3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Solo Traditionalist Hunter  (Read 928 times)

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
The Solo Traditionalist Hunter
« on: July 18, 2015, 08:50:00 AM »
I was mentioning on another thread that I have a solo adventure/hunt coming up soon. That got me thinking about the general topic of guys going it alone on multi-day or week+ hunts in remote areas. I know a lot of guys will never have the opportunity to do it. Some have no interest in doing it. I guess maybe you've gotta be a little bit crazy or maybe something drives you to challenge your abilities beyond simply hunting where you live.

I have always thought the epitome of big game hunting involved being in big country...alone...and hunting with a simple bow. Nothing between a man and his success, except determination and some luck. I always envision the true wilderness and walking where few or no humans ever venture. That kind of hunt is a true adventure, and the presence or lack of a dead animal doesn't diminish the value of it.

Anyone doing a serious solo hunt this year, or contemplating it? What stops you from going, or what is making you do it? Will you ever go and challenge yourself?

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Solo Traditionalist Hunter
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 09:03:00 AM »
Funny you should post this, Kevin, as I was just trying to find some powdered citric acid (some of your advice from our last discussion.)  I'm still working through the prep list.  Probably call you this week to rehash some thoughts and celebrate the dream that will be reality in less than a month for me.
JT

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 09:32:00 AM »
I did a 17 day solo, wilderness elk hunt in 2013. I did come out for 2 days in the middle of the hunt, drove to a motel and then hauled new supplies in the next day.

Only time I've ever gotten "homesick". By the end of the hunt, I was ready to pack it out.

I enjoyed the hunt immensely although I did not take an elk on that trip. I did pass on a 15 yard shot at an average 5X5 because of a pine branch that was in the way.

That type of hunt is NOT for everybody. I plan to do it again next year... Lord willing and the health is adequate.

It is definitely a challenge!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 09:42:00 AM »
Great topic! I have done several solo elk hunts and enjoy the challenge of planning, the solitude and the idea that it is just me there. Something magical about being alone, the sounds are amazing, and for me, the appreciation of my family when I return is one of the special things about a hunt like this. While there I am a primal animal doing what our ancestors did: food, water, shelter, hunt. When home I reflect on that special time with the warmth of my family and secretly start planning my next adventure. I wait to just the right time to spring it on my wife as if it is new, knowing it has been rolling around in my brain for a long time  :)  

Kevin and Julian, good luck on your adventures! I am doing a mountain goat hunt in BC but will have a spare human to show me the country. I hope he doesn't mind me taking some time alone, if for anything to feel some of the solitude in small doses that you fellas will have.
Mike Davenport

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 10:24:00 AM »
I like the idea of a  solo Hunt.

I know I am not ready in this point in my life for one,  I wouldn't do well on an extend long trip in the mountains.

With that said, I wouldn't mind 2 or 3 days at a deer camp alone.

Good luck on your upcoming adventure.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 12:30:00 PM »
This is my favorite way to hunt. Don't do it as much as I used. I sure feel the need to come Spring though. Between a few more rings on the tree, some health issues, family obligations, and my wife not liking that much I have held off....let's see if I can come up with some more reasons...
I have mostly "bushwacked" into wilderness areas in my home state. Love the feeling of waking to a new day and following the day as it unfolds, no clocks, the only trails are game trails if any. After a few days seems like my internal clock starts slowing down and getting in tune with earth. Just love it...like you say Kevin, "lack of a dead animal doesn't diminish the value of it." Thanks for bringing this to mind.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 01:27:00 PM »
Kevin, this is the only way that I really enjoy hunting. Can't imagine hunting elk any other way. Something about being alone refreshes your spirit and puts you in touch with your surroundings.
Spent two months hunting goats last year over 6 hunting trips. Would come home for two days and then back out.
Enjoy your trip, I know you have extensive hunting experience but you will probably experience a major transformation in how you view your self and nature.  
Good Hunting, Mike

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 01:33:00 PM »
Never have been big game hunting solo but I like solo packing and bringing a bow for small game for extra food. I enjoy the solitude for a few days.

