3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: VPA style 3 blade - How would it do in the Ashby testing?  (Read 4323 times)

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
VPA style 3 blade - How would it do in the Ashby testing?
« on: July 14, 2015, 06:48:00 PM »
The Ashby reports always make interesting reading. Unless I missed it somewhere, the Ashby data doesn't include a solid steel machined 3 blade like VPA and others that have been made in recent years. I don't think they were available at the time. How do you supposed a 3 blade 250 gr VPA would do in those tests?
Anyone have a water buffalo willing to cooperate and test a few dozen impacts from various angles?
Does Dr Ashby still collect data?
Tedd

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: VPA style 3 blade - How would it do in the Ashby testing?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 07:11:00 PM »
I can only say that my guide shot several with the vpa 3 blades, and that is all that he would use.  Now, he wasn't using a stickbow all of the time.  It is nearly impossible to beat the structural integrity of those broadheads, which is an important consideration.  Hard to imagine that a 3 blade configuration wouldn't be at a disadvantage in penetrating heavy bone, though.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 07:24:00 PM »
love me some 250 vpa's    :thumbsup:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 07:55:00 PM »
I believe there is an Australian fellow on here somewhere that uses vpa three blades on such large game.  I can't remember his name but I've seen some videos of his on sharpening them.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 08:01:00 PM »
Tradtusker is his handle.  I did some searching but the posts of his about vpa's on really big game didn't turn up.  I'm sure a pm to him may give you some answers.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Tyler C. Moore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »
His name is Andy Ivy.. You can check out some of his videos on youtube and maybe the VPA website... GREAT HEADS
Tyler C. Moore

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
There's no way I'd use one on a big buffalo with a tradbow. I believe Andy or some other guys have smacked a few successfully using compounds. I do have some of these heavy broadheads and if I remember I will shoot a few into a buffalo carcass and report back.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 08:55:00 PM »
According to Andy...the only complete pass through on a water buffalo he knew of had a VPA 3 blade on the front of it..nope, wasn't a trad bow either.

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 07:43:00 AM »
I think there is no better broadhead design for structural integrity when passing through flesh and small bones. However, Ashby's conclusions that, on heavy animals, hitting large bones is pretty unavoidable, mean that elk size and up I will go to a single-bevel.

I boil down his findings as implying that a 3-blade such as the VPA (the best 3-blade on the market IMO) would kill X out of 100 animals on "good" shots; however, the single bevel would kill every one of those same X animals on the same shots, plus another amount Y. In other words, there is no downside to using the single-bevel on large, heavy game.

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 10:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by PistolPete:
I think there is no better broadhead design for structural integrity when passing through flesh and small bones. However, Ashby's conclusions that, on heavy animals, hitting large bones is pretty unavoidable, mean that elk size and up I will go to a single-bevel.

I boil down his findings as implying that a 3-blade such as the VPA (the best 3-blade on the market IMO) would kill X out of 100 animals on "good" shots; however, the single bevel would kill every one of those same X animals on the same shots, plus another amount Y. In other words, there is no downside to using the single-bevel on large, heavy game.
Well said    :clapper:
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 10:30:00 AM »
The build and strength integrity of all VPA broadheads is unsurpassed. The problem is that all 3 blade broadheads fall short of penetrating large masses of bone compared to 2 blade heads, especially single bevel 2 blades. Like Dr. Ashby said, "Don't design a broadhead for when everything goes right. Design it for when everything goes wrong." I shoot 3 blades when hunting deer and smaller species and 2 blade single bevels on elk and larger game.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »
I'm pretty sure he tested the 300 Extreme and was really surprised that it didn't penetrate better.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »
2 blades don't penetrate bones good either !!

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »
"2 blades don't penetrate bones good either!!"

Very true but relative to 3 blades they penetrate thick bone BETTER. I shot a very large bull elk at 20 yards with a 2 blade broadhead and the tip curled so badly when I hit his scapula that my arrow didn't penetrate and bounced nearly back to me. I have since switched to a thick CNC machined 2 blade single bevel broadhead with a massive tanto tip to hopefully prevent that from happening again. VPA & RMSGear make some heavy duty heads that fill the bill.

Offline Bob Gulliksen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 12:18:00 PM »
RMSG does not make broadheads. VPA makes broadheads for RMSG

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »
"RMSG does not make broadheads. VPA makes broadheads for RMSG"

Of course Bob. But you can't buy Cutthroat broadheads from VPA. That's why I mentioned RMSGear!!!

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 02:34:00 PM »
It would be neat to see what the exact performance differences would be if they would have been tested vs the single bevels two blades.
BTW...I'm only hunting deer, and elk in a yr or two if I get drawn.
My thinking is that with my arrow set-up I'm most likely not going to have a penetration problem on deer so the extra blade is an advantage.
Or I could put both 3 blades VPA and Cut-throats in my quiver this year. Probably swap them on the string every 1/2 hour unable to decide what to use! For a few years I have been using the 175-200 gr VPAs with good success on deer. Blood trails seem good and have been short.
I just ordered and received 3 packs of the small (1 1/8" diameter) 250 gr VPAs. Dang they are expensive. They are screwed on Gold Tip 340s with the stock adapter and come in at about 625 gr. total arrow weight. My BW PCH is 57@31".
Tedd

Offline Bob Gulliksen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 05:30:00 PM »
I just came from RMSG and they now have the 190  grain and 250 grain in stock.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 05:36:00 PM »
You won't have any trouble with elk or deer with that setup with vpa 3 blades.

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 05:54:00 PM »
Here's what the new Cutthroats from RMSGear look like.

[/url] [/IMG]

Here's what a Cutthroat looks like after being shot into 1/8" thick steel. No damage to the head or edge what-so-ever. Gives me confidence next time I hit an elk scapula. VPA heads will do the same.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©