3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: cutting bamboo arrows  (Read 388 times)

Offline lleatherwood

• Trad Bowhunter
cutting bamboo arrows
« on: July 10, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
trying to make bamboo arrows.  tried arrow saw I use for carbon/alum on broken piece of bamboo did not work vey well.  what is the best tool for cutting bamboo.  plan on using a wooden dowel in center then will use traditional taper tool for points.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: cutting bamboo arrows
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 08:52:00 PM »
Wrap the area you're going to cut with  a layer of masking tape before you cut it.  Cut off saw blade or wheel should then work fine.  Can do it with a hack saw as well, but may need to true up the end after.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 10:31:00 PM »
What kind of bamboo is it you have?
I use a utility knife and score around the cane then break it or sometimes I use the band saw but rotate the cane while cutting.
 You don't have to fill the center hole either. Just taper the end and glue on the point. I use a belt sander for this. I never had luck with a pencil sharpener type taper toolon cane.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Slimpikins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 11:08:00 PM »
I just use a fine tooth hacksaw.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 07:05:00 AM »
I score the area first with a knife blade also.  Then a small, fine tooth, hacksaw type blade.  I then glue either a hardwood dowel or bamboo skewer in the point end.  After that I use the taper tool but use it slowly.  Good luck!

-Jeremy   :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 11:11:00 AM »
My sharp Fiskars pruner shears, work on my rivercane and wood shafts.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
When I harvest hill cane along the creek on my property I use Felco bypass pruners but when I cut the shaft from the raw cane I score the cane first and break it of use the bandsaw and rotate the cane while cutting. For me at lease, cutting with pruners can crush and crack the cane so I only use it on raw cane.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
I USE A FINE TOOHED COPING SAW.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 12:50:00 PM »
I was taught to use a Japanese saw for cutting bamboo. That is "traditional" when making bamboo fly rods. Of course my mentor is somewhat an.. retentive about how bamboo fly rods are made and fished.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 07:15:00 AM »
Yes Pat B., you could crush them with the pruners.

I should have explained, though not to be aggressive with them like pruning your roses!

I have found with well seasoned "Rivercane", that they cut pretty cleanly. And that in fact I always cut a little long and clean up with file and emery, too.

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 07:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by M60gunner:
I was taught to use a Japanese saw for cutting bamboo. That is "traditional" when making bamboo fly rods. Of course my mentor is somewhat an.. retentive about how bamboo fly rods are made and fished.
This. I have one that I initially used for boatbuilding. Since then I've cut wooden and fiberglass arrow shafts with it, plus anything else where I need fine control and small teeth. Once you get used to the saw, you'll find it hard to use anything else for the same sort of task:

Japanese saw

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©