3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bow quivers and wooden arrows  (Read 246 times)

Offline daddymonster

• Trad Bowhunter
bow quivers and wooden arrows
« on: July 09, 2015, 09:31:00 PM »
Hi there, I have been shooting recurve for a while  but am simplifying and changing to a long bow for a bunch of reasons. I currently have a back quiver but am REALLY fed up with my arrows catching on branches overhead.
1.I was wondering what sort of quiver people are using for hunting in heavy scrub (lots of that in NZ).

I have read different comments about arrows for hunting. They have been; tapered arrows give you better penetration; wooden arrows are not consistent enough; Wooden arrows are too susceptible to weather changes; carbon arrows are the way to go; carbon arrows can shatter;

So what are peoples thoughts about wooden vs carbon, straight vs taper...
whether you believe you can or believe you can't you are right.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow quivers and wooden arrows
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 09:50:00 PM »
Yeah, those Snaggy branches and the need to carry a pack are what keeps me from using a back quiver.  I use a side quiver that slings across the shoulder. A bow quiver is okay but it makes for difficult Carry,  at least for me.  And, it will be on the bow while hunting, it needs to be there while you practice as well.

Wood parallel, Wood tapered, it's all good.  Matched arrows that shoot well for you is more important than what they are made of, IMO.   Have never used carbon, but plenty of hunters do.  Once again, they mainly need to fly well for you.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 09:53:00 PM »
First off, I prefer a Selway slide on bow quiver on my longbows.

Re wood vs carbon.  Carbon is more durable than the softwoods like cedar, spruce and fir, but hardwoods like birch, maple, ash, hickory and a few others give carbon a run for their money in durability.

Very little difference between tapered woodies and parallel. Tapering takes about 20-30 grains off the tail end of the arrow, adding about 1% FOC.  Arrows will recover/straighten just a little faster if tapered, but not enough so most would notice.  I shoot both.  

Wood arrows are plenty consistent and accurate.  If well made, and correctly matched to the bow, they're every bit as accurate as carbons, and usually quieter.  I could go on, but you get the picture.   Shoot what appeals to you.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 10:19:00 PM »
I have used about every style of quiver for bow hunting.
My go to the last 5 years has been a modified GFA side quiver.
Easy on of if needed and can tuck it away when moving through brush. Easy access to arrows with minimal movement.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 11:08:00 PM »
When I switched from right to left hand, getting my arrows hung up was the toughest part of the changes. I had to learn to lead with the other or when ducking around low branches.  If you have a Hill style back quiver it is important that you can sling it under your arm when going through thick cover. Once that becomes habit and simply learning which branches will grab your arrows to side step or half duck around the back quiver is the easiest quiver to hunt with.  I have seen those that continue to try plow through and then cuss out the quiver, a Selway could be a better option, but then the thing is always hanging on the bow.
Those old rubber quicky jobs were the best, put your wood arrows in them in the warmth of your house, in a short time out in the cold, it took a crow bar to get them out, often leaving a chunk of the wood arrow behind.

Offline kshunter55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 11:19:00 PM »
For heavy brush the great northern bow quiver is my favorite.  It doesn't fan the arrows out as much.  I hunt some thick river bottom ground.  The only thing I have trouble with is my bow getting caught where the string and limb come together. Curves are worse than D shaped LB.
"The more you put into something, the more you get out of it"  Rick "Rooster" Dirks

Andy Dirks

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 11:43:00 PM »
Well the wood vs carbon thing is something ya just gotta work out for yourself.... Woodies are cool, woodies are very quiet too... but woodies take TLC and attention, and they don't hold up in the long run near as well as aluminum or carbon....

I prefer carbon for the consistency, toughness, and they are either dead straight or broken. They also snap back out of paradox quicker than any other arrow. Ever hear that old expression,

"straighten up, & fly right".... i think of carbon shafts like that.

The quiver thing is also another personal preference. They make nice hip quivers than many use to hunt with, as well as side quivers that run  on a strap over your shoulder you can access real easy, yet have out of the way.

Personally i like my quiver on my bow for hunting, and a hip quiver for 3D. i like to hide behind it while stalking to break up my face during close encounters, and love the extra weight   and balance it adds to my bow.

here's a couple film clips showing a few different types of quivers in action.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©