3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2016' Trad-Gang Bear Quest "A Successful GREAT TIME" with plenty of BEAR ACtion  (Read 5995 times)

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
wow kip I think our bears were brothers!!

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Uncle Barry had to cancel BQ 6 so I never got to share s camp with him. Mine was the first bear taken that week. He only went 60 yards and dropped. I was able to drag him out and load him in my truck myself. I picked up Tippit and brought him back to camp. I took the pick at night and the only thing that I could find to prop his head up with was a cement boat anchor!!

Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
All will have a great time.  That is one of my favorite places.  I would go every year if I could.  The way this years is starting I think it will be good.  7 pages so far and the hunt is still 6 months away.

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
Good lookin Bears guys!

I told the news of the hunt to my boys tonight at bedtime
 ( David 9 and William 8 ) and after a few moments of wide eyed amazement  I had them guess who would be at the camp with me......

Their first two guesses were my hunting buddy Travis and brother Caleb but then I told them that I had never met this fellow in person......
David proped himself up off his pillow onto his elbow and looked me straight in the eye, "Fred Eichler" he said!!!!!!  :
   :campfire:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Ryman Cat

• Trad Bowhunter
You really want close on #8 I had one 2 feet from me almost sticking his head in my blind opening. I was back against the back of the blind thinking am I going to have to stick him in the eye? what am I going to do? Prior to that he was really acting up throwing down logs snapping his jaws and roaring.LOL I thought to myself this is going to get interesting when he came so close. I talked to myself God if you want this bear to eat me I aint going down without a fight even though I walked in with a cane and got into the blind. Told myself to be still and wait till he turns. When he did to go to bait I tried to draw on him and let him have it. He herd the arrow sliding across the shelf and looked back and just that quick jumped and ran. He was all of maybe 10 feet from me he really wasn't that spoked he came back on the bait in about 10 minutes.LOL

I could barely hear the arrow slide myself but he sure did. I wanted so bad to shoot him with the Kodiak Hunter zebra bow I just had redone. Its a blast and lots of bears you should see. I didn't favor being on the ground with them bears but I didn't have much choice I couldn't climb some guy with long legs set the pegs in the tree stand. LOL

Great place well worth it just wait and see who hasn't been up yet. I would have been back at # 9 but a car accident held me back with a concussion but # 10 I aint missing and can't wait. Everything you herd is all true and then some. This hunt is the best thing going you will love it. Make sure you have 2 thermo cells and plenty of refills you will def. need it.

Offline Ryman Cat

• Trad Bowhunter
I had a very hard time judging bears at first myself and let 2 bears go I think I should have shot at. Then when I thought I had the size down a bit I missed one the next night. The bear walked over to the arrow and smelled it and walked off not spoked just thought he knew something was up and time to leave dodge.LOL I shot right over the bear that double bull blind I had was hard to shoot out of and I had practiced at home in it and thought I had it down. It all changes when they are live and close and nerves are wired when its show time.LOL

I had a bear that I wounded he had me so wired and there was so much going on with him there were so many times I was going to lose an arrow at him probably a good 6 times I drew and let down on him.LOL

Then he takes the barrel and turns it facing me and sits up and was going to shoot him in the chest and then felt no he will eventuly settle down and give me a brood side shot I want.  He turned going away and I felt I could thread an arrow in him and I was a little far back hitting his back leg he let out a little cry as he left with the arrow in him. I gave it a little bit and got out of blind and saw blood and got back in blind hoping and praying and wondering is it going to result in a bear or just a wound? Possibly did I hit his Femoral? When I got back to camp I told the guys what happened the next morning Tom and a couple others trailed the bear 500 yards I think it was that the bear carried the arrow. He was bleeding then the arrow was found and blood lost.So no bear for me other than that it was my fault with missing 2 others I think it was if I recall. I went the 2nd week. The 1rst week I herd a good one came off stand a P and y bear that they said a 2nd bear was with that bear as big? Not sure if I shot that 2nd one or not but it sure was one I wanted. I saw a couple other bears that were rubbed pretty good so passed on shooting at them. I had another bear walk right past me a nice one that was rubbed bad. I didn't realize they can be patched up some by the taxi. You learn a lot on trips and this one I learned a little about bears. Was I nervous I sure was every night and the night I wounded that bear I was thinking what if he's wounded and near by and really ticked off at me and I'll met up with him in the dark back to my truck?LOL

I also had to manage my sugars with the insulin each day so I didn't go low and pass out. I was really thankful of all the checking on me before I went out each day. I was prepaired  well and watched what I did and ate.

I only got to hunt one stand the long trail because of the blind I had with me. I hope this year to be able to climb with getting a new hip hoping to get real soon then I'll be good to go.

If anyone has any health issues to watch? Don't keep it to yourself, make sure you tell everyone it's important so everyone knows what to watch for to help ya if you need it. I hope to meet new friends also on this trip. The other guys were the best and very helpful and it was very enjoyable. I loved it. Toms the best and a heck of a great area that's proven and set up fantastic.

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
Look forward to meeting you Glenn   :thumbsup:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Tim Nuss

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of Illinois
Compton Member

Offline DXH

• Trad Bowhunter
Wish I had seen this earlier.. When is the hunt...and how do you determine a big black bear vs an ok one ?
Ben Pearson Cougar 40#
PSE Black Hawk T/D 55#
Bamboo backed Osage Self bow 57#
Ivory Hunter 60#

Offline DXH

• Trad Bowhunter
Tttt
Ben Pearson Cougar 40#
PSE Black Hawk T/D 55#
Bamboo backed Osage Self bow 57#
Ivory Hunter 60#

Offline Tim Nuss

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Member

Offline Tim Nuss

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
What is everyone doing to prepare for this hunt?
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Member

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Just shooting!!  I'm playing around with some stuff. I just aquired a '66 Kodiak 60' 55# @ 28 that I'm going to have Gary Hall make up some arrows for. I'd be cool to take a bear with a 50 Y/O Bear!!    :goldtooth:   I'm also going to bring my BW KB X.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
This is the bear I took on my first trip to Bear Quest. Hope you fellas all have a great hunt!

Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Nice shot Bill!!  I'm thinking of borrowing a camera to try to film my hunt.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Yes!  Nice shot Bill!  

I don't know if I could have waited that long to take a shot, but maybe I better so that I can calm my nerves.

I've been working on two bows - one for Gary Hall and one for Brian Robinson.  I'm not sure if they'll use them during the upcoming Bear Quest or not and it will depend on how comfortable they can get with them between now and then.

As for me...I've been practicing with the reverse handle Hill style bow I made just for this hunt.  At the beginning and end of each practice session, I shoot a group within 10 yards for a confidence builder.  I call these my "Bear Quest" shots.

I also have some arrows coming to me from Gary - a trade for the bow I'm sending his way.

Man I can't wait!  Not just for the hunt and the good times with ya'll, but also a week away from it all!  No computer, no internet, no cell phone, and no work!
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Greatshot Bill!! And best of luck to all you guys attending seems like one HECK of a Crew I am sure there will be lots of laughs
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I remember that week Bill.  We skinned a bunch of bears.  That was a fun hunt.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
Nice one Bill, great shot!
I've been practicing 3-5 yard shots! Tom puts us up close and personal    :scared:

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
Sounds as if several of my friends are going on this hunt,wish you all the luck in the world fellas!
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©