3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Go Where You Don't Belong?  (Read 760 times)

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Go Where You Don't Belong?
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 11:22:00 PM »
I heard an interesting conversation a while back. In it the commercials were being discussed and the programming was referred to as "filler". That kinda sums up hunting shows for me.
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 07:46:00 AM »
As to militarization of hunting, hunting tech has always followed military tech.  When hunters were using falling blocks, rolling blocks, and even muzzleloaders, the military started using lever action repeaters.  A few civilians bought them at first, but widespread popularity came a few years after they hit the battlefield.  Soldiers carried them, became familiar/comfortable with them and were impressed with their performance, and bought one for themselves when the got home.  The same trend happened with bolt actions sporting box magazines and spire point bullets.  Then again with semi auto rifles, and now more recently with the modern AR platforms.  I believe it was into the 60s before military rifles started looking "tactical".  Before that, everything had a walnut stock.  As far as the commercial goes, I haven't seen it.  But it sounds like bad taste, but I think modern technology doesn't automatically make something bad taste.  I'm not going to judge somebody else for the equipment they use, but for their attitude when hunting.  

Matt
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 01:31:00 AM »
Looking for a Goodwill Ad that says buy your wool here get it into the woods give it new life.    :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 09:24:00 AM »
Just another reminder of why I refuse to watch the outdoor crap on tv.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »
I agree that the "fight against nature" tone is not entirely accurate.  I always felt hunting was about becoming part of nature.  I think you find a lot more success by becoming a part of the forest.  Then again I don't hunt these outfitter deer farms which seem to take little in actual hunting skill.  The commercialization of our sport is something we just have to deal with.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 10:00:00 AM »
I think the same of these reality TV shows about the daily happenings of the various game warden departments. They over and over show the bad side of hunters and hunting. Brain washing the public into thinking that all hunters are like that. Bad, bad, bad. No big deal now but general public opinions eventually change laws.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 10:26:00 AM »
I was at the Dentists office yesterday and saw the cover of a recent issue of Sports Afield showing a large knife with the bold headline  of "Fight for Survival" (actual wording may have been slightly different).  Have they never been in the woods?  Over my 40 year outdoor career I've been in a some pretty remote spots and never felt I was anywhere near having to fight to survive.  This includes a 50 mile trip through Canadian wilderness  where all we ate was what we could catch in the river we were following.

That magazine made it clear to me why I limit my "outdoor media" consumption to Traditional Bowhunter and few websites similar to this.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2015, 10:28:00 AM »
I agree with your overall point, yes folks seem not to see the woods we do. However, we are on the same team. I didnt see that add the same way you did. I saw an athletic company appealing to the competive side of atheletes that may not presently hunt. Also it would be appealing to athletes that have already graduated high school/college, but still itch to be competitive.

Yep, i see the woods differently, but that doesnt mean that someone else doesnt see the woods as a new football feild or wrestling mat. And there is absolutley nothing wrong ewith having either view.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2015, 06:30:00 PM »
I was thinking about this the other day while watching Alaska- The Last Frontier. One of the Kilcher guys killed a deer and their respect for the animal they killed was such a departure from the high five, booyah celebrations that lack any respect for the life just taken. I thought, "Now that's the way you do it."
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2015, 09:26:00 PM »
It's all fun and games but the appeal of watching someone else hunting is lost on me. And it doesn't matter if it's Howard Hill, Fred Bear or one of the contemporary "Pro Hunter" Pukes hawking a bunch of useless crap.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2015, 09:46:00 PM »
I make an attempt to blend in with nature, not conquer it. Unfortunately, this attitude does not sell many advertising minutes.

There are many ads in magazines and TV where the "hunters" look like they're mad at the world. I guess I just don't get it, I'm usually pretty happy.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©