3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: WY Cow Elk Hunts  (Read 284 times)

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
WY Cow Elk Hunts
« on: July 10, 2015, 01:32:00 PM »
Since my buddy and I have struck out on all our draw huts we are looking for alternatives.  Anyone have any info on possible cow hunts in WY.  From what I see we would just hunt during the regular season where rifle or archery equipment can be use.  

Any unit suggestions where we may be able to get a reduced price tag.  I see 48 may have some but they are saying this is a lot of private.
T ZZZZ

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: WY Cow Elk Hunts
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 03:03:00 PM »
Area 7 may have left over cow calf tags available. It is a mix of Private and public holdings but a lot of folks have luck there. The season is 15 Oct so you would be hunting with rifle folks and would want to wear some orange. That may be your best shot (no pun intended). Also it would be a type 6 be careful of type 7 tags as they can be on private land only. The tags go on sale the 15 of Jul I believe.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 03:19:00 PM »
I see 36 has some left over cow tags/ might look at that.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 10:09:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  I was looking at what is available on the full price tags today.  Don't mind hunting with the gun boys.  I usually share the woods with them during my antelope hunts and that has never been a problem.
T ZZZZ

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 11:55:00 PM »
Tracker 12, unless things have changed from last year and I doubt it, if you have a type 6 cow/calf tag, that is good for the gun season but if you simply buy the archery tag, you can also bow hunt the entire month of September.  Make sure to confirm that once you pick a unit but before you buy the tag.  Why hunt with the gunners if you don't have to?

Hunting a unit with a leftover cow/calf elk tag is a great way to decide if that unit is worth using up all your preference points for a bull tag the next year.  I did just that with a reduced price left-over tag 2 years ago, loved the unit and learned it, and returned last fall to kill a nice bull.  Sadly that unit is sold out this year so I am repeating the process elsewhere.

I hunted 63/64 several years ago and saw a lot of elk, but there were lots of grizzlies and some wolves.  Several maulings nearby over the last few years.  I probably won't return there solo but I see there are plenty of left-over tags there, I bet you can wait and get the reduced price tags there.  Game warden told me that is where the problem bears from Jellystone and Grand Tetons are dumped.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©