3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: question about bow length  (Read 1028 times)

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
question about bow length
« on: January 24, 2007, 10:50:00 AM »
What are the advantages/disadvantages of different length bows.  I have only shot a 62" bow.  I think the shorter the bow the less forgiving it is.  Do arrows fly faster from a longer bow?  Which one can be made to be the quietest?  I see advantages in a shorter bow when hunting out of a tree stand being better able to get into a better shooting positon especially while seated.  Is there that much difference between a 60" bow and a 64" bow besides just the length?  I have my eye on an Assenheimer that is 64" but having only shot 62" bows I'm not sure what differences to expect.

Thanks...Barry
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: question about bow length
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 11:38:00 AM »
I always like to shoot the longest bow I can get away with for the situation...
The longer bows of equal poundage will be a tad slower, butt the stability and smoothness is better....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
I love short bows, anything under 58.  I have had more missed opportunities because of a long bow then a short.  As far as shooting a short bow versus a long one on a accuracy stand point.  I don’t see a difference in hunting yardages.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »
Going from 62" to 64" you would see zero differences attributable to a change of length-you are talking about 1" per limb. IMHO anyway.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
I guess the same would be true going from 62" down to 60".  How about going from 62" (the bow I have now) down to a 58" (one of the ones I am looking at getting)?  I don't think I want to go longer than 62" and I don't think I want another 62" bow either.  Heck I just want one of every bow ever made, or maybe just to shoot as many of them as possible.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Elusive One

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »
I have been wondering the same thing since my bow is 52" and everyone elses are alot longer.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
The craze nowadays is for shorter bows, but I like longer bows.  For a 28-inch draw, I think a 64-inch longbow or 60-inch recurve is about optimal.  Chop off two inches of bow length for an inch less draw, add two inches for an inch more draw length, and so on.  I'm aware that there are people with 30-inch draws shooting 58-inch bows.  To each his own.  I've never had any difficulty using a 64-inch bow in a tree and don't believe that bow length has ever cost me a shot opportunity.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »
They say one is more forgiving and the other COULD be faster.....don't know about that.  My longbow is 66" and it never gets in the way, in a tree or on the ground.  Haven't had a problem with it yet.
ChuckC

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »
I use Bob Lee length charts as a reference.  the longer your draw, the longer the bow.  I have a 30" draw and shoot 62" Lee recurves.  I have shot shorter ones and get more finger pinch from them.  Just my opinion.
Dave
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©