3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer sausage  (Read 427 times)

Offline jbpharmd

• Trad Bowhunter
Deer sausage
« on: July 14, 2015, 10:20:00 PM »
I have always paid for someone else to process my venison, however, after getting bitten by the traditional bowhunting bug I've taken more interest in doing everything myself. I was wondering if anyone had advice on what equipment I would need to start making my own sausage. Also, if you have any recipes that would be great.

Offline warden415

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer sausage
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 11:19:00 PM »
I use a grinder and a. Sausage stuffer but most grinders. Have fittings that you can use them as. A stuffer too. My stuffer holds 30 lbs so it is a bit quicker for me that way.
As far as. Recipe. I use a mixture  of about 50/50 deer meat to pork butt. There are many good mixes. Including LEM , old Legg Plantation and. Others. Personally,  I like the mixes. From Con Yeager Spices. From Zelionople PA
Mix the deer and pork by hand with seasoning and be sure to add some cold water. As per directions. I always cook a few patties as I go to. Get the taste how I want it

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 07:57:00 AM »
I think I'm going to try my hand at some sausage as well
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline jbpharmd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 08:16:00 AM »
It just seems practical. For the cost of getting 1 deer processed I can buy a grinder and stuffer.

I'm excited about experimenting with different sausage recipes.

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 09:29:00 AM »
Check the recipes forum here, there are a few awesome step by step how to's for sausage there. Keep telling myself I'll try it one of these days...
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
For those who haven't done it, processing your own deer takes time, of course, but is not all that difficult.  Actually, you can make it a project, or just get er done, as you see fit.  I literally bone everything out, then sort for roasts ( a few), stew type meat ( some), and grind meat ( more than half).  As you can tell, I use a LOT of ground venison in my meals.

Making sausage is also easy, or complex, as you make it.

Try it once and it will be a part of your hunt.
ChuckC

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 09:40:00 AM »
If space, budget, or time is an issue just grind your venison and mix with Jimmy Dean Pure Pork Sausage (spicy) in equal amounts.  It makes a decent breakfast patty.

My wife does not generally care for venison, but likes this very much.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
Here's the one I was talking about...man I should not have opened this when I was hungry!

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000657
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 11:15:00 AM »
Definitely try the old plantations seasoning as mentioned above.  It's all we use and love it.  Add some red pepper flakes in to create more heat and you're good to go.  

Can't really give much advice on equipment because we have a large family and do our sausage on a large scale with equipment my grandfather and great uncle bought many moons ago.  It is nothing for us to have 250 to 300 lbs in the smoke house at one time.
Caleb Hinton

58" PA-X cocobolo 50lbs @28"
"Luck favors preparation"

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 07:04:00 PM »
The best deal is,to have,a,hunting friend that has all the equiptment.
I have all I need and,offer,my neighbors use of,the,grinder at my place.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline BigErn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 07:16:00 PM »
Another thing is you get your on meat,when you do it yourself!Lot of places mix everyone's meat together,they will make 100lb batches.
    There is nothing to making sausage,been doing
 it all my life.
                                  Ernie
You can lead a human to knowledge, but you can't make him think!

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 08:33:00 PM »
Here's my favorite breakfast sausage recipe.   http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000363

My buddy moved away that did our summer sausage so I have to try his recipe now.  I've never seen old plantation seasoning I may have to find it online.  Isn't that what Bill Langer said he uses?
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 09:50:00 PM »
I've used a lot of LEM spices and have been satisfied with all of them. Mix 50/50 or 60/40 with Pork.

Offline chefrvitale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 12:13:00 AM »
If you get into it, and want to do some cool stuff like smoked summer sausage or a dry cured salami let me know I have taught classes on the subject.
If your just testing the water go to sausagemaker.com and pick up one of the kits they sell. Its a pretty good deal at 25$ and comes with all the supplies needed for the style sausage you choose.

Offline chefrvitale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 12:16:00 AM »
also the proper ratio for a good sausage is 70% lean 30% fat, you local grocery store will most likely sell you fat trim for cheap if they cut meat in-house. If they don't check a few steak houses, if you make friends with the chef he will help you out.

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 02:59:00 AM »
Good tips chef! Another thing that you can do is add chopped onions and green peppers, jalapeños and cheddar, or mushrooms and Swiss. These make excellent variations with the same batch of sausage or brats!

Mmmm... Damn it! I just drooled on myself. lol.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 03:22:00 AM »
If most people who come into my restaurant knew my fennel sausage recipe was worked out with elk meat. The pour tourists might just freak out. To me processing your own game is just another part in the whole process of the hunt. I enjoy the butchering and coming up with recipes tailored to my own needs. Have fun with it! Do some research looking at recipes and Techniques. Adjust spices to your personal liking you won't go wrong. Good luck

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 07:41:00 AM »
There has been great advice here already.

If you plan on doing it every year buy a grinder and a sausage stuffer. its easier and makes the process go quicker. sometimes if you have a  friend that will work with you, they can buy one piece of equipment and you the other.

We have a family gathering every year. My dad 2 brothers and I are usually Grinding, mixing and stuffing (and drinking beer).  Often the ladies are upstairs socializing and vacuum sealing the meat.

We usually have 2 small smokers going at a time so one of us has to go check them every so often.

In the future we will be raising our own pigs for the mix but for now we go to the butcher and ask for trimmings.  Usually we can get them cheap and freeze them until needed.  One year we had a  buy one get one bacon scrap sale and bought 70 lbs of bacon pieces for about 30 bucks.

Its fun, addicting and rewarding all year round. Every time you look in the freezer or eat your sausage, you will smile from satisfaction.

We use mixes as well for the seasonings. Its a lot easier but I have made breakfast sausage from recipes online. Since I didn't have a  stuffer at my house, I made patties out of it.  It turned out good.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 07:54:00 AM »
Another tip is to place the sausage in the freezer (in a large container) for a bit to allow the sausage to begin freezing before vacuum packing them.  Then you can vacuum pack them without the fear of them busting open.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©