3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Son's Love, Thanks Dad  (Read 756 times)

Offline kshunter55

• Trad Bowhunter
A Son's Love, Thanks Dad
« on: July 15, 2015, 02:34:00 PM »
Periodically browsing through the POW WOW posts here on tradgang I see posts of Fathers and relatives who are passing down their love of traditional archery to the youth in their lives.  I’m here today to tell the other side of the story.

I grew up in rural KS and was one of the blessed kids in the world to have an amazing dad.  From the time I can remember, he was always taking me hunting, fishing, and teaching me how to become a man.  It didn’t take long for his love for traditional archery to take hold deep in my soul. Shooting bows and hunting was always our greatest connection, but not our only one.  

We also had many great times throughout my baseball career. One of my favorite memories was when I was with the Tigers and dad came down on the field when we defeated the Yankees to win the ALCS in 2012.  His eyes were as wide as mine watching a big buck come in haha.  50,000 screaming fans was a lot to digest for a small town, blue collar, country boy.  Still, at the end of the day it was simply hunting and bows.  That’s what we lived, breathed, and loved.

In March of 2014 I had to have my first back surgery, years of swinging bats and bucking bails took its toll.  After tons of rehab and hard work my back never recovered enough to play.  It was a tough blow, but that’s life and they let me go home in late September.  My wife and I spent a few days in Detroit with her family then we drove straight though and got back to Kansas Saturday morning October 4th.  

After a few hours of sleep I was up and around excited to hangout with Mom and Dad and start getting my archery gear together.  The whole day Dad and I hung out shooting bows, talking about hunting and life.  We even went out with my sister’s kids and brother in-law to put up a tree stand. I was mainly pointing fingers like a foreman with a bad back should haha.

As it got late Dad and I talked about our deer hunting strategies for the season like we have done a million times.  He dosed off in his chair like always and I went to bed for the night.  I didn’t know it, but it would be our last talk.  I’m tearing up thinking about it.  The next morning Sunday October 5th Dad went to his final home unexpectedly.  After all the chaos of the ambulance and hospital, I was in shock and devastated.  I had lost my best friend, mentor, hunting buddy, and role model.  

It took me a bit to pick up a bow and think about that deer season, but I knew what he would want me to do.  With some encouragement from my brother I strung up his old bighorn recurve.  It was the bow he had shot for most of his life.  I used it last season in his honor and would spend hours in the stand reminiscing on how many amazing times we had.

That last day with dad could not have been anymore perfect and I thank God for giving it to me.  There is something seriously special about bowhunting.  Call it primal, call it connecting with nature, call it whatever you want.  For me it’s indescribable.  Its part of my soul, its who I am, and there is a deep rooted connection with others who feel it.

So this is to all of you who take the time and make the sacrifice to pass on what you love to the youngsters.  It may go unappreciated now, but I am here to tell you for them in advance.  THANK YOU! My wife and I are expecting our first kid in about a month.  Guess what?  It’s a boy!  God works in mysterious ways, and I can’t wait to do all the things with him that my dad did with me.

The buck I shot that season with dad's bow.
"The more you put into something, the more you get out of it"  Rick "Rooster" Dirks

Andy Dirks

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Son's Love, Thanks Dad
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 03:21:00 PM »
Thanks for your story.  Get that boy a bow!

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 03:22:00 PM »
Great story. I'm very sorry for your loss. Sounds like you'll be keeping him alive in your heart.

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 03:38:00 PM »
:campfire:
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline BHall

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 04:05:00 PM »
I'm glad I took the time to read your post.  Sometimes I get in a hurry in life but you reminded me to slow down and take it all in.  Good stuff--thanks.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 04:22:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  

It was my Dad's birthday Monday.  He would have been 89 and has been gone for 9 years now. My sister spent the day reliving a lot of old times we had with him.  By today's standards, people would have said he was too TOUGH on us, but I don't think he ever knew how good of a job he did raising us.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 04:29:00 PM »
Yes, thanks for sharing. Reminded me of my Father who died in 2005. He was still bowhunting from a treestand at 81 years of age.

Thankful for his influence in my life.

:pray:
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 04:39:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Andrew.

A lot of stuff wasn't too good between my Dad and I, but the very best times were when we were hunting and fishing.  I learned a bunch from him, and he gave me my first hunting bow. I still have it  fifty years later, along with his 68" recurve.

The very things he couldn't say to me I saw him make a point of  saying to my kids. That was his example that I do follow.  I make sure every chance I get to tell my kids and grandkids how important they are to me, and make a point of spending time with them whether it is boating, fishing or bowhunting.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 05:12:00 PM »
That was a good read! Thanks for sharing and very sorry for your loss but happy for the memories made.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 05:13:00 PM »
Sorry for your loss, Andy. I'm glad you have the memories of him, sounds like a great Dad as I'm sure you will be.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 05:27:00 PM »
Sounds like your dad mapped out your future as a great dad. Good luck with your upcoming son and may God Bless you and your family.

Offline Lady Frost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 07:31:00 PM »
What a beautiful story.  Thank you for sharing.  Congrats on the baby boy.
My cup runneth over

Traditional Bowhunters of GA
North GA Traditional Archery Club
South GA Traditional Archery and Primitive Skills Club

Offline Gerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 07:36:00 PM »
What a beautiful way to remember your dad, I am sure you will pass that to your son.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline pghrich

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 08:18:00 PM »
Nice very well written story, thank you, rich pyle

Offline KSCATTRAPR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 11:44:00 PM »
Great write up. Your dad was one hell of a guy and bow hunter, and I'm sure he's proud of the man you are today! Can't wait for your little guy to get here, they are a blast!

Offline Big Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 11:55:00 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to write that.  Best of luck with that little boy!  I've got two, and I don't know what I would do without them.

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 04:42:00 AM »
Great story, great buck, and great compassion. You can feel the depth of feeling you have for your dad and bow hunting ooze out of your story.

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 06:19:00 AM »
Thank you for taking the time to share your father's story with us. My Dad wasn't a hunter but encouraged me to enjoy nature in the form of hunting,fishing,trapping. He always listened to my adventures with sparkling eyes. He's been gone since'09 but always walks with me in the woods now. Congrats on the impending little boy. Enjoy as time is fleeting and before you know it they are grown.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 07:20:00 AM »
Beautiful story. Congrats on the upcoming addition to your family.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2015, 09:08:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing your story...makes me wanna call my father...
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©