3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Looking for Recommendations with a new string  (Read 441 times)

Offline Bobtulowiecki

• Trad Bowhunter
Looking for Recommendations with a new string
« on: July 12, 2015, 08:26:00 AM »
I am looking to purchase a new string for my Java Man  "American" longbow and was looking for recommendations on who to go through.  Gregg told me that any of the low stretch string materials as long as the loops are padded additionally would work.  String making might be on next winter's list of things to learn but until then, who do you recommend to purchase from?  Thanks as always

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Looking for Recommendations with a new string
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 09:27:00 AM »
Any of the string maker sponsors on this site will provide excellent strings and excellent service. As responses roll in, you'll hear many different preferences; it's an individual thing, as with most all else in this pastime.

I believe Greg suggests D-10 as a replacement string. Personally, I went to an SBD for a previous r/d performance bow, replacing a Rhino string. Noticeably more quiet with the SBD, and I'll use one again next string. Braveheart Archery has them in stock (and no better service around), or Pierre at SBD will make you a custom.

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 09:40:00 AM »
10 ring strings are top notch excellent service and craftsmanship nothing else will ever be on any of my bows !
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »
Chad Weaver certainly knows his way around a bow string. I don't think you can go wrong with Chad. Also Chad has a couple of "How To" DVDs on string making that will eliminate your need to look for a string maker.    ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 12:53:00 PM »
Thanks Pat!  There's a FAQ page on my site that might help with questions.  Regardless who you use, I suggest BCY-X for the material.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 02:39:00 PM »
Just curious, how does D-10 compare or differ from the BCY-X?
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 04:07:00 PM »
I just ordered an SBD string for a 50# Bear Ausable. Not long ago I bought a BCY-X string from Champion Custom Bowstrings. It woiuld be comparing apples and tangerines, as the SBD strings I have are 8-strand. The BCY-X string was around 12 strand and they went on 2 different bows. Both perform similarly and both are as well made as any string I've ever seen.

Chad feels he gets better overall performance from more strands. Pierre swears by his 8 - 10 strand strings. I have both; can't ell the difference in performance and will continue to buy from both just to spread the wealth around (if you can call the price of a bowstring wealth    :)    )

Both are a credit to Trad Gang and both are first-class businessmen who are responsive and listen to their customers.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »
Absolutely cannot beat Allen Shafer with Ten Ring Strings! I was 3 or 4 days away from a texas pig trip and my dads string broke on his longbow, called Allen up and got a A++ string to my doorstep in a about 2 days! Talk about service!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 05:07:00 PM »
I have Ten Ring Strings on all my bows...love em!! Allen is a great fella to deal with!

Everyone has a personal preference...but honestly any of the string makers on this site will make u an awesome string.
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 05:11:00 PM »
D-10 is 100% Dyneema.  Think Dynaflight '97.  The highest grade 100% Dyneema material on the market is BCY's 8190 Universal, made with 100% DSM SK-90 Dyneema.

BCY-X is 83% SK-90 Dyneema blended with 17% Vectran.  Think 452X.  The Vectran stabilizes the material, especially in higher temps, and seems to act as a dampener as well (quieter).

I don't think more strands gives you better performance per se'.  I just haven't been able to squeak out a noticeable difference between a moderate strand count and a low strand count.  What I do notice is less stretch, less creep, higher durability, and higher over-all stability.  Olympic and Olympic style shooters usually go with what I consider an over-built string (high strand count) for the best stability.

Will the average 3-D shooter/hunter notice the difference in stability at the distances we shoot?  Probably not, anymore than we will notice 1-3 fps.  If either one is a game changer, you should be shooting for money and Olympic medals.  Seriously.

It boils down to what you like.  I've tried all sorts of materials, strand counts, etc. over the past 20+ years and to date the best for me is 18-20 strands of BCY-X (about the same size as 12 strands of Dynaflight '97).  

Like I say on the FAQ section of my site though...do your own experimenting to see what works best for you.

Chad

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »
Chad, sorry I mis-represented the strand count on your string. I guess you did say it was roughly the same size as 12 strands of Dynaflight '97 - not that it was 12 strands of BCY-X. On my light weight bows, it would be hard to tell the difference.

I will stand by my statement that both your strings and those by Pierre are first rate strings that are real works of art. I've never seen finer.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 06:12:00 PM »
Not a problem--thanks for the good word!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©