwikstik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 11:52:00 AM »
Sorry for the double post!

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 11:58:00 AM »
Traditional archery has many meanings to many  people and quite a few for whatever reason try to avoid the term.  I won't go there, but I think you do need to have an idea as to what type of traditional you are looking for, before you can 'jumpstart' it.

The easiest/biggest recent movement is toward target rigs and aiming systems...bows, arrows, accessories and aiming methods.  Most in this group seem to prefer a modern gap shooting style, light bows/carbon arrows, the latest in materials advantages and a general emphasis on shooting high target scores than on hunting.  There's alot of media coverage of this type (ads, websites, chatsites, etc.) so you should be able to generate local interest if that type is your preference.  Then there is 'old school' traditional...either primitive (all wood) or wood/fiberglass bows and wood/aluminum/fiberglass arrows popular before compounds.  It seems there are not as many followers of this type these days, but it's still popular with the older generation that grew up hunting in the old style.

I assume that one of these types is your main interest.  I'm surprised you can't find at least one of these 'flavors' somewhere near you.  Maybe attending some of the local 3D shoots and asking some questions can help you locate and nurture what you prefer.

Best of luck to you.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 12:37:00 PM »
Contact oldbow he got our club started. He maybe able to help you with some things you mght do. I believe one thing he did was put a thread on  event forum.  Thats how I found out about it. If im right we are up to around 30 members or more now. And usually meet around once a month.  On average we have around 20 shooters at the shoot. The state has helped us out utilizing  the archery range at Land between the lakes. Ours is open to any traditional equipment and styles. We just have one rule no compounds or xbows. They are great bunch of guys. We also  meet at others shoots and hang out together.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 01:07:00 PM »
Brian you might want to try making a few of those events. You may just get lucky meet someone that has the exact interest as you. Living in TX we are lucky to have a few small trad events within a couple hour drive. It seems that the larger events are really spread out, which means a lot longer drives for the guys and gals in my area.

I have been very lucky when it comes to trying to make all the events that I can make. What I mean by lucky is not just meeting some world class shooters but some world class people. Heck, I met Bisch for the first time at the Texas Traditional Championship shoot in Austin, a 4.5 hour drive for me. Believe me when I tell you that was worth the drive, I was lucky to meet Arvin and Deb Weaver that same trip. I actually got to shoot a round with Jeffro and Neetz that trip. All of these people are well known in TX for there different skills in Trad Archery. I have been lucky to shoot 3D with several IBO World Champs. Guess what, they will all help in any way they can every time.

Some of the folks that I have met never get on a computer. Shoot, one of my trad friends is so back woods that he don't even know that a 45lb is too light to shoot a deer or hog with, lol.  :)

Get out and make some Traditional friends, shoots/ events next time you get a chance. You have some greats in your home state, go meet them!

Good Luck,
Ben

Offline DBGJR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 07:48:00 PM »
Brian, there are quite a few trad archers in the area. You met a couple of good ones last fall. I just started shooting again after getting my new lower poundage bow. i'm shooting a little at a time not wanting to mess my shoulder up any worse than it is. As far as MTB starting chapters, we would have to have people step up and run them. At the jamboree last weekend we had 2 members show up myself and Tom Frick from ohio, to the general membership meeting. We had a total of 6 board members there as well and 2 of them got off the board because of health and personal reasons.I my self re-joined the board also because i didn't want to see 4 people try to run the organization.MTB also moved the banquet to the west side of the state because people were complaining about it always being on the east side and i know for a fact that the ones complaining never showed when it was moved to Grand Rapids. we have a great following from the guys from the southeast part of the state and they show up no matter where it is held, and they always do the 2-d targets for the jamboree. We need that kind of participation from alot more people to keep MTB alive. As for local get your club to sponser a spring shoot, put together a fall squirrel hunt, or just a get together to get more imput from those in the area.
Dick

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 09:19:00 PM »
Yea the McKellers are the real deal. I went to a couple of banquets and had a great time. But what Im talking about is more things to do. Im kicking around the idea I suggested a while back about a trad squirrel hunt. Maybe some sort of shoot and bring a dish to pass. And no I didn't go to the banquet this year. Had to work and Im on second shift. Didn't go to the jamboree for the same reason. Went to the expo, that was fun. And as far as target archery goes, well that would be fun too but yes Im more hunting oriented.Good ideas out there, just need to hear them.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 09:19:00 PM »
I have to say that it was like a punch in the stomach when Black Dog Outfitters went out of business .
Finding traditional supplies is tough now without going on line .
As far as MTB goes , I joined this past January and I don't think they are going to be around much longer .
It looks like traditional archery is loosing ground . I work with a guy that has a very nice Cari Bow and he is thinking of getting a cross bow for this next deer season .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 09:20:00 PM »
Yea the McKellers are the real deal. I went to a couple of banquets and had a great time. But what Im talking about is more things to do. Im kicking around the idea I suggested a while back about a trad squirrel hunt. Maybe some sort of shoot and bring a dish to pass. And no I didn't go to the banquet this year. Had to work and Im on second shift. Didn't go to the jamboree for the same reason. Went to the expo, that was fun. And as far as target archery goes, well that would be fun too but yes Im more hunting oriented.Good ideas out there, just need to hear them.

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 10:33:00 PM »
What about the Michigan Longbow Association?

Steve
"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been
at work on it, and man can only mar it."
- Theodore Roosevelt upon seeing the Grand Canyon.

