3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mountainman boots  (Read 561 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Mountainman boots
« on: July 17, 2015, 06:10:00 PM »
I've always admired Marian Anderson's print, "Saving powder" A mountainman who has a flintlock muzzleloader but he takes a turkey with a primitive bow, supposedly to save powder.

That print speaks to me, and I want to step right into his boots....except I have never had a pair of boots like that. I've got all of the other paraphernalia, weapons, buckskins, fur hats and frocks, but I didn't have the boots....

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mountainman boots
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 06:13:00 PM »
Until now. I had to wait 12 weeks after I ordered this pair of Dyer 8 eye boot moccasins. Buffalo hide, fleece lined. Them bucks will never hear me comin this fall.     :archer:    

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 06:23:00 PM »
I love Dyer mocs,and those are beautiful.
Leland

Offline kshunter55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 06:24:00 PM »
A guy as tough looking as that probably shot the turkey with longbow and smoked the gun powder in his pipe.  Those are really good looking boots.  Look like a deadly pair for still hunting.
"The more you put into something, the more you get out of it"  Rick "Rooster" Dirks

Andy Dirks

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 06:36:00 PM »
 A guy as tough looking as that probably shot the turkey with longbow and smoked the gun powder in his pipe.  
I use ta smoke a mixture of horse manure and poison Ivy in my pipe.    :bigsmyl:  

Offline kshunter55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 07:07:00 PM »
haha that makes Jeremiah Johnson look like a city slicker.  Skin that one pilgrim and I'll bring ya another.

There was once a rugged man who smoked manure.
Every shot from his longbow seemed to be pure.
He hailed from a Haven known as shrew for sure.
Rattle snake venom was his favorite headache cure and he used to catch fish using his finger for a lure.
"The more you put into something, the more you get out of it"  Rick "Rooster" Dirks

Andy Dirks

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 07:48:00 PM »
Dang Andy, I didn't know you was a poet..   :saywhat:

:goldtooth:

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 05:25:00 PM »
Here's a little better picture of the print

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 05:43:00 PM »
Marian did a mountainman series of prints for the National Wild Turkey Federation. This is the one she did of me in 1994, titled The Longhunter. I had all the paraphernalia, birch bark canoe, elkskin frock, leggings, breech clout, osage bow and otter quiver.

This is what she wrote in the cutout of my personal print

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 06:10:00 PM »
Great stuff! Enjoy the new boots.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 10:05:00 PM »
Ron what will you treat those with?
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 09:15:00 AM »
Dyer has their own leather conditioner that they send with their moccasins

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 11:03:00 PM »
Those are awesome boots! Look out bucks!

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 12:13:00 AM »
Look out Bucks?

Goodby bucks..    :banghead:  

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 10:52:00 AM »
I have had some Dyers for many years (not the fancy high tops though) and they are great mocs, but they are a bit spendy. You get what you pay for, I suppose.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline David M. Mathis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 11:09:00 AM »
I always tried to get me one of those prints at the NWTF banquets but the bidding got too high for my little pay check. I do have a Shrew though.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
[QB] Until now. I had to wait 12 weeks after I ordered this pair of Dyer 8 eye boot moccasins. Buffalo hide, fleece lined. Them bucks will never hear me comin this fall.      :readit:    :help:
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 04:38:00 PM »
I'm thinkin them buffalo boots will go good with my buffalo coat

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2015, 05:19:00 PM »
Nice Ron but you better  where a orange hat. Some people are looking to harvest a  Bigfoot.   ,!!    Lol.
Dan Breen

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2015, 09:43:00 AM »
Ron..
    Nice Boots, But be careful, They will be slippery, especially on Pine needles and such....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©