3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bad time to be frustrated  (Read 515 times)

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Bad time to be frustrated
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 08:07:00 PM »
I wouldn't worry about switching to a longer bow if that's the route you choose.  You already know how to shoot.  Will take about 5 minutes to retrain your brain to where a different bow shoots.  

I often hunt with a different bow in the afternoon than I hunted with in the morning.  If you know how to shoot and set up your bows about the same, i.e., roughly the same gpp, switching bows isn't a problem. Good luck.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »
My shooting follows a cycle and I know that I am not alone.  I have 3 longbows and shoot them all about the same.  I'll shoot very well for a while, no matter the bow I've chosen to take outside that evening.  Then the effortless good shooting turns to effortless poor shooting.  I then struggle to shoot better and the harder I try the worse I shoot. I only get back to shooting well once I relax, which has proven to be the only way to correctly adjust the sight between my ears.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2015, 11:29:00 PM »
Sometimes I just suck and just have to have the patience until the suck goes away.

Offline Jarrod Reno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2015, 10:59:00 PM »
I've been laughing at myself all weekend.

So I've got a strap on quiver which I've used on my old bow and stuck it on this bow, well, went to take it off this weekend before I went to RMSgear and (not sure how I missed this) but it slid pretty close to the fade outs. So I cocked my head... Looked at it with a questioned expression and slid it back down on the riser nice and tight.

Shooting like a champ ever since. Never made it to RMSGear. It takes about 30 or so shots and it works it's way back towards the limbs though. I never noticed it cause it doesn't get loose enough to rattle or anything. This never happened on my featherhorn so it wasn't something I even thought of.

Anyhow, I'm feeling very grateful right now! Just got to figure out how to keep that thing put.
Family man
Colorado & Montana

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2015, 10:28:00 AM »
Jarrod: Try a trick I use to keep my bow quiver from moving down the limbs. I roll up a couple small pieces of duct tape and stick them to my bow limbs where I want the bow quiver and then mount the bow quiver. It'll keep it from creeping.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2015, 01:08:00 PM »
Glad you got it fixed it one last thought.  Jack your arrow weight up until the chinook is in the 170s too and it might help a touch.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2015, 01:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by smoke1953:
Sometimes I just suck and just have to have the patience until the suck goes away.
Man does this ever happen to me!   :biglaugh:
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Jarrod Reno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2015, 02:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biathlonman:
Glad you got it fixed it one last thought.  Jack your arrow weight up until the chinook is in the 170s too and it might help a touch.
That'd be a tank of an arrow! I think I'd have to reach 800grains. Not sure how to do that with my carbons. I've got about 320gr up front and shooting a carbon rated for 90-110lbs. But building an ultimate heavy weight arrow is something I've thought about doing for fun.

Now that I'm back at 3" 20 yard groups I'm not gonna change anything till after season  ;)  this was a scary situation for me! Hah
Family man
Colorado & Montana

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2015, 01:02:00 AM »
You said you bare shafted your arrows and "they fly great out to 40 yards". Were you watching their flight or bare shafting to check groups against fletched arrows?  A lot of arrows "look" like they're flying great and they might well be doing so but still group badly.  

I normally shoot pretty good but when I start to doubt my shooting ability it almost always turns out to be that my set up is out of tune.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2015, 09:40:00 PM »
I had the same problem when I switched from recurve to longbow. The diagnosis was
1. Over thinking
2. Grip
3. Me
4. Me
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Trond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2015, 06:49:00 AM »
Originally posted by shed hunter:
I had the same problem when I switched from recurve to longbow. The diagnosis was
1. Over thinking
2. Grip
3. Me
4. Me
Amen to that, bro.  :archer:
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Samick Red Fox 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©