3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 9th and possibly my final season.  (Read 382 times)

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
9th and possibly my final season.
« on: July 08, 2015, 04:05:00 PM »
Well, this will be my 9th season trying to get my first deer ever. If I can't get it done this year, I am thinking of hanging up hunting all together. I have some military related issues and had a 1 and 1 million chance reaction to some medication prescribed by the VA, and now cannot work. Due to hard times, I have sold just about everything worth anything in my sporting equipment.

I want to give recognition to a wonderful man and bowyer in PA. for donating a longbow to me! Just received this beauty in the mail and I'm really liking the way it shoots. 64" "A" Stalker, 44# @ 28". Purple Heart/Osage with one lamb of bamboo between the Osage in limbs. If interested in the maker, PM me and I'll send info. Cannot list as he is not a Sponsor here but, a really great guy and the bow was donated to me by him. Because of my condition, I am struggling to shoot for more than 10-15 arrows a day but, hoping to build my strength back up before the end of next month. Nerve damage in my arms is making life horrible and pulling the bow is a chore but, not ready to give up yet!    :D    

Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 9th and possibly my final season.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 04:10:00 PM »
Might be time to pull the string and, dare I say, a trigger.

Wishing you well. Above all, take care of yourself. If you have a burning desire to hunt, maybe another weapon is now needed. Regardless, keep trying and do what you're capable of.

Prayers your way.

And kudos to the donor of the bow!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 04:12:00 PM »
Very sad to hear your of misfortune. If you were closer I would put you in front of some deer. Hope/pray your that 1/1,000,000!!!!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 04:12:00 PM »
Very sad to hear your of misfortune. If you were closer I would put you in front of some deer. Hope/pray your that 1/1,000,000!!!!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 04:26:00 PM »
Thanks guys! I am also looking to be tree stand or tree seat bound as I cannot do the all day stalking anymore. Gonna miss the ground game as I see more deer that way.   :rolleyes:

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 05:33:00 PM »
Best of luck to you TW. I wish you well.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »
I pray the best for you. Because you are  here you must love archery. I hope you can keep it.  

Certainly I don't have your physical issues. But, myself and countless others here have gone through long periods of being unable to shoot. My longest was from one December to the following August. But, things worked out and we returned.

I know this can't be the case for everyone but I hope it can be for you.  

One of the most persistent stories I've heard is from one here on Trad Gang how went decades without a harvest. Then he killed a bear (great thread here).  I've read many of your posts here. I can tell you enjoy the archery journey and all it entails.

I have a good friend in the Medford/Grants Pass area. I don't suppose you are from that area?

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 05:40:00 PM »
Good luck to you. Too bad you can't come to MD because I could put you in front of deer on the ground. Can't guarantee it's wilderness but they are wild deer.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 05:44:00 PM »
Very sorry to hear about your hard times T.W. !!! Hopefully things turn around soon. I know the bowyer your talking about. Mark is a great guy.   :thumbsup:

Bill

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 05:45:00 PM »
I want to make note that the VA is doing great at getting me the help I need. The reaction I had could not be foreseen so, it was not really any ones fault. By the time they figured out what was causing the problem, the damage to the nerves in my arms was done. Still a good chance that it might go away though!     :pray:  

Bill, you are absolutely right! He is one heck of a guy and I would love to get him out here in Oregon for some hunting.

Roy, I am actually further north about 5 hours up I-5. I live in Albany, OR but, do have relatives in Medford.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »
I thank you for your service and sacrifice.  It's folks like you that make this country great.  I hope and pray you not only have a successful season but that you recover and have many more.

Selfishly, I really enjoy your posts come hunting season and I don't want those to end!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 08:39:00 PM »
X2 Colin, TW just one on good shot a day is all you need. Usually that is all we are going to get at them anyhow. Hoping you have a great and memorable season    :thumbsup:
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 08:41:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about that and thank you for your service. I wish you the best and hope you have a speedy recovery so you can return to your quest with the bow. Don't let this problem keep you down, if you can hunt with other weapons by all means do if you love hunting and being out in the woods. I wish you well and good luck.....Gary

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 09:11:00 PM »
"purple heart" is fitting for a soldier.

It's surprising with the cornucopia of drugs today, there aren't more problems like yours... everyone's system is a bit different.

Some holistic things like nutritional supplements help repair nerve damage... again, not for everyone, but perhaps another stone to turn over...course, they cost $$ and times are tight as you say...

If I had arm strength issues, I do NOT think I'd want to be tree stand hunting, not even from a nice firm ladder--- seems it would still be risky getting up and down.

Hopefully, you have a pard to hunt with.

Keep the Faith, and prayers for healing!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 09:19:00 PM »
If I had arm strength issues, I do NOT think I'd want to be tree stand hunting, not even from a nice firm ladder--- seems it would still be risky getting up and down.
Didn't even think of this but, you are correct! Don't want to be going up and down a tree when I can barely do 4 pushups. With the nerve damage, I have lost some muscle strength due to lack of use. I hunted last year using my Torges tree seat and that is a great option for my situation this year.

Thank you all for the well wishes and prayers. Like I said, hopefully it will get better over time and I can continue this quest of mine. I do love the woods and hunting so, time will tell.

Selfishly, I really enjoy your posts come hunting season and I don't want those to end!!

I have had some fun to tell the truth! Wouldn't trade any moment of it. Hopefully I'll have a whopper for everyone this year~   :goldtooth:

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 09:40:00 PM »
Thanks for your service! Hang in there and good luck to you! I have a feeling this is your year!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 10:06:00 PM »
Sorry to hear of your trouble TW.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a full recovery.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 10:10:00 PM »
VA can do good and...then.....I also have seizure/ nerve issues. They seem to be at a loss to explain, but can they  ever prescribe meds!   Endeavor to preserve Friend, and know there are many here to support you.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 10:36:00 PM »
Your in my prayers
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 11:17:00 PM »
I hate to hear that you are hurting T.W. I will certainly keep you in my prayers. I think the tree seat might be just the thing for you, no reason to hang it up just yet. Hopefully, this will be the year    :archer:
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©