3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I always wanted one.  (Read 236 times)

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
I always wanted one.
« on: July 26, 2015, 12:44:00 AM »
I wanted a 1970 Bear Super Kodiak since 1970. My friend had one and I always admired it. I finaly got around to buying one and it being shipped to me at this moment. Does anyone know what the recommended brace high is and if they were center cut back then? I also will be using a Hoyt hunter rest on it and there is no plunger hole so how high above the shelve should I set it for the best arrow flight?
Thank you!
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Offline Panzer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I always wanted one.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 07:18:00 AM »
I'm no Grizz expert but I would say that they are cut to center, if not they must be very close. I would start the brace height at 8" and then go up from there if necessary, probably won't go past 8 3/4.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 07:40:00 AM »
Pretty unlikely that bow would be center cut...pretty easy to tell once you nock an arrow and see where it points...my guess would be to put the rest on so that the bottom of the rest touches the shelf...something else to consider is a featherrest...actually when I get an old bow like that I take a good look at the way it is set up and if it looks reasonable I just shoot it the way it is for a while before making any changes...quite often the previous owner knew a thing or two about setting up bows of that era

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 01:23:00 PM »
I know that once the bow arives I will be able to tell the cut but I also know there are many experts of vintage bows on this site and I was asking for help. There is no Bear Rest or any rest presently other than a bare shelf and no sideplate. I like a Hoyt hunter rest as I know mant people do so I want to place it for optimun performance. I have no problem with playing with the brace hieght but tips from people that know what works best helps.
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
A 70 Kodiak will be cut to center (but not center shot).  The Hoyt rest will work great, I'd mount it as low as possible.  Brace at 8"+.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 04:52:00 PM »
Thank you Flecther..

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 04:52:00 PM »
Sorry I mean Fletcher...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©