3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nearing my first bowhunt  (Read 416 times)

Offline Simba

• Trad Bowhunter
Nearing my first bowhunt
« on: July 17, 2015, 02:25:00 PM »
So, I'm a novice hunter. I just started hunting in 2011 as an adult, self-interested and self-taught by reading, trial-and-error, and the occasional advice from an experienced vet. I grew up in an anti-gun, and, for the most part, anti-hunting family. However, as someone always drawn to the wild, whether in my backyard as a young boy, or the mountain wilderness as a young man, I've yearned to learn how to be part of it, not just a spectator. To join the ecosystem as a forager, predator, and care-taker. I started hunting with rifles as that is the overall norm across the nation. My first hunt was for mule deer on an 1100 acre private property (I wasn't a resident early enough to enter the public land draw) in NM in the foothills of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains with an SKS. I knew VERY little of what I was doing. Since then, I moved to Utah and have hunted public land during the general season with a bolt action .308, learning the hard way: mostly unguided experience.

Over 14 years ago, in boy scout summer camps I always chose to do archery, mostly due to my mother's anti-gun influence, but I loved it. Last summer, before the fall rifle season, I picked up a Traditional Bowhunter Magazine from the newsstand at my grocery store. After reading it, I was drawn back toward that stick and string. So simple, so powerful, so effective, and so versatile (squirrel and elk with the same weapon). The bowhunters who wrote the articles in that magazine seemed to have a relationship with nature much more similar to my own than the writers of rifle hunting articles. They had a peace and silliness that reminded me of my old scoutmasters. They weren't so much about gear as about communing with the ecosystem and having a good time.

Last rifle season was insane. I applied for a unit that I had read was so remote that even the general rifle season saw few and far between hunters in the mountains. That sounded like what I needed. But, when I got up the mountain, there were hunters everywhere the day before the opener. Opening morning, ATVs and 4x4 trucks were cutting paths all over the mountain. From the sky it probably looked like an anthill. The night before, a couple hunters who had stopped by my camp said something like, "Hey maybe we'll push the deer to each other." The only deer I saw that day was a wounded one that crashed through the trees and over the ridge at full speed about 30 yards from my perch. On the far ridge, I'd hear a shot and think, "Oh someone got lucky." Then they'd shoot again and I'd think, "Oh it wasn't down from the first shot." Then they'd shoot 14 more times and I'd think, "Really?". I had spent all year reading and studying natural deer behavior to be an effective hunter that season, but on the mountain there was none. There was too much obnoxious pressure for any deer to behave naturally in that unit. They were only frantic. I only saw deer fleeing.

So, I left the mountain seriously considering buying a bow and obtaining an archery tag the next year. I subscribed to TBM and found myself scouring **** (I'm a grad student with a toddler so the budget is low at this point) for a used bow. I found a Shakespeare M24 40# at 28" for $80 and bought it (I went with 40# because it's the legal minimum here for deer and elk and I'm a beginning shooter. my draw length is a solid 29".  http://shakespearearchery.blogspot.com/…/shakespeare-yukon-…).

Through the internet I learned how to set the brace height (not sure I ever got it right but the bow shoots well and quiet) and what type of arrows I needed. Through Christmas, birthday, and father's day gifts, I bought/received the supplies I need for a backyard range and a set of 3rivers hunters wood arrows, field points, broadheads, glue, quiver, etc. I'm now a month away from the archery deer and elk opener here in northern Utah. I've seen bucks in a spot I've scouted and am more ready than I expected to be. I still need to put the final touches on my accuracy at 20 yards, get my broadheads razor sharp (an ongoing struggle), and bareshaft tune. The only thing I'm really lacking is the luxury of an experienced traditional bowhunter to help me prepare and go with me on my first hunt. Most of the archers I've met are compound (a step I skipped being intimidated by all the cables and pulleys and attracted to the organic simplicity of the trad bow) and they are helpful to a degree. But, that's what this post is ultimately about. Can any of you veteran hunters offer me words of advice for this hunt?

Just reacquainting with the bow after 15 years and reading traditional bowhunting adventures anywhere I can find them, I'm already happy with my choice and I'm sure that even without a kill I'll look back on this upcoming season and be able to say, "Wow, that was one helluva hunt!" But, the goal is to kill cervids because I'm hungry. There is something about this that just feels right to me. If I kill a deer or elk, it will be my first big game kill period. Some people think I'm foolish for starting traditional bowhunting without any kills with a rifle or compound, but those people don't understand. I get that success rates are lowest with traditional archery equipment. But, you can't kill anything with a bow by not doing it. The season I can hunt stretches for almost 4 months (compared to 1 week for the rifle hunt) and the number of hunters with archery tags is always a fraction of what it is for the rifle hunt. Also, because all bowhunters need to get CLOSE to their quarry, I'm only guessing that ATV traffic will be at a minimum and we will all be more conscious of noise discipline. So here I am.

If I was your grandson, nephew, son-in-law, or young friend, just starting out hunting with a tradbow, what would you tell me before my first bowhunt? Thank you in advance.

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nearing my first bowhunt
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 03:12:00 PM »
Good for you Simba!
I can't offer you much advice but I can tell you that you are on the right track. Keep working on it.

