3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question or opinion on deer jumping the string?  (Read 830 times)

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question or opinion on deer jumping the string?
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 10:39:00 AM »
Sound travels at about 1100 fps.  With trad equipment (fast at 200 fps) the sound gets there 5 to 6 times faster than your arrow!!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2015, 11:33:00 AM »
After re reading your thread, realized that I got side tracked and didn't really answer your question.

It's been my experience that most deer during bow season don't jump the string, but I won't shoot at a deer that's on full alert either. Tomorrow is another day. Once gun season opens, and the deer have been shot at and chased around, It's a whole nother ball game.

To answer your other question, I've always liked to pick a spot just a little lower than the middle of a deers chest. I've shot over and under some deer over the years, but a shot there gives me a little leeway both ways. JMHO

Bob

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2015, 12:06:00 PM »
Now, I have never hunted TX stress-wired type of deer.  All midwest here.  I have rarely shot at an alert deer (watch the body language- particularly ears).  I never try to stop them.  I like them slowly walking or rummaging. I have actually waited for them to start slowly walking before I shot. In 25 years I have rarely had a deer jump the string to my naked eye.

NOW- shooting over them??- OUCH!! It is called "zone shooting." That is, not picking a spot and just shooting at the entire shoulder area. My nemesis!!  Missed and high backed a couple monsters in the past 25 years because of this.     :banghead:    :rolleyes:      

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Lady Frost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2015, 07:49:00 PM »
GREAT THREAD!!  Learning so much!
My cup runneth over

Traditional Bowhunters of GA
North GA Traditional Archery Club
South GA Traditional Archery and Primitive Skills Club

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2015, 09:41:00 PM »
In the natural process of springing away from a threat, the deer first hunches down and coils it's muscles to spring away.

That's what we refer to as ducking the string. They aren't actually ducking to to avoid the arrow. They are dropping to get their muscles in the proper position to spring up and away.

With my recur properly silenced, I have not had a deer do that to me yet.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2015, 09:42:00 PM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©