3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk Hunting Read  (Read 226 times)

Offline JNewman

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk Hunting Read
« on: July 08, 2015, 06:43:00 PM »
Hey  Everyone

found myself with a dislocated knuckle, with sprained remainder of the same finger on the index finger of my string hand.  Just wandering what some great elk hunting reads would be, while I not practice or small game hunt with my bow.

thinking "man made of elk", was also looking into mike Lapinski's books but they are hard to find.

what else is there?

Jesse

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk Hunting Read
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »
Your's are good choices.  I like Lapinski's stuff, good read and food for thought.  Peterson is a heck of a writer.  I don't always agree with him, but he sure sticks my nose in the stuff and makes me think about it.  Another great writer, though I am not aware of any "just elk", is E Don Thomas.  His book " How Sportsmen Saved the World" is one I wish everybody would read.
ChuckC

Offline MAW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 01:05:00 PM »
I'm actually just about to finish Peterson's "Man Made of Elk". It's a solid read and well worth your time, but in my humble opinion, a little long on the "campfire philosephy". Peterson's views and insight on traditional bowhunting vs. the modern Outdoor Channel view of hunting, are absolutely spot on. He "gets it" and can put it into words better than anyone I've ever heard, and I wish he devoted more time to that subject. But, his spiritual beliefs and resuting worldviews are vastly different from mine, so I'm rarely on the same page with him philosophically, though his musings are certainly interesting and thought provoking. His intellect and thoughtfulness are without question, and I would LOVE to share a campfire with the guy. Just my unsolicited 2 cents...
I also just finished a more recent work of his entitled "Going Trad". Also a solid read and well worth you time.

Offline sveltri

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 01:57:00 PM »
"A Quiet Place of Violence" an essay on hunting ethics and hunting stories.  Its one of my favorite reads and provides some great arguments for anti's.

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 02:19:00 PM »
This probably goes without saying, and elk are not mentioned once, but EVERYONE who hunts, fishes, or just exists should read "The Old Man and the Boy" by Ruark.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 03:04:00 PM »
Lapinski's books are excellent, IMO.  Your local library may be able to get them for you.  

As long as we're straying from the topic a little, might want to consider a copy of "A Sand County Almanac," by Aldo Leopold. Relatively inexpensive in paperback, and a book that should be read by anyone who is interested in any facet of the outdoors. The best book on a land ethic ever.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 05:41:00 PM »
Elk Ecology and Management by Towiell

Read it an apply it to your  hunting style.  You'll never regret it.

Also, Elk country by Geist.  Those two are easily my most referenced

To go with Lapinskis stuff, 'ELK tactics' by Don Laubach, another old but good one, take it for what its worth.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 12:52:00 AM »
Sand County is one of those rare books that you open up anywhere and you become instantly involved in the story. I've read it front to back many times but also from every other part of the book.Its not just a book its  a way of life.

Offline ForrestGator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 12:27:00 AM »
Judd Cooney writes some really good stuff I've always thought, I don't know if he has anything elk specific though.

Offline TWP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 08:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
Lapinski's books are excellent, IMO.  Your local library may be able to get them for you.  

As long as we're straying from the topic a little, might want to consider a copy of "A Sand County Almanac," by Aldo Leopold. Relatively inexpensive in paperback, and a book that should be read by anyone who is interested in any facet of the outdoors. The best book on a land ethic ever.
I read that book last September during a mule deer hunt in the Aldo Leopold Wilderness, thought it was fitting.

Offline Tejasmick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 10:23:00 PM »
Not all elk, but plenty of elk stories.  If you have not read Glenn St. Charles' "Bows of the Little Delta", it will provide a lot of entertainment and 'keep your candle lit" during your recover.

Sorry to hear about your hand just before hunting seasons.  You have my sympathies.  Prayers for a quick and full recover.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©