3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk hunting with Snuffer 160gr. ??  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk hunting with Snuffer 160gr. ??
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2015, 11:22:00 AM »
Thanks guys, you definitely boosted my confidence in them for elk. Ryan, tell your dad that he invented the best traditional broadhead known to mankind! I should probably order a lifetime supply.
Any others?

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2015, 11:44:00 AM »
Michael,

5 weeks my man and hopefully I will get to see first hand how well your arrow kills an elk!

Gabe

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2015, 04:29:00 PM »
Chris Cox of Habu uses snuffers for everything I believe...he's killed a good amount of big game animals including Elk and Moose.

Personally I'm a two blade guy, but it has been proven a Snuffer will do the trick!

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
I have taken two elk with 160's.  52 lbs 28"

Offline Bob Gulliksen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2015, 08:40:00 PM »
I hunt elk with them and so does my son.
David you need to meet more people than the ones that go to RMSG.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2015, 10:56:00 PM »
Always hope for more post from people that have actually shot elk with the broadhead in question, then listing the times that they were successful, when they weren't, and potential reasons why.  The rest is really just conjecture.  Of course, one of the problems with that is that people are much more up front about their success rather than their failures.  In no way do I mean to suggest that Snuffers won't get the job done.  I personally have no experience with shooting elk with snuffers.

Offline Bob Gulliksen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2015, 10:55:00 AM »
"They all work and they all don't work."  Guys should work more on their shooting and quit trying to find a broadhead that is cure all for every thing that could happen. A bad hit is a bad hit no matter what BH you are using. Use what you have confidence in and don't worry about what everybody else is using. Up until about five years ago I and a lot of other guys were having a good time hunting and killing things and then we found out per the internet that we were doing everything wrong.(Wrong string, wrong bow, wrong arrow, wrong brace height, wrong quiver, wrong rest etc. and WRONG BROADHEAD)

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2015, 01:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bob Gulliksen:
"They all work and they all don't work."  Guys should work more on their shooting and quit trying to find a broadhead that is cure all for every thing that could happen. A bad hit is a bad hit no matter what BH you are using. Use what you have confidence in and don't worry about what everybody else is using. Up until about five years ago I and a lot of other guys were having a good time hunting and killing things and then we found out per the internet that we were doing everything wrong.(Wrong string, wrong bow, wrong arrow, wrong brace height, wrong quiver, wrong rest etc. and WRONG BROADHEAD)
You are right on, there, Bob.  Lots of folks should read your post there, twice.

And Pat, to reply to your question - over the years I have lost exactly 1 animal with a Snuffer wherein increased penetration (what all the "experts" say Snuffers lack)- might have made the difference - that was an antelope buck I shot in the upper leg/shoulder joint with minimal penetration.  My buddy in Montana hit an antelope similarly with a grizzly 190 the year before and didn't get his goat either, but a broadhead with a curl on the end like an elf shoe and minimal penetration.  Of course that is a "one off" - well both cases are - and maybe the exception would prove the rule.

I've hit several whitetails high over the years - non-fatally above the spine through the "fins" of the backbone - probably 4 or 5 - penetration was not the issue, but hitting in a non-vital place was the issue.  I have lost 1 animal that was gut shot with a Snuffer, small buck in Ohio, found him next spring.

The bigger game (elk sized and up) I mentioned in the first post are the sum-total of my experience with large game and Snuffers.  That said, I'm not afraid to post an opinion about my several larger game shot with these heads (as well as the Old Man's), they don't number in the hundreds, but lots of guys like to post thier experience and expertise that have never even been there or done that.

I admit my mistakes, but also figure that over 30 years of serious bowhunting I'm not doing too bad.

R

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »
Your good to go!  You're hunting elk not cape buffalo, there are a bunch of guys shooting snuffers with way less then what your pushing.  Theres also guys piling up the elk with light arrows in the 425 (ish) grain total weight.

I don't get how some of these threads turn out, why does someone always comment "you just hear about the good never the bad".  Like guys hunting their butts off every year in the mountains for weeks on end, carrying gear they "hope" will kill an elk???

The biggest thing for shooting elk, stay away from the shoulder area!

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2015, 05:29:00 PM »
No need to get offended.  I don't normally use snuffers, but haven't lost anything that I have shot with them.  I like Ryan's posts the best, because he has actual experience with them in the scenario in question.  People posting that haven't shot Elk or tougher game are just guessing whether they are adequate or not.  I wouldn't tell someone they need more or less without the experience to justify it.  For example, your post says that he is good to go because others use them.  That doesn't give any real information to make a decision, does it? I know that you have killed elk with lighter weight bows using 2 blades, but if you have experiencce shooting elk with snuffers, it might be more helpful.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2015, 05:35:00 PM »

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2015, 06:27:00 PM »
Ok guys now simmer down lol it looks like no bad experiences so far with snuffers on elk...that's all I wanted to know. Thanks everyone for your responses! Any more insite would be appreciated.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2015, 06:34:00 PM »
Sorry Michael.  I hope you have gotten, or will get, the info you need.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2015, 06:35:00 PM »
No problem I think everyone was implying things with the wrong tone

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2015, 06:38:00 PM »
Razorcaps, pretty similar head, 65 ish saluki if I remember right. Complete pass through.

77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »
Not offended at all, I've only shot one elk with them.  I stopped shooting them when the price jumped.  My comment was more with the point of elk aren't super animals,  they are just big deer.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2015, 07:48:00 PM »
Best thing about a big snuffer is, it will put the most blood on the ground no matter what w/ equal penetration and shot placement, when compared to 2 blades. I know because I've spent enough time on my hands and knees w/ 2 blade shot elk but then again. The shortest blood trail was w/ a 2 blade! It's all about shot placement.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2015, 12:25:00 AM »
I am glad that you are not offended, Adam.  I know that you are a successful hunter.  I was really just trying to encourage others that have actually shot elk with a snuffer to post, but it came off wrong.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2015, 12:35:00 AM »
No worries bud, that said this post kinda makes me want to switch back!  Overbo said it best, man do they put a hole in critters!

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2015, 12:57:00 AM »
I hope that both you and Michael stick a nice one with a snuffer, and post a nice write-up on it.  If I didn't already have my VPA's ready to go, I might try them myself.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©