3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Desperately need tent help!!  (Read 899 times)

Offline Julian

• Trad Bowhunter
Desperately need tent help!!
« on: July 28, 2015, 05:55:00 PM »
I'm going on a camping trip to Wyoming in a little over a month and the tent we ordered which is used canvas army tent is treated with some kind of tar and it smells awful. The fumes are unbearable and it can't be slept in. Does anyone have any ideas how to remove this tar/oil safely without risking damage to the tent canvas itself??? It's not a slick or sticky tar but you can tell its on there, the residue isn't a problem but the fumes make it un usable. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance!!!
Bear grizzly 50# @28
Browning cobra 45# @28
Eskimo broad heads on both

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Desperately need tent help!!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 06:09:00 PM »
I am not a tent expert, but I would set up the tent in the sun in your garden for about a couple of weeks before doing anything to it

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Julian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 06:15:00 PM »
Sorry forgot to add we scrubbed it with dawn repeatedly on the ground and then set it up in the Alabama sun for about a month and it didn't help at all. I've been reading up on all sorts of mineral spirits and alcohols but I can't decide what I need to try that won't harm the fabric.
Bear grizzly 50# @28
Browning cobra 45# @28

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 06:40:00 PM »
I doubt you will be able to remove the preservative that is on it without permanently damaging the canvas.  I've hunted out of old army tents before and the smell I noticed was more a waxy smell.  If it really is unusable best bet would be to get a different tent.  I've spent 6-7 weeks in my Kodiak canvas tent in the past year and honestly think it is the best tent I've ever owned.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 07:02:00 PM »
My memory bank has locked in the smell of Army GP tents. That odor is just part of having a tent like that, and I doubt that it can be removed. BTW, soldiers have been living and sleeping in tents like that for many years.
Probably time for another tent if you just can't abide the scent.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 07:41:00 PM »
Sorry to say, but I think you'll need to cut your losses and get another tent. I'd take a long close look at the new lines of "tipi tents" myself, and suggest you do also. May be more expensive to get into, but they're great tents, in any weather. A fraction of the canvas tents in weight and packing size to boot.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
That odor does not go away in the sun and rain. not only were those tents treated to withstand the elements but being folded up and stored for long periods. Only good thing I can say is they were better than our two man tents. Back then everyone smoked so the tent odor was not as noticeable.

Offline Julian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
I appreciate everyone's input but I don't think this is a "regular tent smell" the fumes that boil off remind me off creosote. I spent one night in it and woke with an unbearable fume headache. Worse than anything I've gotten at work from being to close to a generator or welder for long periods. There's no way it can be used in its current state. If I can't find a solution it will have to be thrown out or returned I guess.
Bear grizzly 50# @28
Browning cobra 45# @28

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 12:20:00 PM »
I doubt, after what you have already tried, you will get the smell out. I f you want to use canvas, I would suggest you contact Tent Smiths. They make quality gear, and have superb customer service.
Sam

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 12:54:00 PM »
I have a Whelen Lean to from Duluth Tent And Awning, that has the smell you describe. They claimed it was the waterproofing/fireproofing that they use.

I've had it for quite a few years, and it still smells, even though I use it on a regular basis, and have left it out to air several times.

The saving grace in my case, is that It's a lean to, open in the front, so It's not too overpowering. I got used to it, but something enclosed, with as strong a smell as you say yours has, would probably be a different story.

I'm sorry to say that I can't really offer any advice other than what's already been suggested. Good luck with it, and on your hunt.

Bob

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 02:51:00 PM »
sorry to say this but i have just the tarp that was used to wrap tent like yours and it still has a smell after more than 40 years of outdoor use...when the weather is hot the smell gets louder !!!

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 03:40:00 PM »
That is a form of creosote penetrating fluid that he smells.  I would return it if possible, if not soak it in tub with a gallon of vinegar added, then add a box of baking soda, stand back for a bit. Then stir until smoo, no wait, let it soak for a while. Hang it out to dry and spray it with your garden hose,  or take to a car wash and blast the crap out of it.  If the smell is gone then Scotch Guard it.  I would not try to soak it with alcohol, messing with that much flammable liquid could result in an explosion.

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 02:44:00 PM »
Find out if it is cosmoline that was used. I believe the military uses that as a peservative. If so, or if nothing else works ask an Import car dealer what chemical they use to remove cosmoline. I use to import cars years ago and that is how they shipped the cars. I don't know for sure if they still do it that way but I remember we used some sort of strong chemicle that we called cosmoline remover.
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Offline Julian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 10:42:00 AM »
Thanks for all your advice!! It was definetly creosote. We ended up using concentrated Mean Green. It took some tedious pressure washing but we finally got it clean and the cleaner left no lingering odor it just smells clean now.

Thanks again for all your advice
Bear grizzly 50# @28
Browning cobra 45# @28

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »
Glad to hear it Julian, and thanks for the tip.   :thumbsup:

Bob

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2015, 12:37:00 PM »
Julian,

You will need to coat the tent to make it waterproof.  Check out silicon and other canvas coating products that don't smell.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 05:04:00 PM »
Good news! I was feeling pretty bad for you

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 10:47:00 PM »
Go to an auto supply store and by some purple power, de-greaser,  stuff works great.   I'm not sure what it does to canvas but I've used on some fabrics and had good luck.

Sorry just read you solved......
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©