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 04:22:00 PM »
Great post Kevin. I have hunted solo and it's good. I have hunted with good friends too and that's good. I like them both. I like the trip that you're doing this year and I may have to do something like that one of these years. I would probably go back up the Haul road because I have so many memories from there. Although I am open to other places for sure. I find that I do like sharing stories when back in camp with other bowhunters, but then again, time alone out there is special.  May the ravens keep an eye on you my friend... Looking forward to stories later.  :archer:
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 04:38:00 PM »
I've been wanting to do this for a long time! I hunt alone a lot but never for more than a day. With my wife and 3 kids I tend to do just that ( a lot of day hunts), but I've definately had this in the back of my mind for a while now! Maybe this will be the year!  Thx for bringing this back to mind!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 04:55:00 PM »
I love hunting by myself but it is nice to have a friend back at camp in the evening to tell lies to about the days hunt. ps and know you are missing if you don't show up.  Widow

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 05:08:00 PM »
Once I am settle in north Idaho I plan to start solo/overnight hunting.
 I ve been spoiled all the these years in new york, walk out the backdoor, hunt and come back home.
 I've been watching clay Hayes videos and doing my research on back country survival.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 06:05:00 PM »
I don't have any choice, nobody will go with me   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 06:40:00 PM »
It's on my bucket list for sure. I know I need to learn a lot more about survival out in the wilderness before I would attempt going into the rockies alone. But I one day I hope to do that.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline EWill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »
I would love to do a solo hunt over a period of time but my wife would hate it.
The Clay Hayes videos make me want to do it even more. Maybe someday.
"It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy." Romans 9:16 (NIV)

I don't like to be high, low, left, or right.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2015, 08:23:00 PM »
Mike...I appreciate your thoughts, and I hope the BC mountains smile on you this year. Nothing like those crags and peaks to make a guy feel humble.

Dave...We haven't hunted together but the things you say and write tell me we see wilderness through the same eyes. Good luck on your adventures!

Todd...If I ever met someone who looked like he appreciated solitude and hunting the hard way, it is you. The quiet guy staring into the campfire from so many years back. The raven is always watching.

I just talked with my pilot-friend today. The fires have lessened in the region I'm headed to, and some rains have fallen. He tells me he plans to put me in an area well above treeline and that caribou are there now. I'm truly excited just thinking about being up there alone and doing what comes natural to me. The next few weeks will pass rapidly. I spent much of this day prepping and weighing gear for the trip. I'll be shaving ounces and making hard decisions, but that's all part of going in far and traveling light.

Julian: I admire you. I am really excited for you to make a run into the northern mountains and have a solo go at it. Not many guys will undertake that ever, and I truly hope you have the adventure of a lifetime there. Take lots of pictures and I'd like one for my collection!

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2015, 08:57:00 PM »
Not sure if the opportunity will ever be there for me but I would love it. I like being in the woods alone anyway as no one but me calls the shots and it seems more relaxing. Once again, great post.Nice pics as well

Offline Jarrod Reno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2015, 09:21:00 PM »
This will be my second year solo with trad gear. I love it. On one hand I love hunting with another guy or as a group but I prefer going alone. I spend a good 10-12 days alone and usually take one trip with friends or family that sounds 3-4 days.

When I'm by myself I get in the zone and stay in the zone. Not having to worry about anyone else, being able to go with your gut 100% of the time. Not having to worry about filling any one else's tags. I feel 100% connected to the moments.

Wow, that makes me sounds like a selfish bastard  ;)  

Sometimes it gets a little lonely if the weather turns bad and when the nights are long.
Family man
Colorado & Montana

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2015, 09:48:00 PM »
It has been a very long time since I spent time alone in the wilderness (38 years). I spent two months conducting timber inventory fresh out of school in the San Juans and then up north around Buffalo Park (Colorado). All my work was from aerial photographs, compass and flagging tape. Saw gobs of elk. Spent a lot of time at timberline.

I went two weeks during one span without seeing another human. In fact, Elvis died during that stint.

I ended that temporary job with a mule deer bow hunt.  I wish I could have afforded an elk tag (NR $145) because I had a cow and fork horn bull 15 yards the first day hunting. I was 23.

Solo for an extended time wouldn't be for me these days. Frankly, I just wouldn't have the confidence that my mind wouldn't conjure up some horrible fate.

I admire those who do it though.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2015, 10:53:00 PM »
Definitely want to give it a shot before the years sneak up on me. Going to take a lot of convincing with the wife.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©