3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need Advice  (Read 507 times)

Offline turdyptbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Need Advice
« on: July 09, 2015, 04:44:00 PM »
I've decided to go full trad! I just sold my compound bow.

I have a York longbow and Quillian longbow (for sale) that I've been practicing with the last 2 years and now Im ready to buy a long term bow that fits me.

I like these longbows just need something in the 45-50lb range. I really like the Bear Montana and have shot it at Bass Pro. I also shot the Grizzly and liked it. Im torn because I like the longbows for the forgiveness of form which mine may have been bad because I was over bowed.
Could get better with lower draw weight. I like the recurves because of the shorter length for hunting. My top 3 bows I've been looking at are the Bear Montana, Bear Super Grizzly, or the Martin Hunter. I'm 6'3 and draw length is around 29ish. Just looking for y'alls opinions. Thanks in advance!!

Offline turdyptbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 04:59:00 PM »
I forgot to mention that money is an issue.  I need to stay under $500.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »
Mike at Maddog archery, if custom fit plus quality for less than $500 is the goal, he is your man.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 05:04:00 PM »
you have selected 3 fabulous hunting bows.  It's all personal preference.  
We are glad you're here on tradgang!  Have fun.

I have shot all 3, owned one and am casually shopping for the other 2 on your list.  All 3 are great
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 05:31:00 PM »
since you want advice, and I was in your shoes, I would consider becoming a contributor and browsing the classifieds. a  lot of bows including the ones you mentioned can be had far less than 500. Heck you may even get both for that amount.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 05:34:00 PM »
You don't need shorter length for hunting.  Given your draw length, a 58-inch Grizzly is going to feel a little stiff ( i.e., stack) and will probably yield some finger pinch.

With a 29 inch draw length, a 60-inch recurve, or better yet 62 inches, which is what I think the Hunter is, or 64-inch moderate r/d bow like a Bear Montana would be a good choice.  66 inches in a longbow would be even better.  

Can find lots of good used bows for less than $500 on this site.  Good luck.

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 07:31:00 PM »
The Bear Grizzly is a good bow for someone with a 27" draw.  A used Super Kodiak should work better for 29", if a Bear bow is what you like, the Super K 64" would be even better.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 08:08:00 PM »
Ok.  Since you did ask for advice.  Find a used 62" Grizzly.  I suggest 1959 or newer.
You will not regret it
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 08:13:00 PM »
I agree with the above.  Another sleeper is a RedWing hunter.

ChuckC

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 08:32:00 PM »
I just shot a few arrows out of my buddies Maddog longbow, I am going back to my first post.

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 08:28:00 AM »
I will second the Red Wing Hunter.  I have a bunch of '59 to '62 Bears, but my go to hunting bow is a Red Wing Hunter. It is a fantastic shooting bow.  Smooth,fast, and easy to use in the field.

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 08:41:00 AM »
If you become a contributor here and check the classifieds regularly, you can almost find any bow for under $500. That amount will go a long way and really opens up your choices.

If you'd like something custom, Mike at Maddog is definitely the way to go.

If you want a big name expensive bow at a good price, the classifieds here is the way to go.

If you want a brand new factory made bow, the ones you listed are a good option. I personally like the Montana the most, and you can get a used one on here ~ half of what they go for new.

Don't go buying the first thing you see, try and shoot as many as you can. Attend a trad shoot near you if you can, and try to shoot as many types of bows as possible. Finding the right style bow for you is a long journey, you just need to be patient enough to not spend a million dollars doing it  :D

Good luck in your search!
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 12:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
since you want advice, and I was in your shoes, I would consider becoming a contributor and browsing the classifieds. a  lot of bows including the ones you mentioned can be had far less than 500. Heck you may even get both for that amount.
What he said
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline turdyptbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »
Thank y'all for the helpful advice! I'll have to make a decision eventually so i can be ready for October. Thanks again!

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2015, 09:52:00 AM »
I wouldn't buy a bow to use and hunt with without shooting it first. All three mentioned are good choices. I am a Bear fan and have many different styles.

I would look for a used Bear Kodiak Hunter , Bear Kodiak or Super Kodiak.  All are really nice hunting bows and you should be able to find a good used one for under $200.00.

Find someone in your area that may have a few bows to look at and try.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2015, 11:15:00 AM »
This time of year I'd go to every 3D shoot or archery related activity and shoot as many different long bows I could get my hands on to help with the decision. The more bows you shoot the better chance of finding the "right" bow for your needs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2015, 11:16:00 AM »
Can't help but wonder at 6'3" that as you gather more experience, you may find that your draw opens to something closer to 30" or even 31."  Acquiring a recurve that is 62" or even better, 64" could be a safe option at 29" or up.  I echo what others have said about becoming a sponser and getting a quality used bow here at your price.  Most of us have gone through many used bows before settling on what works best for the individual.  Scott

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2015, 12:46:00 PM »
If I were you I would join The classifieds here and get a used custom bow. I definitely prefer the recurve, I just like the curves and the way the bows are built as well as the ability to have a slightly shorter length.
If you're going with the longbow I would definitely recommend a Teolke  Www.Montanabows.com.
If you're going with the Recurve, my favorites are Shafer silvertip and TallTines.
Regardless, I would definitely get a used bow if you're wanting to stay under $500 you can find a real nice one.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2015, 06:58:00 AM »
A used Mohawk of the desired specs should fall well within your price range.

The bows you have mentioned are nice bows of which I am quite familiar. The Mohawks ,personally, have always noticeably and discernibly performed at the next level.

Particular bows of choice are exceedingly personal. There is a significant number of prominent Trad Gang members and excellent hunters that wouldn't part with their beloved Mohawk.

Certainly am hopeful that you obtain your bow of choice and that you two share a splendid traditional experience.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2015, 10:23:00 AM »
Buy a Montana and never look back...it will save you a lifetime of misery and thousands of dollars.

I had a Grizzly for over 40 years and then succumbed to the curiosity about what other bows might be like. I am NOT a collector, but I shoot almost every day and now shoot as many as five bows on a regular basis ,always buying, selling and rotating bows in and out. Alas. The good news has been revealed above..buy used and you can feel much better about buying a used bow that you couldnt afford new, or about letting go of a bow in order to try another. I also can confirm that a mid-1960's Wing Red Wing Hunter is a smooth-drawing , fast shooting bow that is hard to beat and works well for a 29"-ish draw and you can find them used in the $150-200 range. I shoot longer bows more accurately than shorter bows but like carrying short bows on roves in the woods, too, so I'm hopelessly overbowed, as in too many bows. AND REMEMBER: you almost never get a chance to whack game with your bow..you have to shoot it with an arrow. Good arrows and bowstrings are at least as important as the bow. So dont bust your budget on the bow when you dont need to and spend some of it on the right arrows and string  for you and your bow. Good luck, and have fun..there are so many wonderful bows - and arrows and strings -  out there to discover.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©