Offline Fisher Cat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 11:34:00 PM »
Kill Shot, why are you concerned about the lack of interest?  While I really enjoy spending time with other traditional archers, I never felt compelled to lure others into the sport.  In my opinion, that will only detract from it. - John

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 11:34:00 AM »
I think that the lack of interest didnt do black dog outfitters any good. Now when I need anything trad related it has to be mail ordered. Im a touchy/feally type when it comes to buying stuff. As far as lack of interest, maybe I need to bring out the adventure thats involved. More so I need to attend an MTB meeting. This is what meetings are for.

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 11:40:00 PM »
I might suggest doing a search on Michigan archery association. Their are several I do believe around The Kent City area. Also the yearly GLLI and Comptons shoots The comptons draws a lot of venders. Also the Kalamazoo expo in January is good also. Hope this helps. I'm a member of a archery club and we have about 15 regular shooters who use traditional tackle and about 5 that shoot compound and traditional.

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 09:23:00 AM »
Just as I would do when I worked for a University and gave various Extension presentations to different groups, - you have to look at your audience.

Back in '62, my coach's wife used to do demonstrations at hunting and fishing shows, and on local TV.  She shot ping pong balls and into the hole of 45 rpm records, and that was interesting, but did not actually attract new shooters, except me as my Dad worked as a Television Director at the TV station.  One of the two Clubs I belonged to in Oklahoma City set up a booth at a state wild life show and it drew a lot of attention.  I think it did better than demonstrations because it brought dialog to people who may be thinking about shooting.  We did have a few indoor targets set up, people were invited to shoot our bows with supervision.

Inviting hunters to the Club meetings and events helped too. After the service in 1970 I started shooting at a local 2-D event.  They used the same animal targets we shot as the last round in field tournaments.  I met them through a friend who I had actually helped to get started shooting six years before (1964).  We shot in a ravine area right across the street from the field range.  Most those guys were more interested in hunting than in supporting the field archery range, so we had hunting camps with the same shooters in the fall. Introduction through friends is powerful.

Same with 3-D today.  It attracts an audience of hunters who would enjoy shooting the 3-D events a few times per year.   That's the audience.  There is also a big wave of us old hardliner's who have come back to trad archery like me, who are full of old dog stories.   But that's an audience that I think is still untapped because I meet people all the time who say they used to shoot a bow.  With any audience, you have to work it. Just like the knife salesmen at the fairs.

Four events a year as mentioned for your state is good.  Also don't worry about a trad supporting archery shop disappearing.  It's the nature of all small specialized shops that they do not last forever.  If we promote our sport through our friends and family (granddudes and grandgirls, etc), get out in public, invite folks to 3-D events, and set up a fall hunting camp with friends, traditional archery will be stronger than ever, even when they plant me on the 44.  I guarantee it.

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »
Got to thinking what got me back to trad archery.  Worked at OSU in agriculture and about five years ago, my boss, and two other faculty members and two people I worked with who did roadside research all shot old recurve bows and talked about hunting and their bow set ups. One had a long bow build for hi and we all through he was rich. I remembered my days of belonging to Field Clubs and my best friend (now passed on) who I shot, camped, and hunted with.  Each one of my co-workers would talk about their getting ready for bow season and one kept telling me I could pick up a good Bear bow for around $350.  Took another year of saving for me, but I joined the pack and got back into trad.  My boss had a collection of bows and he also invited me to his farm to shoot them, but he never shot 3-d events but several others had. When I went to the McAlester shoot after I got back into trad, I met a group of four who were policemen from my town of Stillwater where OSU was that only shot that one event. Seemed like everybody in agriculture I talked to shot recurves and longbows or had at some time. Proof that there are a bunch of us out there who just need tapped.  If all the people that shot trad bows just in Stillwater got together just one time, they would have to rent the conference hall to for us to meet and it's a small city or university town. There is still a large audience already shooting that those of us on this forum don't meet or see.  Again as mentioned in my other reply above, friends and itroductions through our colleges (like my past work place) are powerful for influencing trad shooters.  The trad shooters are out there, just got to tell dog stories at work, invite our friends, invite those we associate with to 3-D shoots or to go hunting, and  work it.

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 10:14:00 AM »
Stop complaining and take the time to look around.  Michigan has one of the strongest traditional archery movements anywhere.  There is more going on in Michigan for traditional archers than just about anywhere else.  You have the Great Lakes Longbow shoot, Compton shoot, and countless other shoots for traditional archers.  I lived in Michigan in the mid-1980's.  Most clubs had just as many trad shooters show up at local shoots as they had compound shooters.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2015, 08:33:00 AM »
Other interest groups and organizations, such as art groups, hunting clubs, and senior softball teams are loosing members just due to many becoming old, and having other obligations, health issues, or just too overloaded with other interests to have the time to work hard to support their local group. You would think that traditional archery would be the same.  

But this is not the case.  I never cease to be amazed at seeing 100 times more traditional archery events posted for every area and state than long ago. Just look at the event section here as an example.  That's encouraging.

We also travel much more easily now with our fancy and air conditioned SUV's on smooth interstates at high speeds, so I am seeing people travel significantly greater distances to get to traditional archery events. Might not need local groups so much anymore as a person can get to a shoot or hunting event just about anywhere.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
JohnV, you have complaining confused with concern. Also things are different now than back in the mid 80's.(30 years ago) And I'm not saying that no one does it any more. I'm talking about the lack of interest. Take a look at the Michigan Traditional Bowhunters forum on this web site and youll see what I meen. I guess passion to some is just a fad with others.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©