3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Human scent vs predator scent  (Read 684 times)

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Human scent vs predator scent
« on: July 22, 2015, 01:34:00 AM »
I just had a wild thought today.
Is it the human scent that alerts prey animals, or is it the scent of a predator in general? In other words, I wonder if eating meat causes us to have a distinct scent that a vegan wouldn't have.

I don't have the knowledge or resources to study/research such an idea, but thought if throw it out there to see what your thoughts are.

Would you go vegan before hunting if your scent was no longer a factor? If that even worked, I wonder how long you would have go vegan to replace your scent signature. A day? A month? A decade?
Would vegan be sufficient, or would you have to have a vegan diet of only local flaura?

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Human scent vs predator scent
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 07:47:00 AM »
Not sure vegan would change much. My thought is bacteria on skin producing gas, decaying skin cells, chemicals we use and sebaceous secretions are all involved to give hunters away.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 07:48:00 AM »
NO!  I hunt to kill (and eat) Meat.  

I'm sure changing your diet would change your scent but I do not believe it would change it enough to make deer less afraid of you.

The only reason for me to go vegan is if I cant kill anything. But I wouldn't change my diet to change my scent..... I would just play the wind.....

Besides, thats what all that expensive scent eliminator stuff is for    :laughing:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 08:04:00 AM »
I think you would still have HUMAN SCENT it would just be slightly different...but not sure.  It is said the native americans would go to sweat lodge and change their diet before a hunt but never saw much of this to confirm or say whether was isolated or widespread.

Play the wind and wont matter...  I am a omnivore...a predator...I am going to eat meat.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 08:40:00 AM »
During the season  I drink tinks 69.on ice.  Seems to work. Lol lol.
Dan Breen

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 08:47:00 AM »
I have read that meat may alter the human scent, but I still think that animals would recognize the smell as human. As Brock said, "hunt the wind."
Sam

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 09:52:00 AM »
It's just an abstract thought guys, don't take it too seriously.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about becoming vegan, I'm talking about a short term diet change in order to give yourself an advantage. Maybe it wouldn't.

My main pondering is whether it is "humans" that offend deer, or "predators" that offend deer.
Surely, pigs, turkey, mice, etc. produce gas, sweat, have bacteria. So is it that deer recognize each animal's smell and file's that animal into "scary" and "not scary" or is there a general smell that all carnivores have that tip them off, whether or not they know what animal in particular it is associated with.
Do they not avoid other prey animals because their scent isn't offensive, or because they know what scent belongs to what animal and they know which one's are predators?

I guess my main curiosity is how animals work more than whether or not I can use that knowledge to my advantage.

Obviously, playing the wind is key, but some places make that difficult when the wind is different depending which side of the ridge you're on and if you're at the top or bottom. Or if you have to cross a trail to get to your area, I've heard the human scent may as well be a brick wall on that trail and deer will pull a U turn ASAP.

Remember, I'm not looking for advice, I'm just thinking out loud, and I was hoping you all could join the conversation.

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by Brock:
I think you would still have HUMAN SCENT it would just be slightly different...but not sure.  It is said the native americans would go to sweat lodge and change their diet before a hunt but never saw much of this to confirm or say whether was isolated or widespread.
Interesting, I had never heard of that. Maybe there is some validity to my thought, or maybe some Indians had the same thought, but not being able to prove their theory, they just played it safe?

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 10:51:00 AM »
Years ago, I mean YEARS ago I read an article in 'field and stream' called "scent of a carnivore". It dealt with this topic. I don't remember the author of it seeing how I read it in the mid '80's when I was in high school.

Anyhow,from what I remember from it was that the indigenous personnel  that were in the midwest ( native Americans) would go vegetarian  and do the sweat lodges before a big hunt.  

I don't recall how many days before, but really emphasized the sweat lodge.  

I don't know if this helps any, just thought I'd share. ...

Good luck and God bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 10:51:00 AM »
Not sure if I'd go vegan, but, I refuse to role in manure like some wild predators do to hide their scent-though, it would be a lot cheaper than Scent Eliminator products!!!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Slimpikins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 10:54:00 AM »
I have read that Native Americans would refrain from eating meat for a couple of weeks leading up to a big hunt.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »
Agree, stay down wind and it won't matter.  But, here's another thought.  When we go into full-on predator mode - meaning we aim to kill the deer we are looking at, they know.  Whether it's scent or ESP or basic animal survival, they know.  I've had deer at 3-4 feet away, down wind of me, and they didn't care.  I think the reason is that I was relaxed and I knew - therefore they knew - I wasn't going to try and kill them.  So, does being more relaxed help?  I dunno, need more experiences to determine that.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 11:30:00 AM »
Humans ARE Preditors.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 11:52:00 AM »
The reason that natives refrained for meat before hunting was....they'd run out!

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 12:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pete McMiller:
  So, does being more relaxed help?  I dunno, need more experiences to determine that.
Another interesting thought. Perhaps there is some other sensory that we put off when we are hunting/nervous/tense. Or maybe you were in a no hunting area, so they are used to seeing people?

Originally posted by calgarychef:
The reason that natives refrained for meat before hunting was....they'd run out!
Haha, well there's always that...

Offline Slimpikins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 12:43:00 PM »
hahahaha Calgarychef. Touche'

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 06:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brock:
It is said the native americans would go to sweat lodge and change their diet before a hunt but never saw much of this to confirm or say whether was isolated or widespread.
I remember reading this as well.. If memory serves I think Saxton Pope wrote about it from Ishi's experience.

And to answer the question, I couldn't give up meat if my life depended on it    :D  

I prefer to use the scent off local foliage and soil to cover my scent. Seems to work well enough for me.
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 09:29:00 PM »
I read the same article in the 80's,and tried it one of my first seasons hunting.  Switched out for a month. don't know if it worked or not. Never saw a deer downwind. On a non scent predatory human thought, I have permission to hunt turkeys at a house that is plagued by them.  Destroy the gardens, won't leave even when the owners throw stones. I showed up to set up a blind after school, in my "teacher uniform" and the turkeys took off.  No camo, no bow.  Just stepped out of the truck and the birds left. I need to think about hunting less I guess.  The turkey seemed t know I was not there for tea.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline stonewall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 05:06:00 PM »
I'm in the opinion that you have to play the wind. Because anything that was not grown or birthed in the woods is a foreign odor , no matter how many salads you eat or what you put on your not natural to there home. I'm a trapper and over the years I've learned over the years , you got to be where they want to be. It does not matter what you do your not gone kill human scent. If an animal can pick up a foreign scent in a tank of gas, they can pick up our scent regardless. You just to be in a place where they really want to be.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 06:35:00 PM »
Animals are creatures of habit and season changes. as hunting season approaches, seasoned animals are naturally more aware. For months on end there is no human scent in the woods, then all of a sudden its everywhere.... They KNOW its hunting season...

Play the wind and forget about covering your scent. it ain't worth all the effort and money spent IMO.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©