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 04:57:00 PM »
Aim small miss small
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 06:12:00 PM »
Seems to me that you have a very good plan.

Sun at your back
wind in your face
move slow
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline kshunter55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 06:37:00 PM »
Stay persistent! There will be times of frustration and anger. :banghead:  haha.  This game is one of work and patience.  Stay slow in the mind and fast in heart.  When you want to quit keep going because you've only just began.  The end reward is greatest for the ones who put the most into it.

Hey if it was easy everyone would do it!  Good luck and enjoy.
"The more you put into something, the more you get out of it"  Rick "Rooster" Dirks

Andy Dirks

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 08:06:00 PM »
Lots Could (And Will) Be Said.  Try To Smell The Roses Along Your Journey. Dont Allow The Desire To Succeed To Hide All Those Wonderful Feelings You Will see.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 08:28:00 PM »
If I were to give you two words of advice would be to enjoy every minute in the field and if possible find others to enjoy it with. Unfortunately I cannot give you much advice on Western hunting but if you can ever make it to Eastern Oklahoma you are invited to hunt Whitetail with me!

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 10:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by kshunter55:
Stay persistent! There will be times of frustration and anger.   :banghead:    haha.  This game is one of work and patience.  Stay slow in the mind and fast in heart.  When you want to quit keep going because you've only just began.  The end reward is greatest for the ones who put the most into it.

Hey if it was easy everyone would do it!  Good luck and enjoy.
I could not of said it better!!!!  Only thing I can add is that as you go thru this journey you will learn that the kill becomes less and less important. That's just one of the many bonus' of this life style. It's the path that fulfills you!  Your answering the call inside of you so your off to a great start!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 11:20:00 PM »
I've heard there's an old native american proverb or something that states "white man walk too much, look too little".  Take your time.  Move slowly. Don't rush the stalk or the shot.  Use the wind to your favor.

Best wishes
homebru

Offline Simba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 01:24:00 AM »
It's very encouraging to hear everyone focus on the bigger picture. I'm good at that. Too good sometimes... I usually have trouble staying focused.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 02:20:00 AM »
Don't pass up does, small bucks ext.  Get some animals under your belt, I cant stress that enough

Offline Sixgun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 08:59:00 AM »
Persistence pays off!

It took me about a decade to get my first big game animal. (That was with a compound.)

I grew up in a somewhat similar situation. My Dad is not hunter. I had to self teach myself everything. The journey was incredible, in hindsight. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

You are on the right track. Good things will come!

Ray
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be . . . time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there.

Fred Bear

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 09:15:00 AM »
The previous posters have summed it up pretty well.

Once you understand the environment around you well and how animals live in it, you will become a better hunter.  Anyone can notice big things like food sources and such but its the nuances that are important, like why does an animal favor one trail or another. Often it's a slight detail like a wind funnel due to  slight elevation difference.

My advice is to hunt and learn, dont just walk around the woods aimlessly looking for animals. walk around and soak in any knowledge you can take.

Some may argue your equipment is too light for elk. It is on the lower end of acceptable but it will work.  Keep working at getting your broadheads sharp and keep your shots close.  If you see an animal and wonder if you can make the shot, dont shoot.  If you see an animal and think, "I got this" , then its time to kill.

Keep practicing, Take broadside and quartering away shots. Do not take straight on/away shots or quartering toward you as the arrow will not penetrate as effectively.

Do not forget to have Fun.

Enjoy, its a journey your after not the trophy. Venison Steaks are Icing, which will come more and more as you become a better Hunter.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 10:20:00 AM »
Yea another observation...take the first chance at a high percentage shot. You'll be fine with your set up and draw length with a good broadhead.

Offline Simba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »
I'm going to shoot any legal animal i have a shot at. I need to weigh my arrows. I'm using zwickey eskimos 125 gr.

The first month (general archery deer season) I can shoot only bucks. For 2.5 months after that I can shoot either sex on specific extended archery season areas.

Offline Simba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2015, 05:05:00 PM »
The unit where I'm hunting elk is also spike and cow only. The extended elk areas are any elk.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2015, 05:23:00 PM »
Simba, I enjoyed reading your bio.
Your heart is,in the right place. Traditional style archery is a journey that is meant to be enjoyed to the fullest.

The advice on watching animals behavior is good advice.
Observe the wind direction and hunt accordingly. The deer and elks best defense is their nose.

You would be welcome in my camp anytime. I wish you luck with finding a good hunting partner.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Simba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2015, 08:45:00 PM »
Thanks for the warm reception, guys. I'm also brand new to tradgang.

My spot is over a meadow on top of a ridge. Ther5e are two funnel points  (saddles) through which it appears deer leave the meadow. Would a brush blind on the saddle(s) make sense or spot and stalk? There is a nice perch above the meadow. This is where I've seen them and bedded under pines along the ridge. Again, these are mulies.

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2015, 08:55:00 PM »
Simba, the journey can be long and hard but soooo much more rewarding when you do it the hard way.... Keep at it and let us know...

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2015, 09:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
Lots Could (And Will) Be Said.  Try To Smell The Roses Along Your Journey. Dont Allow The Desire To Succeed To Hide All Those Wonderful Feelings You Will see.
How true!
Conny

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©