3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Public Land in Arkansas  (Read 366 times)

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
Public Land in Arkansas
« on: July 14, 2015, 10:56:00 AM »
Hello Gang,

I'm looking to hunt in Arkansas this year. Couldn't get in Kansas and I'm looking forward to extending my season to the end of February! Would love some public land info to start on.
I don't expect you to be giving away your best spots but I'm curious where I should start for large areas with low pressure, preferably archery only. I enjoy hiking and scouting as well so walking distance/accessibility will not be an issue for me.
I also have a canoe so areas with water only access would be a plus.
I'm also looking for a hunting partner if anyone is interested, I love hunting with fellow trad folks and would be of help to any Arkansas folks who are interested in hunting in Oklahoma too.
Pm me if you prefer

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Public Land in Arkansas
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »
Hey, Michael. This may not be much help but, my bear huntin' grounds extend across the border to Arkansas. I usually hunt the Oauchita National Forest and it's some beautiful country down there. Might be worth lookin' into for ya.

Gimme a holler when you know when you might be headin' down that way and I'll see if I might be able to join ya!

You might also try gettin' a hold of Kent Roberts from Timberghost bows, as he may know of some more public lands in the northwestern portion of AR.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 10:46:00 PM »
Any idea on a specific area of the state? We have several good places to hunt. Also what time of year? I know you said extended until February. We have a pretty good camp at one of the biggest NWRs in November. Both of you guys are welcome to join us.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 11:09:00 PM »
Tony are you thinking of doing any bear hunting this year? I've been looking at areas in the Oachita area and was thinking I may try it this year. I'm from up north a little ways.

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 04:45:00 PM »
Yes, sir, I surely am! My annual bear huntin' trip has grown very important to me. I'll be staying on the Okie side, but will most definitely be trying again this year. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Offline Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 05:58:00 PM »
That's what I love about this site hunter's helping fellow hunter's!!!!
   :clapper:
58" Bear Super Grizzly  45@28
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw 45@30

Offline Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 08:09:00 PM »
That's what I love about this site hunter's helping fellow hunter's!!!!
   :clapper:
58" Bear Super Grizzly  45@28
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw 45@30

Offline highlandhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
Michael,

You'll want to reach out to Dave Lay.  He's one of the best hunters I've ever met and he is extremely knowledgeable about Arkansas public land.  If you are thinking about the NW portion of the state, I can help you a bit.  Best bet would be to be in Dave's hip pocket.

Scott
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."
-Mike Tyson

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 02:37:00 PM »
Tony I'll be sure to let you know if I head that direction! So who is this legendary Dave Lay? I'll have to give him a shout.
I also had down some calling around and have found that many of the NWR are closed during late season so I'd be looking for something open into late January and February even if it's got more pressure than other areas.
Also, I spoke with Mr. French wildlife biologist with Big Lake NWR and he was very helpful and is a fellow trad guy! I may have to check it out if it doesn't close early due to flooding.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 10:56:00 PM »
I don't have any information, and I don't know my schedule that far in advance, but if you need someone to tag along for a scouting trip, I would be up for it if work allows it.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 11:44:00 PM »
I live about 30 miles from big lake. Most of it is usually flooded for duck season. There is a small bow only WMA pretty close and its open until mid February. I hunt it alot.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©