3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best grip material  (Read 477 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Best grip material
« on: July 20, 2015, 11:26:00 PM »
I am wanting to put a grip on a bow and would like to know what you guys would suggest for one. I would prefer it to be one that's ready to put on(rubber sure grip, etc).  I just need it to not be slick when wet.

I know I could send it off to big jim, but really don't want to invest the $$ for that at this time.  

Any help is appreciated.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best grip material
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 11:34:00 PM »
I have a sure grip and I like it. I also really like a tennis overgrip, the ones made by Gamma in particular. They are really tacky and easy to put on.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 12:27:00 AM »
I am going to check pure tennis wrap thing.

Is the sure grip slick when wet?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 12:59:00 AM »
I like the sure grip and they do grip well when wet, or you can take a bicycle inner tube and basically have sure grips for all your bows. The inner tubes aren't quite as thick as the sure grips though, but they do work and they grip.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 01:15:00 AM »
The sure grip is not slick when wet. I have had one on my Wallace Royal for six years now. I put it on originally to protect the leather grip. It does turn your hand black when your hand sweats from the heat here in AZ. What I really like is my hand does not turn while shooting.

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 08:02:00 AM »
I have the sure grip on my widow psav and love it.   I don't think it fits all recurves though.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 08:39:00 AM »
I have a beaver tail grip on two bows a really like them. You can order one and put it on yourself, it's not all that hard and they come with instructions.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 09:09:00 AM »
Beaver tail x2.
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 10:18:00 AM »
I have considered beaver tail, but a$30 a pop I figured I would try something else first. It would be a big loss to spend $30 and get a beaver tail theness it up when I could send  big Jim the bow and get one out on for $55.
(Just thinking loud)

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 10:20:00 AM »
I like the Shur-grip,  but they are usually for thinner longbows,  it might be a pretty big struggle getting it stretched over a recurve riser.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »
I've had a half-dozen ShurGrips on bows and for your stated purpose they may be the best choice.  They are actually much thinner than most inner tube, they look/feel better in the hand, stretch better and are much easier to put on a bow unless your particular bow has a very narrow riser.  I've mounted them on Widow MA recurves (fairly large risers) and similar bows by rolling them up the limbs into a 'donut' shape and using a piece of cord to help stretch the rubber over the high spots on the riser.  Can't easily do the larger risers with innertube.

Maybe the best overall grip material is good ole' leather.  It is available in inexpensive scrap pieces, many colors and thicknesses, it's functional, non-slick if mounted with the rough side out, and fairly easy to lace on.  You don't need adhesive if you lace them snugly, making changing/removal easy (and protecting the riser wood form glue marks) if you decide to replace them later.  

Also, there's something to be said for a bare riser (i.e. no cover).  It's one of the best ways to make sure that how your hand is contacting your particular bow is done in a way that minimizes bow torque, which can cause accuracy problems.  If it's 'slippery' (such as when wet or sweaty) the bow itself will often tell you how it wants to be held to avoid twisting.  If your bow tends to move sideways in your hand when shooting, you might want to look at how you are holding it as a way to help correct any torque problems that might be present.  In that case you might not even need to cover the grip.

Plenty of choices to consider.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 01:51:00 PM »
Bike tubes come in all different sizes to fit any bow and work great. Grip awesome, last for years (got almost 10 years on same tube grip). I personally will not use anything else. I actually order my bows with out a grip, knowing that I'm gonna use a bike tube.

Offline Echo62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »
I have a Posi-Grip  on my recurve and love it.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2nd Timothy 1:7.

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 02:06:00 PM »
Sure grip on all my bows and is not slick when wet.
Conny

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 02:11:00 PM »
I use hockey stick tape
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 03:18:00 PM »
I quit hunting long before I have to worry about a wet grip...I do not want to risk a compromised blood trail washed away by rain

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 10:28:00 PM »
I have Sure Grips on every one of my bows, including the recurves. Roll it on and tug the roll with pliers if needed to get over the bumps of a recurve riser, even takedowns.

They do not slip with sweat, water, or slick wool gloves.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »
I have a limb saver tentacle grip on one of mine and I really like it.  Easy to put on.  Easy to take off.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 05:29:00 AM »
Beaver tail.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 06:35:00 AM »
I had a recurve that I put a section of bicycle inner tube on.  I offered to pay the local shop for a broken inner tube, he gave it to  me for free.  Can't beat that price, at least to try it out and see if you like it...  Other wise I've used tennis racket stuff, liked it.  And I've just left it bare wood.  Like above, I don't want to hunt in the rain.

-Jeremy   :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©