3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mountain gear help....  (Read 716 times)

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
Mountain gear help....
« on: July 28, 2015, 10:26:00 PM »
Need some new boots for Sept elk hunt , wore out my old pair and I like a full leather boot. What and where is the best deal around for a good boot. Also want to get a good base layer of merino wool this year. I like a good deal on stuff like seconds or returns of new items . I have looked up old posts here and elsewhere just bringing it up again for a current deals you might know about . As I need to buy in the next few weeks also what is your must have item for a week in the backcountry..

,,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mountain gear help....
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 10:57:00 PM »
That last part is what piece of gear are you most impressed with ( a must have for you )...

,,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 11:05:00 PM »
Well I can't speak for a must have in the backcountry. But as far as the merino wool base layer, IMO FirstLite can't be beat. They are have a sale on the original Kanab pants, not a base layer but they are some awesome merino wool pants.

I've been searching for some good mountain boots too, so I'll keep an eye on this one. Good luck Sam!!!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 11:11:00 PM »
Boss are a very personal decision, but I sure like Miendl Perfect Hikers for an all leather boot.  Have heard good things about Kennetreck as well.  Not cheap, but boss are the one piece of bread I never would skimp on. They can make our break your hunt faster than any other piece of equipment.

For merino base layers I really like Minus 33.  I also just picked up some from First Lite and they seem to be excellent as well.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 11:25:00 PM »
I wore LL Bean Main Hunting Boots both times I went to Colorado in late August and early September. I've worn them for most of my hunting for 30 years. We were between 9K and 10K for 6 days in the San Juan mountains.
 A water pump/filter made fresh water easy to get if you have a stream handy. A good, complete trail mix is an easy day time meal to munch on all day. Be prepared for anything that might arrive. Amodium for the possibility of diarrhea(bad water or food) Scent free baby wipes from Walmart come in real handy for TP and around camp. A simple survival kit with a few kinds of fire making, a space blanket, a cheap plastic poncho or sheet plastic, 50' of para cord and water purification tablets can all be packed in a ziplock baggie and take up very little space. Some bandaids, a sewing needle and a razor will fit in there too. I keep a simple survival kit in my fanny pack all the time.
 A lot will depend on where you go and the terrain you'll be camping and hunting in.
 Like I said I've only been out west 2 times and all of this info came from right here on TG.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 12:19:00 AM »
www.camofire.com  has been running a lot of good deals on Merino recently.  I'd have to say the most impressive pieces of gear I've added recently are my Swarovski 8x30 CL binoculars, enlightenedequipment quilts, and my neoair sleeping pads.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 08:15:00 AM »
I've been through a lot of boots over the years, and several have performed quite well, but the Kennetreks I currently have are the best ever for me.  Perfect fit, reasonable weight and tough as all get out.

I don't usually wear wool undergarments on my September elk hunts, but do carry some minus 33 lightweight wool just in case.  Have a pair of First light wool pants.  Nice features, light for warm weather, but tear rather easily.

Other than my bow and arrows, the one piece of gear I wouldn't be without in the mountains is a good seth of binos.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 09:45:00 AM »
I have made four trips elk hunting in CO with Meindl Perfekt Hikers and am happy with them.  Never had a blister yet, and my feet stay dry in them.

Water purifier is my must have. But there are lot of must haves.  Poncho at a bare minimum, or other rain gear for instance.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Pettit877

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
Sam

I have a pair of Meindl perfekt hunters they are a touch higher for more ankle support, which I like.   I have no complaints at all.  Hardly any brake in time and are great from laying down a lot of tracks.

Eric

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 10:39:00 AM »
I'm using Lowa Renegade GTX boots and have no issues with them for tough hiking with a heavy pack on. They're only a mid-height boot, though.

As for merino, I really like Icebreaker.

A mountain must-have: your favorite candy bar for a treat every few days. Dehydrated meals and protein bars get old.

Good luck.
FoCoBlackWidow

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 11:26:00 AM »
I am a big zamberlan fan.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 11:43:00 AM »
Yes a good pair of boots soon. Just a couple of weeks to try them out and break them in.
A good large day pack(Enough room for your extra wool layer, lunch and a wool hat or to shed a layer) with a Camel back type hydration system is a must for me. I got Fast Tracker from Cabellas a couple of years ago and can not imagine not having that "sip on the go" ability again. A pack with a hydration system is must for chasing after Elk.  
good luck.
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 03:27:00 PM »
Zamberlan boots for me and a comfortable pack. I wear First Lite and Sitka gear. Good equipment helps both mentally and physically.
Sometimes nothing is a really cool hand.

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 03:45:00 PM »
Crispi boots are my go to for the mountains, but the Kenetrek is good too.  Both fit me well.

I have never tried Zamberlan's but I have heard good things.

D.P.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 04:39:00 PM »
minus 33 wool under garments, very affordable and amazingly warm.

boots, Merrell hikers, light, waterproof and extremely comfortable

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 05:55:00 PM »
My favorite mountain boot is absolutely the Meindl Denali.  Tried most every boot out there but still cant find anything comparable with out of the box comfort, they have memory foam in them that surrounds your foot. Never had a blister in the last half dozen trips out west wearing them. I'm on my second pair now, Have literally thousands of miles on the original ones and still going. That is also my wouldn't leave home without, must have item!
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 08:42:00 PM »
Sam,

You might want to check out the Lathrop and Sons Cevedale Pro GTX (on the far left).

They are stiff in all the right places for hard climbing yet somehow still flexible in areas that make me think I'm wearing a pair of moccasins for stalking. I don't know how they do it but they are no comparison to my other Lowas, Meindls, or Kennetrek Mtn Extremes.  I've got an extra pair stashed away I like them so much. After I had to finish a Stone sheep hunt on a pair Schnee Hunters (which worked incredible well btw!) after a nicely broke in pair of Russell "Sheep Hunters" failed, I'd stay away from that brand for anything but the most casual hunt.

Merino I am partial to First Lite and Sitka.

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 09:51:00 PM »
Hey Sam--My favorite elk hunting footwear is minimalist trail running shoes. Low to the ground means less risk of spraining an ankle, and ultralight saves major fatigue. I HATE Gore-tex and leather, since once wet they take forever to dry (and your boots WILL be wet on any elk hunt). I use inov-8 Trailroc 245's and think they're about perfect, and have packed 100+ lbs in them for miles. Would never go back. Even better, you can usually get them on sale for $60.

On merino, try to get some that is not 100% merino. I like an 80/20 with nylon--gives it a lot more strength. I find my stuff cheap on places like Sierra Trading Post, and they'll occasionally give out a coupon code from their Facebook page for an additional 40% off.

Other necessary gear? I'd say my Sawyer mini filter, spliced into my Platypus water hose. Just fill the bladder and drink! Also my Opinel Garden knife--perfect size, shape, and under 2 ounces and $12. Or my 7-ounce Stoic down puffy I got for $50. Or...

Will you be backpacking? Spike camp or bivy hunting? If you're interested, here's a pic of my full gear list for bivy hunting, with weights listed:

Pete

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 12:13:00 AM »
Sam, I had a chance to try on many brands shopping for mountain boots this spring, boots are very personnel, everyone feet are unique and different in many ways, I have wide and very high feet, so many boots did not work that others liked and suggested. below is what I went for after trying 12 plus brands and models.

Hanwag -Alaska Wide GTX®
you wont regret the $ spent.

as far as merino, I think it really comes down to best camo, I love kuiu vias.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 09:37:00 AM »
Thanks everyone , very good info here...

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©