3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Archery, my dog, 3 Sheriffs, and the neighbors. A short story.  (Read 480 times)

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Archery, my dog, 3 Sheriffs, and the neighbors. A short story.
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 08:18:00 AM »
The problem is no one knows their neighbors anymore....

That being said, the system worked the way it was intended (911, LE, etc..) In the end there was an innocent explanation but that's not always the case.

Offline 1kwikstik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 08:59:00 AM »
My dogs tuck their tales an run to the other side of the yard. Guess theyve seen me shoot too many times!
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others lasts forever.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2015, 09:19:00 AM »
I'm glad the neighbors were concerned about the dog - I'm just afraid the police may show up at my place.  I have 2 Great Danes, and the older one HATES getting his nails trimmed. I usually do it on the back porch, and sometimes he start crying like he's being beat to death.       :eek:    

And for clarification, several people have mentioned that 3 officers showed up because there was a weapon involved. The police did NOT know that a weapon was involved before they arrived.
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
My guess is three officers showed up because there is someone present (the owner) and a dog. That's two objects/beings to deal with. The third officer was to bring the odds into the favor of the LEOs in case something went wrong. Or at least have another set of eyes watching for any problems. LEOs nationwide are on high alert with the anti-police swing of the pendulum. Each just wants to go home when the shift is over, under the power of their own feet.

Introduce yourself to your neighbor and see if they are neighborly. If they ain't, then you tired.

Retired LEO here.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2015, 12:09:00 PM »
Do it again and when your done stuff a dog size bag in the garbage can out by the road for every one to see.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2015, 01:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jon Stewart:
16 officers have been shot and killed from Jan to June this year.

Really guys, you are grumbling over 3 officers showing up to a call that involved weapon.

You need to do a ride along for a day. I know after my wife did one she promised never to complain about my crappy attitude when I came home from a rough night on the streets.
How would they know if there was a weapon? neighbor thought that the slap of the arrow hitting the target was the dog being hit - so they had no idea. Nothing indicated a weapon was involved. Sorry at this point it is just an investigation - 3 seems a little much. Plenty of Dept's wouldn't be able to spare the manpower for a call like that.
SWA Spyder

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2015, 01:34:00 PM »
At least they did not swat team your property.  I had a neighbor call the cops on me.  There were baby rabbits outside, so Ii turned off the inside lights and shined a bright flashlight at them from inside the house so I could see them.  The cops came flying up the street and stormed into the house across the street, where no one was home. The woman came home while they were in her house. Later while walking my dog, I talked to the cop and asked him what was going on across the street. He told me that someone was in there and shining a flashlight out the window.  I told him that it was me and I was shining a flashlight at baby rabbits, I had to turn the lights off so I could see better.  Then he asked why couldn't I watch the rabbits from my own house. I said, 'I did'.  He said, 'who was in that house?' I said, 'You were.'  Two months later the woman across the street called the cops and reported that there were two men, taking out what appeared to be bows and arrows and waiting outside of her house.  Same cop came flying up the street. With a smile, he asked if we had seen anything.  I reported on the two smaller bucks that came by me that morning.  Then he said, 'You should tell the people that live across this street to mind their own damn business.'

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2015, 02:00:00 PM »
Guess we can second guess this all day long.  I read it as your neighbor heard a loud noise and then your dog barking. Reported animal cruelty, correct? How were the deputies suppose to know what was going on without showing up and with back up.

How are they suppose to know what was being used to beat the dog in the suspected animal cruelty.

Now was there two police units, one with command and a unit with two deputies.

Don't you really hope that the officers had the back up in case they needed it.

I am sure we all have "anti" police stories.

I worked the streets for 15 years and plain clothes for ten years. I was hospitalized 5 times in that 25 years.  Ask my wife and kids how they feel about this BS whining that is going on.

As mentioned, go introduce yourself to your neighbors, let them know your dog barks when you shoot you bow.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2015, 02:20:00 PM »
I am calling PETA, by not letting your dog chase the arrows, it is mental abuse.
My crazy border collie chewed up a dozen new axis traditionals, fletched, never shot. I thought for a second of abusing him.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Liquid Courage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 08:31:00 PM »
This was not meant to be an anti-police post. My wife is a PA at an ER and she needs them almost daily due to irate and intoxicated individuals among other types of people. I appreciate all law enforcement personal.
The only report on record is the 911 call. I called to get an actual incident report and the Sheriffs office said that there will not be an official incident report. He mentioned a code 1080 something that means that the incident in question was false. So all good in that area. I also talked to a Sheriff's office about the number of officers needed to respond to this type of call. It was more of a matter of safety and availability than anything else. It could have been one, it ended up being three.
The neighbors that made the call apparently think I beat my dog so that needs to be addressed at some point. Probably go over there tonight to talk. In the mean time the dog gets put inside whenever I shoot.

