3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you need more then #50?  (Read 882 times)

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Do you need more then #50?
« on: July 12, 2015, 11:44:00 AM »
So I was thinking that I needed to start trying to work my way up a bow that's about 55@28.  The more I hunt and the more I shoot I'm starting to think my fast modern 50@28, drawn 29", with skinny string would probably be just find for the bigger game.  What says the experienced bunch?  Just food for thought, new bow is shooting a 650 grain arrow mid-170s.

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you need more then #50?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 11:47:00 AM »
Nope.. Your arrow/broad head and shot placement matter a hell of alot more than the # of your bow.
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »
^
Yep!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 12:22:00 PM »
You know , I am convinced that it is more of a macho thing . When I was in my 20s I had to shoot 80# bows because most people couldn't do it .
Funny thing , the state record for the largest white tail doe in Michigan set back in the early 1960s was done by a woman with a 25# recurve .

:saywhat:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 12:55:00 PM »
I've taken several deer with a 50# bow and 190 grain shark. Blew completly through. Complete pass through on most of them. If you want to go heavier have at it. I shoot 61 right now, just because I want to. If you do and go back to 50 you may find an increase in accuracy. If you don't try something new your not learning any thing new. EXPERINCE counts for a lot. Don't pass up a chance to grow. We all want another bow, even when the one we have works just fine. LOL.  :thumbsup:

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 01:31:00 PM »
Isn't that the truth Robert ! Well said    :clapper:   but for me I'm sticking around the 40 pound mark
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 01:47:00 PM »
It just boils down to shot placement and a very sharp broadhead.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Recurve7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 01:54:00 PM »
50# is most adequate! And, most likely more accurate as mentioned above. It' will be more fun to shoot also. The more you shoot the more accurate you become.  It's just better!  :)

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 02:13:00 PM »
5# difference will make very little difference in any case.  Being able to shoot 55# or more will just make it that much more easy to control your 50# bow.  I won't back down in poundage until I have to, but what is right for me isn't right for everyone.  To answer your question,  If you are actually shooting a 650 grain arrow in the mid 170's, I think you should be able to kill even the largest of hogs with proper shot placement.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 02:27:00 PM »
Read Don Thomas' article in the last Traditional Bowhunter issue. It's about shoulder injuries, which I've had myself. I have a 60# longbow, and a 52# (that I'm currently shooting), and I don't think I will go back to the heavier one. I want to enjoy archery for many more years to come.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 03:22:00 PM »
I'm with Kenny x2, #50 is a great poundage for most big game.

Nice to see a thread for once on here were someone is trying to improve there poundage not drop down.    :thumbsup:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 03:52:00 PM »
650 grain arrow traveling 170 fps is actually on the higher side of the bell curve if you sampled 100 guys I think. More than ample.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 03:55:00 PM »
Most of my bows are what many would consider "wimp" bows - mid 40s. I'm in the process of buying/trading for a 50# Bear AuSable just because I don't have any more that heavy and want to work out with a bit more bow weight. Last year I got total penetration on a 235# pig with my 43# RER XR. I have yet to have an arrow not penetrate a deer and do not feel that I HAVE to shoot heavier.

Of course last year it would have made no difference whether I was shooting 25# or 85#. Never got a shot   :(
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 04:06:00 PM »
There ain't enough difference between 50# and 55# to make any real difference, either in performance on game or ability to control it.
Sam

Offline John McCreary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 05:39:00 PM »
What if we are talking elk? Bear or moose?
Who ever called this the "Golden Years" never lived this long...

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2015, 09:51:00 PM »
If he is really getting that fps with that weight arrow, from everything that I have read, he would be fine.  Pretty great performance.

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2015, 10:09:00 PM »
Do you need more then 50lbs..    I think you can kill most game with 50 lbs with good flight, and a sharp broadhead.

If you can shoot a 60lb bow well, is it an advantage? absolutely. I've seen perfectly place shot out of a 50+ lb recurve get minimal penetration on Moose and Mt. Goat. Hit heavy bone, muscle or hide at a slightly perfect angle and you could get bad results.

Bottom Line is:
More weight is better as long as you don't give up arrow flight or accuracy!

People can say there's not much difference with an extra few pounds but that little bit of extra energy could be the difference between splitting bone and killing the animal and just burring in bone.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »
Well, seems I need one.  I get antsy dropping down to 57#.
ChuckC

Offline Coach Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
My 42 lb Toelke will be with me hunting everything in North America.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=112539

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2015, 10:24:00 PM »
Some 50 pounders can out preform some 60 pounders. I have seen slower 60 pound Hill style bows shoot no faster with the same arrows than a faster 50 pound Hill style bow.  Now if you add a curve or two to the limb design, anything can happen. After a few run ins with moose on canoe trips, I lost my desire to shoot one, but if I did ever go for a moose I would pick a faster bow and a tougher arrow.  I have no trouble shooting heavy bows, but I still do most of my shooting with bows in the low to upper 50s.  As a ground whitetail hunter, shot accuracy and timing and shooting versatility come first. Every so often I take out a heavier bow and shoot a few hundred arrows, being able to do so with a heavy bow makes the bows under 60 shoot better for me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©