3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question about old Fred Bear cedar arrows  (Read 263 times)

Offline RGKulas

• Trad Bowhunter
Question about old Fred Bear cedar arrows
« on: July 29, 2015, 10:47:00 AM »
More precisely I have a question about the bear arrows boxes that came out of the Grayling MI plant.  Im trying to age/date the styles of arrow boxes they used. I have several styles of arrow boxes and some show a Bear Razorhead on the arrow on the side of the box but I am trying to figure out if the boxes that depict a different broadhead on the arrow on the side of the box (not the bear razorhead) are older. I can assume the boxes that show what looks like a zwickey head are older and precede the release of the Razorhead.  Also I am wondering when the green arrow boxes came to be. If there is some one here with knowledge of such matters I would love to hear your thoughts.

If you watch this old video of one of Fred Bear’s hunts you will see the arrow box being used in camp and it appears to have the Bear razorhead on the box. Fast forward to the 13:15 minute mark on the video to see the arrow box.

Here is a pic of what I assum to be the older version of the arrow box with a generic broadhead depicted.

What I assume to be the box that came out after the Razorhead was released.

All three boxes (generic broadhead, razorhead broadhead and green boxs) have “Grayling Michigan”) on them. I just don’t know in which order they were produced.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question about old Fred Bear cedar arrows
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 01:47:00 PM »
As I recall 'Best' was later than 'Finest'.
Why not move this to the collector and history section.

Offline RGKulas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
Those who want the best is what is printed on the boxes with the generic broadheadhead and those who want the finest is what is on the boxes showing the Bear Razorheads. Thanks for the comment.
I never noticed the wording was different but it confuses matters more as I think the boxes with the generic head are an earlier vintage than those with the Razorhead because once bear released the razorhead they would want to showcase only that head on the boxes and the generic head was pictured on boxes before Bear had its own signature head..

Offline RGKulas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »
As I suspected “Best” and the generic broadhead came before “finest” and the Bear Razorhead on the arrow box. This from an email from Wade Phillips.

The 1940s Bear arrow boxes were plain brown cardboard, the earliest ones have wood ends. The boxes are labeled with the Bear name, logo and address as well as the specifics about the arrows contained in the box.

In the early 1950s Bear introduced the "Bear Arrows" box with the standing bear logo and the text "For those who want the Best". The side depicted a straight edge broadhead that Ron describes as a Zwickey. These arrows were sold with various broadheads of the era, Bod-Kins, Hills Hornets, Zwickeys, Lafonds, etc, as this was before Bear made broadheads.

In 1956, the Bear Razorhead was introduced and Bear hunting arrows were sold with Razorheads in a slightly modified arrow box depicting a Razorhead and the last word of the text change from "Best" to "Finest".

At some point in the 1960s, when everything else in archery began to go to hell, the Bear Arrow box underwent a complete re-design to the ugly black & green. “

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©