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2015, 06:58:00 AM »
Unbelievable how a short story can get blown all out of proportion.

LC....funny story, thanks for posting it

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2015, 07:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
Let me see the neighbors heard what they thought was a dog being beaten and cared enough to call the police.  I don't see anything wrong.  Would you have rather they mind their own business when something real is happening at your place?  What if they hear gunshots or one of the kids in trouble?

I'm on the neighbors side here.  Sounds like the dog is not a good idea when you are shooting.

Mike
+1
T ZZZZ

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2015, 07:22:00 AM »
I think, without trying to get too philosophical this early in the morning, that this speaks to a much larger problem.

We no longer have a sense of community in America.

We watch TV instead.

That's a disservice to each of us.  We are the poorer for it.

As a real estate agent I see it all too often- even in situations where there's a homeowners' association people just don't know their neighbors any more.

If there's one thing we could all do to help ourselves it's to give up an evening, go to the store, grab some chicken and hamburger, fire up the grill, and invite your block to the back yard for a cookout.

Get to know your neighbors well- they can help you, you can help them. You never know when that next tornado, hurricane, blizzard, gas main explosion, earthquake, plane crash, etc will happen. We need more neighborliness, not more reality tv in our lives.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2015, 08:18:00 AM »
Ray Hammond and another previous post have IMHO summed up the problem.  
Todays society has degraded immensely. We no longer live in a society where,neighbors care/watchout for each other, let alone know each other.

I am just as guilty, so am am not throwing stones here at anyone.

Something we all need to work on I guess.

Just take a good look at our government, we destroy the family heritage at every turn.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline Liquid Courage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2015, 11:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by Stickbow:
Unbelievable how a short story can get blown all out of proportion.

LC....funny story, thanks for posting it
Yep. It was not meant to be anything other than sharing an event that happened. Not faulting the neighbors or the Sheriffs. Everyone reacted accordingly. I talked to the neighbors and they apologized for calling 911 and not coming over to see what was going on first. I told them what was actually going on and that there was not an actual incident report filed.
Everything is good now.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2015, 02:41:00 PM »
Gee,how I wish Tradgang had "Like" buttons... there's more than one reply here that I would have hit the "like" button on.

We have some of the most level headed thinkers on here.

:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2015, 06:57:00 PM »
Good to hear of the follow up LC. Hopefully you and the neighbor can share a brew when it's all over...
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2015, 07:14:00 AM »
My initial response to this story was, "Neighbors. Yuck!" But after reading all the replies, have to agree with Mudd that there are some really level headed guys on this site. Each side on this issue has valid points. Glad to see the incident was resolved amicably.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2015, 12:25:00 PM »
Now see if you can get your neighbor shooting a stickbow, LC!!   :thumbsup:

Good work on the follow-up.

If you see those deputies out on patrol, invite them to the stick and string as well.  ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2015, 01:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
Now see if you can get your neighbor shooting a stickbow, LC!!     :thumbsup:  

Good work on the follow-up.

If you see those deputies out on patrol, invite them to the stick and string as well.    ;)  
I like this post the best.    :clapper:

I live out in the country where there are a lot of 40-80 acre spreads and larger. Lots of hay fields, Christmas tree farms and more and mor folks growing grapes..... Anyway..... it's a more rural atmosphere were shooting coyotes in your back yard isn't uncommon......  

Even still.... i was hiking down the country road with my back pack and my bow just hunting rabbits and ground squirrels in the brush along side the road just  getting in shape for elk hunting, when i had a county police officer pull up behind me.

I asked him if there was a problem? He said no.... no problem with me hiking with my bow. The problem was that someone called the police about a military looking guy walking down the road with a lethal  weapon.....  I did have my light weight camo pants and pack, but looked anything but military.... He just laughed and asked to see my bow..... as it turned out he stopped by my shop and visited after he got off his shift. I thought that was cool.....

Times have changed over the years and folks are spooked..... I vote for getting to know your neighbors, and think carefully about how you may look to others.... even in the country folks get spooked.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©