3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Evenings or Mornings?  (Read 1416 times)

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Evenings or Mornings?
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2015, 11:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by pavan:
The last time I got before sunrise and planned an all day hunt, I took lots of ice tea, food, wet ones, and a pipe with some good english tobacco. About 10 in the morning I took a nap. I sleep real good late in the mornings.  I woke up later, I didn't know where I was or how I got there, but I did recognize the chocolate lab that was sleeping next to me from a neighboring farm place.  He woke up and was happy to see me.  I was starving so I dug out food, cheese curls and corn beef sandwiches, the dang dog barked begging for his share, which he got.  I found that a thirsty lab will drink iced tea and eat apples.  Later the lab ran a pesky deer off for me and came back really proud of himself, so I shared my salted nut roll with him, which made me thirsty and since I was out of iced tea, I went into town for a coke.
Hadn't been back to this thread for a while.  This post is just plain hilarious.  Great way to roll with the moment and enjoy the blessings of the day.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Tony Z

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2015, 05:12:00 PM »
I hunt more evenings because I'm lucky enough to have a few places close to work. I've had more success on evening hunts as a result of that but I enjoy morning hunts more. Go figure. Tony Z

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2015, 05:29:00 PM »
I've had my best luck mid day actually.  The last couple of years, I get to my stand around 9-9:30 and sit til around 2.  I've seen more deer that way than I ever have with early morning or late evening hunts.  It doesn't seem to be as easy to pattern mid day movement as it is with morning or evening movement.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2015, 06:10:00 PM »
I prefer evenings.  I hate waking up early LOL.  I always seem to encounter more critters at sundown.  I also feel like I see better with dusk lighting than dawn lighting but prolly all in my head on that one.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline hunterjrg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2015, 06:24:00 PM »
Without a doubt I kill more bucks in the morning

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2015, 09:29:00 PM »
My best bucks have come in the morning.   I also would rather blood track during daylight hours.
T ZZZZ

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2015, 09:41:00 PM »
It's funny how such a simple question has led to so many answers!

I have more opportunities to hunt evenings, but I enjoy mornings during the rut the most for sure!

My evenings are usually pretty productive.

However, it's always nice to be able to track in the daylight!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline arrowbuster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2015, 09:48:00 PM »
Heres my opinion early season hunts for whitetail, I like the evening the best. I just see more. From Halloween on I would trade 5 evening hunts for one morning. I like it better early once they start getting frisky.
AH ACS CX 60" 53@28
PITTSLEY PREDATOR 60" 56@28
CASCADE BRUSH HAWK 56" 49@28

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2015, 09:58:00 PM »
It seems back in upstate NY where I grew up morning hunts were very successful. I hunt in Georgia now and while mornings can be decent, it seems like animals are quick to quit moving in the mid-morning time. I've had exceptions, and so still do some morning hunts, but down here it seems the evening/dusk time has them all out of their beds and moving. I like finding oak strips along tall overgrown fields and hunt inside the woodline about 100 meters or so. As the sun starts to drop they come out of their beds and lazily pick their way through the nuts before going off and doing whatever nocturnal events they have planned. In the morning they seem to cruise right through to head to bed without browsing too much. I imagine whether nights or mornings are better depend on what area(s) you hunt. All said and done though, with unpredictable work hours, 2 small boys and a wife doing college, I'll hunt whatever, whenever, and wherever I can get it.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2015, 11:12:00 PM »
I think it is about 50/50 for me. I like mornings best though, mostly becaus I love watching the woods wake up!

Bisch

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2015, 09:18:00 AM »
I like the morning hunt. It's a rush watching the woods wake up each day. Also, if I do make a kill, there is no rush to find it, blood trailing is easier and field dressing is as well.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Recurve7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2015, 09:27:00 AM »
Obviously, stand site would determine  morning or evenings. However,  I prefer mornings as recovery is easier in day light.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2015, 10:04:00 AM »
Back in the rifle days, I found it to be about a 50/50 split. However, since I became a bow only hunter, I don't hunt evenings much anymore. I don't want to be faced with a possible tracking situation after dark.
Sam

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »
Growing up, I always hunted in the morning, for anything.  I did that for about 3 years hunting deer after moving to Illinois, but had little success.  The landowner had always told me the best time to hunt deer on his land is in the evening, but like a dummy, I ignored him.  Eventually, I started hunting in the evenings, and I started seeing a lot more deer.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2015, 01:17:00 PM »
I hunt every oppertunity I can. That being said I tend to hunt more evenings because I can usually get my crews lined out for the day and hit the woods by mid afternoon. I prefer the mornings though and I CAN NOT make my self stay in bed on a morning that I could be hunting!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2015, 09:17:00 AM »
My deer sightings and shot opportunities for does and small bucks are about equally split began morning and evening.   My biggest bucks have all been taken in the mid afternoon,  between 1 & 3, during the late November rut.  That said, I hunt every chance I get the time, and hunt as long as I can take the cold.  Every year, my biggest buck sightings during tge rut are early afternoon, between 12-3.  Reflecting back,  I should hunt most of the day during the rut, taking a break between 10:30 and 12:00, which has been the least productive time where I hunt.  The two months leading up to the rut, the first and last hour of light are the best times to hunt.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2015, 11:20:00 PM »
In a tree stand: evenings
On the ground: mornings

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2015, 12:28:00 AM »
My experience is that it depends on where you hunt. Some places are better for one time over another. I have taken more deer in morning because that is what I hunt most. I usually don't hunt evening because I have to go to work at night.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2015, 07:48:00 AM »
10 am seems to be the golden hour for me
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2015, 03:44:00 PM »
50/50 but I would rather shoot one in the morning I hate tracking in the dark.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©