3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What to do in South Carolina?  (Read 626 times)

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
What to do in South Carolina?
« on: July 19, 2015, 01:14:00 PM »
I couldn't find an off topic forum...

So, I'll be headed to Conway, SC at the end off the month. I'm mostly just tagging along with my wife and her family since this is their trip.

But, if I happen to get a day to do something I want to do, is there anything I should see/visit/participate in while I'm there?

Anything to do with archery, knives/axes, guns, fishing, outdoors in general, food.
Speaking of which, what's the best BBQ joint in the area?

Any good trout fishing near there?

Oh, let's not forget alcohol! Any good craft beers in the area? Good place for whiskey/scotch?

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What to do in South Carolina?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 02:05:00 PM »
So Conway is a pretty cool little town with very little to do. It will however give you a good representation of small town south, but in my opinion it entirely too close to Myrtle Beach...

Myrtle beach is the Venice Beach or Jersey Shore of the south and an awful representation of my wonderful State. You will most likely see more Ohio tags that South Carolina... (No offence to those from Ohio..)

You can however make your way about an hour south to Georgetown, which is a really cool historical town with great  waterfront eats drinks and shops.
Try the Big Tuna as its a good spot to have a few.

Pawleys Island is in between Myrtle and Georgetown and is also a wonderful place with great food and southern hospitality. I have grown up going there during the summer for vacation.

Charleston and my home town of Columbia are going to be your larger cities and where you will find more to do and awesome local brews, but are honestly a little drive from Conway.

Let me know if you make it this way and I would be happy to show you around.

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 04:50:00 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the info.

Haha, I know what you mean, the in-laws are from Ohio. I lived there for six years, and it seemed like if anyone went on vacation out of state, they went to Myrtle beach, haha. Frigging Ohio-ens.   :)  a lot of the Amish kids go down there too.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not sure if we'll be venturing much further than Conway and Myrtle, but maybe I can convince them to shoot down to Pawleys. We'll have our two kids under 2, with us, plus my brother-in-law's toddler, so it'll be interesting to see how much we actually get to get around between all the naps and feedings.

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 06:34:00 PM »
Yeah, look out for Buckeyes in the road....they're more dangerous than Texans on ice..:  :campfire:   :
Just kidding

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline IndaTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 11:15:00 PM »
LOL! Come November it seems Ohio is flooded with Southern tags!

Hey, I grew up in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina. Went to college in Alabama, lived on St. Simons Island, GA while working at FLETC and then moved to Ohio. My Pops always said women would make us do crazy things, boy was he right!!

Not sure how far Conway is from Beaufort but I could make some calls to some friends for fishing or my brother-in-law will probably be at his deer camp trying to thin some hogs.

Offline AnAvidArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 11:22:00 PM »
The National Wild Turkey Federation museum is in Edgefield, Sc. On the opposite side of the state though...

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 12:01:00 AM »
Born and raised here in Charleston....and other than 20 years in military or more...came back to stay.

Lots of good Craft Beers but most of the breweries are in Charleston or upstate...we are about 2 hours south of Pawleys Island.

Pawleys Island has some good seafood....  Brook Green Gardens in Murrels Inlet is worth a visit and rich in local history.

We have a couple distillerys (Firefly Vodka, Striped Pig Distillery, etc) plus a dozen Craft Breweries such as Holy City, Coast, Palmetto, Southend, Tradesman, Revelry, Freehouse, Westbrook, and Frothy Beard...sure missing a couple.

Bass Pro in North Myrtle.... NASCAR track adventures, Medieval Times, etc.

There is good hog hunting in the Pee Dee area if you can find someone to take you as mostly private land.

If you come to Charleston for a day trip it will open up a bunch of other possibilities....but if pent on staying there in that area...enjoy the beach and seafood.  If not familiar though...get a day charter to go inshore fishing for redfish, spotted trout and flounder...the inshore trifecta!  Great eating too.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 08:24:00 AM »
Its a bit of a drive, but if you get a full day and want to have a blast check out outcast sport fishing charter out of Hilton Head.  Chip is a full-on big shark expert. Big tigers on a standup rod within view of the beach.  If the tourists knew what was out there they'd stay out of the water! I never thought I'd have any serious outdoor interest other than traditional archery/bowhunting, but this shark thing is cool (and dosent interfere with deer season  :)  ).

R

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
Too bad you don't play golf as there are a gazillion courses in Myrtle Beach.

If you go down 95 stop at Maurice's BBQ in Santee. Good mustard based sauce.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline David M. Mathis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 11:15:00 AM »
I use to do girl watching at the beach but that was back in the 60's and 70's. Deer season opens Aug. 15 but it is hot.

Offline bluemelonchitlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 01:17:00 PM »
Myrtle Beach is extremely overrated. The Atlantic ocean is dirty and not really a nice ocean. And yes too many goof courses (not a typo,I personally detest golf).
Either find the time to drive South a little ways or drive North into Little River. Lots of good seafood there.
Nothing much worse than people from Ohio (and no joke intended,I've worked with too many donkeys from Ohio that would make me not set foot in that state).
Revelation 3:20

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 02:45:00 PM »
Haha, no love lost for Ohio in this thread!

Where's all the Buckeyes to defend themselves?

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 03:33:00 PM »
hahaha oh lord what did I start!

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 08:51:00 PM »
I do not like Myrtle beach, you could not drag me there. I just do not like crowds but the only city I ever visited and like to go back is Charleston. Got to do the carriage tours of the historic battery, the harbor tour, and plenty of excellent restaurants. The Hunley museum is interesting and the Yorktown is there. If your into History, you will have a good time in Charleston.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 05:34:00 AM »
I assume with your young ones you're not going to get away for a long time. Get a half day charter for Spot tails back in the estuaries...beautiful, peaceful, and great fun especially with a fly rod.  Getting on good hog hunting property especially for a day is going to be tough...tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 01:35:00 PM »
I'm with Ryan and Tippit.  Jump on a boat man!  There lots of good guides up and down our coast.

Reds in the creeks or spade fish on some near shore wreck would be my choice.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 02:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by bluemelonchitlin:
Myrtle Beach is extremely overrated. The Atlantic ocean is dirty and not really a nice ocean. And yes too many goof courses (not a typo,I personally detest golf).
Either find the time to drive South a little ways or drive North into Little River. Lots of good seafood there.
Nothing much worse than people from Ohio (and no joke intended,I've worked with too many donkeys from Ohio that would make me not set foot in that state).
How about Ohioans who golf?
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 05:13:00 PM »
I lived in Charleston for a while and as you know there is a lot of US history there surrounding both the civil and revolutionary war as well as slavery and huge plantations. All of that is there to see including beautiful homes some built in the 1600's. Some of the best resturants on the east coast can be found in Charleston. By the way the waters around Charleston appear to be dirty because of the dark soft mud found in what is called the low country but I can assure you the Atlantic ocean is not a dirty ocean at least no dirtier than any other ocean. There are a few plantations that offer quail hunting and plenty of fishing and hunting opportunities.
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Offline bluemelonchitlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2015, 07:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by reddogge:

Originally posted by bluemelonchitlin:
How about Ohioans who golf? [/b]
Double bad
Revelation 3:20

Offline elk nailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2015, 08:16:00 PM »
go to Columbia and visit Jeffery archery.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©