3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Evenings or Mornings?  (Read 1413 times)

Re: Evenings or Mornings?
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2015, 01:21:00 AM »
The last time I got before sunrise and planned an all day hunt, I took lots of ice tea, food, wet ones, and a pipe with some good english tobacco. About 10 in the morning I took a nap. I sleep real good late in the mornings.  I woke up later, I didn't know where I was or how I got there, but I did recognize the chocolate lab that was sleeping next to me from a neighboring farm place.  He woke up and was happy to see me.  I was starving so I dug out food, cheese curls and corn beef sandwiches, the dang dog barked begging for his share, which he got.  I found that a thirsty lab will drink iced tea and eat apples.  Later the lab ran a pesky deer off for me and came back really proud of himself, so I shared my salted nut roll with him, which made me thirsty and since I was out of iced tea, I went into town for a coke.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2015, 02:09:00 AM »
My luck on deer and elk is tipped severely to afternoon and evening
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2015, 02:45:00 AM »
For deer I like to hunt the evenings durning the early season up until mid October. Then once the rubs and scrapes really start showing up I start to hunt a lot more in the cooler mornings. Of course durning that special time of year I try to be in the woods all day
I love Bow Hunting

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2015, 05:56:00 AM »
I've had success both morning and evening, probably about 50/50. Mornings  are a great way to start the day though and I prefer taking an animal at that time of day as it gives me much more daylight for tracking should the shot be not as I planned. Had too many come in at "almost dark" making a quality shot very questionable, especially with these old eyes. I actually come out of the woods before dark just so I'm not put in the "do I shoot or don't I" scenario.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2015, 06:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by pavan:
  However, it is  easier for me to get out in the evenings.    I go to bed about when I should be getting up.  Flipping that around is difficult.
I feel your pain partner. Paramedic on the grave yard shift. I love morning hunts but, frankly they just hurt most of the time!

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2015, 07:25:00 AM »
There all good if you have done your homework, have several different stand sites and only hunt the right ones when the wind is right. The more places you have the more choices you can choose from and they don't have to be big peices of ground either.  We would never limit our hunting to just one time of day, but I could see were work or family could limit your hunting times.

Morning!

Late morning!

Midday

Evenings!

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2015, 07:48:00 AM »
If I was forced to pick one, I would say morning.

With that being said, I prefer to hunt when I can, I usually can see deer at any time of day and usually do.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2015, 07:54:00 AM »
I like evening hunting, so, of course, I have killed more during the evening.  I tend to scout for evening spots and appreciate the aspect of knowing that I really need to sit tight until X oclock ( end of shooting time) as the last hour is the best. . .  except, it seems some of the bucks like to get out just a bit earlier than the does and I tend to see them maybe half an hour earlier.

I am not a morning person, so the early hours thing is a downer for me.  I also like to sneak into an area, so daylight, during low activity hours appeals to me.

On those days I do get out early, I sure enjoy the daybreak, the birds, the critters.  I just hate waking up at those unGodly times.
ChuckC

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2015, 10:05:00 PM »
I like to Hunt the mornings . If i don't get a deer then I can Huntt the evenings

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2015, 10:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:

I am not a morning person, so the early hours thing is a downer for me.  I also like to sneak into an area, so daylight, during low activity hours appeals to me.

On those days I do get out early, I sure enjoy the daybreak, the birds, the critters.  I just hate waking up at those unGodly times.
ChuckC
:thumbsup:  

I have worked nights for the better part of 35 years, so getting up early is tough for me.

Evenings suit me better.
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2015, 07:38:00 AM »
afternoons for me, turkey you need to be out by noon cept in the fall which is a new season I think its till sundown but I never see em anyway.
"Us vs Them"

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2015, 09:34:00 AM »
Early season my best hunting is in the evenings along the edge of food plots.  During the rut my best hunting is in the mornings deeper in the woods where the deer are roaming and bedding.  Late season my best hunting is afternoons very close to food sources.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2015, 01:01:00 PM »
Looking at my stats it's 50:50 exactly.  
Certain properties will rule out AM or PM depending on the wind.

I enjoy them both but I prefer daylight tracking
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2015, 01:49:00 PM »
All depends on the location.  I have spots that intercept deer going back to the beds and spots when the deer are moving to feed.  Both are productive.  That being said I find deer moving to beds to be more intent to get back to the cover and less concern with what might be lurking in the trees.  Guess they may be tired from a long night out.
T ZZZZ

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2015, 01:58:00 PM »
I see more game in the mornings, have shot more game in the mornings, but I typically enjoy afternoon  hunting better. Thinking about it, I have let a lot more deer walk past - without even raising my bow- in the afternoons.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »
Mornings for sure - light is working in your favor, temps (when it's cold out) are usually climbing and keep you out there longer, etc. Plus, where I grew up, the only evening movement during shooting light started about five minutes before closing time.
FoCoBlackWidow

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2015, 03:26:00 PM »
When I hunt evenings, I tend to favor broadheads that will give a more immediate blood trails like the large Deadheads and four blade Herters, but in mornings I have more confidence in heads like Hunterheads and my single bevel Hills. I should just always use Grizzlies, they seem to be the best of both worlds anyway. I try to keep those sunset  shots to the close in and definite hit type of shots. It can be tough to pick up the start of a blood trail in switch grass when it is dark.  While in the morning hours, I have more confidence in using more of my available range.  Over the past 50 years, I have blown more sunset shots than early morning shots by a wide margin. Thinking back, I can remember only two morning missed shots and about a dozen sunset or just after misses.  The odd part, all but one of the morning shots were over 20 yards.  While most of the evening shots were under 20 yards. I seem to have had more of the missed deer jump the shot in the evenings as well, could be because they are closer.

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2015, 06:07:00 PM »
Most of the big deer show up late morning for me.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2015, 07:42:00 PM »
I have mostly hunted the mountains of PA.  Without a doubt, most productive has been the mornings.  I sit all day during the rut and late season.  Deer usually make their way up to us at the top around 9.  I have hunted farm country a little bit and seemed to do better in the evenings down there.  Really depends on whether you are hunting beds or food sources.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2015, 09:31:00 PM »
Mornings for bucks, evenings for meat hunts
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©