3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Finger tab?  (Read 805 times)

Offline Doublegun

• Trad Bowhunter
Finger tab?
« on: July 20, 2015, 02:15:00 PM »
Shooting a 43-lb recurve and moving from a glove to a tab.  Couple of questions:

1.) what makes one tab design better than another; and,

2.) who makes a really good tab for hunting?

Thanks,

JDG

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finger tab?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 02:35:00 PM »
Some guys will chime in with some good ones, but this is unfortunately one of those "try different ones until you find the right one for you" kinda thing.

I can't shoot a leather tab, only calf hair. Leather just doesn't shoot well at all for me. Fortunately they're cheaper than bows to buy and try    :rolleyes:
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 02:38:00 PM »
To add on to that, I like a tab with a finger spacer on the back side (if shooting split). Preferably a rubber one. You can pretty much trim any tab to size if it's too big. Having the option to add/remove layers is also nice, but aside from that designs don't vary a whole lot.

In my experience price does not equal better. I shoot a $9 calf hair tab from 3 Rivers and it shoots perfect, and I use it for 3D and hunting. Find what works best for you, buy a few extras, and use it every time you shoot whether it's 3D or hunting.
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 02:43:00 PM »
Check out Bateman Cordovan tabs.

Offline Doublegun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 02:43:00 PM »
I have a Eichler Cordovan and just received a Safari Tuff (with the hard spacer) from 3-Rivers.  What I like so far about the ST is the heavy leather part on the base of my fingers - pretty much makes my form work.  That hard plastic spacer is going to take a little getting used to though.

Still learning - hence the questions.  As always, thanks for your patience.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 02:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by ISP 5353:
Check out Bateman Cordovan tabs.
Yes..do that.

I prefer the cordovan with finger spacer and the leather loop.
I can't stand the elastic band around my finger..lol
With the leather loop you can flip the tab around with a flick of the wrist to get it out of the way...and another flip to get it back in position.

to each their own and all...but I really like this one.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 03:13:00 PM »
I have been shooting with tabs since the 1980's, and I tend to agree with shreffler when he says price does not always mean better. There is nothing special about one tab over any other tab, except for the way it feels to the individual shooter. I generally shoot a calf hair style, because that is mostly what I find for sale at a reasonable price. Fortunately, tabs are cheap enough that you can try a variety of them until that special one is found.
Sam

Offline Doublegun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 03:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sam McMichael:
I have been shooting with tabs since the 1980's, and I tend to agree with shreffler when he says price does not always mean better. There is nothing special about one tab over any other tab, except for the way it feels to the individual shooter. I generally shoot a calf hair style, because that is mostly what I find for sale at a reasonable price. Fortunately, tabs are cheap enough that you can try a variety of them until that special one is found.
This is my plan.  That's why I ask "what" makes a good tab, good.

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 03:53:00 PM »
Bateman has many styles to choose from,and their quality is very hard to beat.  I disagree about price, I've gone through many cheap tabs but after many years still shooting my Bateman with really no sign of wear
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 03:56:00 PM »
I like a simple Saunders Fab Tab(plastic) with no spacer or removable layers. Lasts until you lose it! Easily trimmed and can spin around and be out of the way until needed.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 03:59:00 PM »
I switched from shooting split to 3-under and had trouble with my Bateman tab tearing up my cheek, lips or nose. I didn't have this problem with a glove. Then I trimmed the tab back to just the minimum length that would cover the crease in my finger joint. Problems disappeared. The Cordovan is super slick and I get a great release. If you try a tab, don't give up on it if you are getting slapped. Just trim it back.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline old bucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 04:00:00 PM »
X2 on the Saunders Pak-Tab.

Sam

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 05:10:00 PM »
Toelke tab.   Dan sells a kit  that you can add layers. The top layer is sheep skin  . I've shot gloves a long time but after shooting dans tab. I'm  sticking with it.  If you can find a land rich tab grab one its sheep skin also. They where nice !
Dan Breen

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 09:36:00 PM »
I shot for a while with a glove and 2 years ago went to a tab. I shoot 3 under and cut my tab from a piece of scrap from Hobby Lobby. It's about 1/6" thick and very comfortable. The Idea of calf hair sounds good does anyone know a source for it that tabs could be cut from?

Online Benoli

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 10:42:00 PM »
My favorite is has a calf hair face with a soft finger spacer made by Neet. They are getting hard to find. I think 3 Rivers haS them. They very durable and run about $8. I don' like the ones with the hard plastic spacer.
One stick, one string and an arrow I'll fling!

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 05:43:00 AM »
If you just want to try one start with one of your own from some scrap leather.  Shooting 43#, you might get away with a single layer.  I've made my own since the 80's...tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 09:13:00 PM »
Best tab currently available is Fivics cordovan tab with spacer and leather palm plate for about $27.  Its palm plate is very similar to the old Wilson Tab when they made cordovan tabs.  The tab has two layers of leather and is super comfortable.  I could not find my old cordovan Wilson Tab a few years ago so the Fivics tab became its replacement. Fivics also makes more expensive tabs with aluminum palm plates but I would I have not tried them as I like a leather palm plate better.

I use an old Bear powder patch and keep the tab powdered with baby powder and it is really slick and feels good in my hand. Provides the opportunity for some super smooth releases.

Offline Gatorkountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 05:58:00 AM »
I prefer the cordovan with finger spacer and the leather loop.
Where did you get the leather loop? I can't stand that elastic stuff.
Jeff Martin

Offline kshunter55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 10:11:00 AM »
I use the cordovan bateman with the elastic strap and finger spacer.  It's tough as nails.  Takes a few shots to break her in though.
"The more you put into something, the more you get out of it"  Rick "Rooster" Dirks

Andy Dirks

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 10:19:00 AM »
What makes a tab good for me does not necessarily make it good for you...the bottom line is how confidently you shoot with it...I shoot 2 fingers under, 2 finger split and 3 finger split with tabs depending on which bow I am shooting and whether I am hunting or target shooting...as you may guess I have quite a collection of tabs and they all have their place

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©