3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: testing file sharpen broadheads  (Read 246 times)

Offline blacktailchaser

• Trad Bowhunter
testing file sharpen broadheads
« on: July 06, 2015, 08:40:00 PM »
i have been practicing some file sharping broadheads..BUT,my question is how do some of you guys test the heads to see if there sharp enough for hunting...thanks john

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: testing file sharpen broadheads
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 08:42:00 PM »
if they shave hair its sharp enough
Kevin Day

Offline Recurve7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 09:08:00 PM »
I have a wood dowell  rod about 8" long, with a insert glued in one end. This is my handle. I use a file to establish a good edge and then a diamond stone.  I use same procedure as I do with my knives, with the file being the exception. In a short time the will shave hair, I know they are ready then..Theoretically you should sharpen in the same direction as you are cutting. Thus, broadheads should be sharpened from the point to the rear. I used this method years ago, however., now I'm not convinced its worth the effort.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 09:10:00 PM »
If the heads easily slice a rubber band with minimal pressure in one pass they're ready.

I never was one to shave animals.  :)  

I'd rather cut their arteries. Rubber bands simulate that pretty well.

I sharpen with TruAngle file blocks then strop on a piece of leather.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 03:21:00 AM »
I like to serrate broadheads with a file. It should feel keen, like if you were to run a finger down it front to back, you will get cut.  When I show guys how I do it, the test is to slice a chunk off of a leather belt.  Then you can touch test the rest in comparison. I use an arrow holder to stabilize the arrow and make certain that my file strokes are very machine like to achieve a very flat surface.  If you want a smoother filed edge, it can be stropped on a leather belt.  If it will slice that belt serrated or smooth it is plenty sharp.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 06:32:00 AM »
I used to bald my arms and legs shaving hair every fall, but it gets old. My dog won't hold still either, so that's out. Truthfully, I've been doing it for so long / same way that I can predict with certainty whether an edge is finished. To confirm, I clip a couple hairs off my arm and that's it. During the season I take good care of my broadheads mainly so I can grow my arm hair back.

Any head which will easily catch and slice the edge of a sheet of paper is more than sharp enough for hunting.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 07:27:00 AM »
take an old small picture frame- say a 5x7 or 6x8, and wrap it with rubber bands in both directions...say about 25 or 30 going one way, and 25 or 30 going the other...so its like a crossword puzzle of rubber band "squares".  

push your sharpened broadhead through that- if one rubber band slides,rather than popping, it's indicative that you missed something and might need to work it one more time...they should literally pop as they are touched.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 07:28:00 AM »
take an old small picture frame- say a 5x7 or 6x8, and wrap it with rubber bands in both directions...say about 25 or 30 going one way, and 25 or 30 going the other...so its like a crossword puzzle of rubber band "squares".  

push your sharpened broadhead through that- if one rubber band slides,rather than popping, it's indicative that you missed something and might need to work it one more time...they should literally pop as they are touched.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »
if it digs into your thumbnail its good to go.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 09:45:00 AM »
I too test them by shaving hair off my arms and legs.  Drives my wife nuts saying it looks like "a dog with mange".   ;)
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 11:23:00 AM »
Do what Ray said. Then take the same broad head and see how it shaves. That way you will have a shaving ability reference for when you run out of rubber bands. You will run out of rubber bands because seeing them pop is so cool.

Ray is a sharpening wizzard. Follow his directions and you can't go wrong.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 12:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kevin Dill:
I used to bald my arms and legs shaving hair every fall, but it gets old. My dog won't hold still either, so that's out. Truthfully, I've been doing it for so long / same way that I can predict with certainty whether an edge is finished. To confirm, I clip a couple hairs off my arm and that's it. During the season I take good care of my broadheads mainly so I can grow my arm hair back.

Any head which will easily catch and slice the edge of a sheet of paper is more than sharp enough for hunting.
X2 on what Kevin said.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©