3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Archery, my dog, 3 Sheriffs, and the neighbors. A short story.  (Read 479 times)

Offline Liquid Courage

• Trad Bowhunter
I have a house on a little over half an acre and I shoot almost everyday. I have to put my German Shepherd (Jax) inside due to him chasing after the arrows every time I shoot and then just standing in front of the target waiting for the next arrow to "chase".
I decided to shoot with him today in order to try to get him to be able to stay with me while I shoot. I attached his 10 foot leash to the fence next to me and commenced lobbing arrows down range . Well every time I shoot Jax would go nuts, he wanted to chase the arrows. He whined and barked the whole time. So I gave up and stopped shooting for the day.
About 20 minutes later the door knocks and three Sheriffs are there. They were informed by a neighbor that a dog was being abused at my address. I told them that my dog has never been abused. After going over everything, the Sheriffs and I determined that it does sound like a dog is being beat when you loose an arrow, it hits the yellow jacket target with a thump followed by a loud whining dog wanting to chase the arrow.

I need to move and get some land.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Archery, my dog, 3 Sheriffs, and the neighbors. A short story.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 06:55:00 PM »
So they made the report based soley on what they heard?
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Liquid Courage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 07:07:00 PM »
Yes, when the leaves are up you cannot even see into my backyard from where I shoot.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 07:09:00 PM »
Three whole sheriffs?  Sheesh
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Liquid Courage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 07:19:00 PM »
They seemed perturbed at first,  but once they entered my house we talked and my three kids started on them and they were fine. I really think they thought they were going to actual make an arrest or something. It is completely ridiculous.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 07:32:00 PM »
It is never ridiculous when somebody calls the police on you without knowing anything about the situation. Bad neighbors! Yeah, you need to move for a coup[le of different reasons.
Sam

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 08:06:00 PM »
Man, that stinks! Glad you got it all worked out.

Bisch

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 08:19:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

I love GSDs - got a 24 month old right now that is just primo!  A little marker training might nip that behavior in the bud...just sayin'...

Keep the wind in your face!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Recurve7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 08:45:00 PM »
I certainly understand the arrows pumping up Jax. I have two German Shepherds that I'm doing Schutzhund training with and they go ballistic when I shoot. It kicks them into
" prey drive " with one shot. I appreciate concerned neighbors, however, would hope they would have enough confidence in me to at least get some facts before calling in the troops. Oh well, sounds like you have a great German Shepherd any way..

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 09:45:00 PM »
I think I might make a point of doing a LOT more shooting under the exact same circumstances!

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 10:31:00 PM »
A larger view might indicate everyone involved tried to do the right thing.  You were inconvenienced, and have a report on file, but cooler heads prevailed in the end. The deputies might end up being you advocate so day.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 11:22:00 PM »
I think it's a good thing when people care enough about dogs to care if one is being mistreated. it is kind of humorous in a way that the neighbors heard the thwack of the arrow hitting the target, and then the dog howling, and came to the wrong conclusion.  But I'm glad it turned out okay for you and your dog.

I shoot with two people almost every day, and we all have dogs.  My border collie is probably better trained than I am, and all I have to do is think something and she is on it.  Another friend's dog is a catahoula, and is also pretty well trained (no bias here!). They stay with us at the shooting stakes until we move forward.  The third dog is a mix of golden retriever and other things.  She goes and sits in front of the targets, not for any particular reason, just because that's what she wants to do.  Since it is way too late to train her to do any better, we just put up with it until she decides to move on somewhere else.  Which might be a while, but that's okay, because we fire too many arrows too fast anyway, and it's good to take a break every now and then.

It sounds like your dog is young enough to train to do whatever you want, including finding lost arrows, if that's what you both want to do.  But communicating with another species is not that easy.  Compare with communicating with one's own wife, which many of us have difficulty with, and they're supposed to be the same species we are.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 12:29:00 AM »
Thats a good story.  I like the timing of arrow hitting + dog cry ing.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 01:47:00 AM »
That's funny. Had them out to my place when I was playing with some calls one day.  My boarder collie ausie mix goes to his room (under the shed) when I shoot. Then he comes out to help me find the arrows.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 05:47:00 AM »
Someone called 911 and the deputies arrived to investigate.  A complaint has to be written up with their findings.

Upset with 3 LEO showing up? With what is going on in todays world of anti police, I don't blame them.  After all a weapon was involved in the complaint.

It worked out so I would leave it at that.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 07:21:00 AM »
3 - slow day I guess.
SWA Spyder

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 08:01:00 AM »
Let me see the neighbors heard what they thought was a dog being beaten and cared enough to call the police.  I don't see anything wrong.  Would you have rather they mind their own business when something real is happening at your place?  What if they hear gunshots or one of the kids in trouble?

I'm on the neighbors side here.  Sounds like the dog is not a good idea when you are shooting.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 08:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jon Stewart:
Someone called 911 and the deputies arrived to investigate.  A complaint has to be written up with their findings.

Upset with 3 LEO showing up? With what is going on in todays world of anti police, I don't blame them.  After all a weapon was involved in the complaint.

It worked out so I would leave it at that.
X2
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 08:10:00 AM »
I am also on the neighbor's side. I know that it sucks that the officers showed up.
Keep em Sharp!

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 08:10:00 AM »
16 officers have been shot and killed from Jan to June this year.

Really guys, you are grumbling over 3 officers showing up to a call that involved weapon.

You need to do a ride along for a day. I know after my wife did one she promised never to complain about my crappy attitude when I came home from a rough night on the streets.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©