3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stiff or weak?  (Read 406 times)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Stiff or weak?
« on: July 13, 2015, 10:07:00 PM »
I am currently revisiting a bow that has been a royal pain to tune. It is an Osage self bow 42# at 28" draw (I only pull 25") It has an arrow shelf, but it is not cut out at all. Here is what I have been shooting. Arrows are 5/16 shafts, at 20-30# spine. They are 29.25" long from throat of the self nock to the back of the point (100 grain). When I shoot, the arrow flight looks pretty good, no left/right waggle, but they appear to consistently drift to the left. Isn't this an indication of  stiffness? In the target, the nock end appears to be angled to the left, or to put it another way, it looks like the point is striking at an angle to the right, which I thinks indicates weak spine. I have tried arrows as short as 27" with spine up to 50# and all show so stiff, they will not shoot off the bow without literally turning sideways. I am perplexed! I don't think it is merely a question of form as other bows I have don't show these tendencies.
Sam

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stiff or weak?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 11:03:00 PM »
Sam,

What about increasing the point weight-125, 145, 160, etc.???  How heavy are the arrows?  For me really heavy arrows show weak, too light can show stiff???
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 07:46:00 AM »
If you don't shoot that bow much, the arrows impacting left might just be a function of your brain not adjusting the hold correctly. If you shoot instinctively, not lining up the arrow on the target, holding the bow as you would a bow cut more to center actually points the arrow to the left, and that's where it will go.  

On the other hand, if you do have the arrow in your line of sight, your brain should be lining it up on the target, and a left impact would indicate a too stiff spine, unless, of course, it's a false stiff caused by a too soft spine glancing off the bow side plate.  A brace height that's too low can cause the same thing.  I suggest raising the brace height and adding about 10# of spine weight, which should put you right about at the bow weight at your draw length.

Keep in mind, too, that a very light bow and arrow is very sensitive to any errors in form. Good luck.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 08:01:00 AM »
Yes, as Jerry stated.  Also, a slight pluck at release, especially with a light bow and no cut out shelf and the arrow will go left ( if rightie).
ChuckC

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 09:40:00 AM »
O.K. I will play around with brace height and possibly point weight. Unfortunately, my form can be at issue. I sometimes pluck the string. In fact, one of the reasons I want to get this light bow dialed in is so I can work on form with a bow that is very easy to draw and hold. Thanks for the comments.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©