3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kuiu Guide DCS Jacket vs. Sitka Jetstream  (Read 2107 times)

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
Kuiu Guide DCS Jacket vs. Sitka Jetstream
« on: July 27, 2015, 05:39:00 PM »
I'm contemplating one last gear addition before I set off after high country mulies and elk at the end of August, then river bottom whitetails in mid-October. A friend of mine has the Jetstream Jacket and I like it, but the price is a bit steep ($330). I love my Kuiu pants so I looked at the Guide DCS Jacket($190), which costs significantly less.

So, has anyone tried both and have any feedback? Anyone who loves/dislikes whichever one they have? Is the Jetstream that much better that it's worth the extra cash? Above all, I'm a bit nervous that either jacket could be too noisy for close-range whitetails. Thanks for any insight.
FoCoBlackWidow

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kuiu Guide DCS Jacket vs. Sitka Jetstream
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 05:45:00 PM »
Have been reviewing this same comparison.

This review, hunters represented, and comments below it are compelling.

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »
The Jetstream Jacket is a phenominal jacket. I used mine in CO for elk and used it back home for whitetail too. Extremely well designed, well made, and versatile. Be patient and shop around and you can get any Sitka Gear at pretty good discounts.

Most KUIU is good gear and comparable to Sitka as far as overall quality. The Guide jacket is nice but in my opinion the Jetstream is a better design and more versatile. Both are quiet enough for whitetails.

KUIU is cheaper because their business model is different. Keeps cost down but customer service and availability suffer considerably. Sitka has outstanding customer service. I can't say the same for KUIU

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 07:03:00 AM »
I have had the  Sitka 90% Jacket for 6 or 7 years now and it is my favorite piece of clothing.  It is basically the Jet Stream without the hood.  I recently tried on a Kuiu Guide that a friend on mine bought.  Looks good but he bought it used from a guy that obviously wanted something else.  

Was surprised in the video above where the guy complained about water retention with his Stika gear.   I have had just the opposite.  I have sat in a light misty rain for several hours and been comfortable.
T ZZZZ

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 09:37:00 AM »
Very happy with my Jet Stream jacket, I have used it for elk, deer, and bear hunting.  I thought the water resistance was pretty good.

Don't know about the other brand.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 02:18:00 PM »
I don't have any experience with kuiu but I absolutely love every piece of Sitka gear I have. My friends liked it a lot too and many of them bought their own sets as well.

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 06:28:00 PM »
Thanks, all. Dan, that video is really interesting. My buddy swears by his Jetstream and we end up with plenty of rain on our mule deer/elk hunts. He rarely bothers to put on a rain jacket unless it's really coming down. It would be nice to be able to test out a Guide jacket but you really have no option to see it in person first. That's the biggest hesitation for me.
FoCoBlackWidow

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 06:50:00 PM »
I have had a guide jacket for two seasons now and love it. I use it for for whitetails and our mild winters in the south. Water resistance is excellent as I have worn it multiple times in rain, and through layering it is my go to jacket throughout the season along with guide pants.

With that being said I have a buddy with the jet stream and likes it equally as well.

I would not however be hesitant to order kuiu as it is an excellent jacket, as well as all of there products.

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 10:41:00 AM »
Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll have to decide quickly if I'm going to have it for the opener a month from today! Can't wait.
FoCoBlackWidow

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »
Jordan- KUIU is on backorder!  Ouch. . . Did see a used Jet Stream for sale elsewhere if you PM me.

Fellow BW man here. . .  :)

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 01:36:00 PM »
My son has Kuiu and I have Sitka both are XL. I don't fit into the Kuiu jacket at all. If you have the build of a 30 year old track star the Kuiu fit is perfect otherwise buyer beware.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 04:00:00 PM »
You're way too late to order any KUIU stuff. Unless you get lucky or find it used you will wait awhile for it. Everything is direct from them. That's their business model. Keeps price down but also service

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 11:47:00 PM »
Looked on the site this afternoon and you're right - way too late for Kuiu. Oh well.

KSdan, I'll reply to your PM next. Love my Widow!
FoCoBlackWidow

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 07:35:00 AM »
The newest design Sitka Stratus jacket is worth looking at too. It is one of my all time favorites.

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 06:09:00 PM »
How's the Stratus jacket for packing? It looks promising as a whitetail jacket.
FoCoBlackWidow

Online Dsturgisjr

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
Jordan, A 2XL rolls into a bundle a little smaller than a volley ball. They really nailed it on fit, comfort and usefulness.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 12:27:00 AM »
I agree with Denny on this one. The new stratus jacket is excellent. I like my older status coat but this new one is better I think (even though I have not worn it hunting). It's quieter than the old one. Think they changed the pockets a little too. Add to the fact that is has a windstopper layer and it's a tough one to beat.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 12:33:00 AM »
Another thing I should add. I'm a medium in Sitka Gear. Go with what the sizing chart tells you to go with. Some will want to buy a coat a size bigger for more layering. Don't do it. The whole idea is to do with less layering. I hunted down to 10 degrees in a treestamd last season and never had on more than 3 layers up too and 2 on my legs. The under layers are amazing and are thin. If you go with an oversized coat you will have no choice but to add more layers to fill in the dead airspace. You will stay warmer if you go with what the size chart tells you. This stuff doesn't play by the rules. It's making new ones. As far as packability, I can fit a Medium Stratus coat in a fanny pack.  It's really good stuff.

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 12:40:00 PM »
Awesome, thanks, guys. I imagine I can check it out at Cabela's so I'll make a run down there to have a look. Sounds like a quality jacket. Most of my whitetail hunting is October in Nebraska so it's not exactly cold, but we have had mornings in the low-20s so the versatility to use on the mountain and when the temps drop would be really nice.
FoCoBlackWidow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©