3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2016' Trad-Gang Bear Quest "A Successful GREAT TIME" with plenty of BEAR ACtion  (Read 5994 times)

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
Time to bump this back to the top!

Starting to do some practicing....

g

Is it June Yet   :goldtooth:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
Bump, Getting closer!

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
The hunt is right around the corner.1st bait trip is this weekend.Sean Bleakly & I leave for Quebec this night 5/26 !!!   Stay Tuned.......
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
2 and a half weeks still, I'm like a kid at Christmas! My mind definitely isn't at work!

Lookin' forward to it again!

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Getting readily to go on a bait run with Tom this weekend!!  It's coming quick. I've got my '66 Kodiak matched up with a set of Douglas Fur widows tipped with Razor sharp Bear Greenies. All I need to do now is pack!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline trick00

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
The Arkansaw bunch is sitting on go!!

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
Gents DON'T forget PASSPORTS,Bowcases & orange vests !!  Oops  forgot about THERMOCELLS.
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
Check, check, check and check   :thumbsup:

Looking forward to an update on the baiting trip this weekend   :campfire:

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tom and I are driving home from the first bait run. We put a lot of blood sweat and tears in setting things up. I definitely appreciate this hunt a little more now that Ive seen how much time and work Tom puts into this. It's definitely a labor of love!

Don't foget your passports, and if you're driving your own vehicle make sure that you have a spare tire in good working order.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
10 days for the first group!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I'll leave home in 16 days.  Heading to Gary Hall's on Thursday and then on to Quebec on Friday. Wow.  I was counting down months, then weeks, now it's days!!!!!

I was practicing shooting from a seated position tonight.  I can do it at "Bear Quest range" but would obviously rather shoot from a standing position.  When I'm whitetail hunting I always stand up at first sight of a deer and and never get busted doing so.  

So a question for you bear hunting veterans - How easy is it to stand up in a stand for a shot at a bear without spooking it?
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by jsweka:
I'll leave home in 16 days.  Heading to Gary Hall's on Thursday and then on to Quebec on Friday. Wow.  I was counting down months, then weeks, now it's days!!!!!

I was practicing shooting from a seated position tonight.  I can do it at "Bear Quest range" but would obviously rather shoot from a standing position.  When I'm whitetail hunting I always stand up at first sight of a deer and and never get busted doing so.  

So a question for you bear hunting veterans - How easy is it to

stand up in a stand for a shot at a bear without spooking it?
John, the shots are real close... 8-10 yards and the stands are low, about 8 ft. A Bear can really pick up on movement. My suggestion would be to shoot from a seated position. You don't want to take that chance with that bear in tight.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
You want to shoot seated. The shots are close. The bears might pick up some movement and seated gives you a little better angle.  You want to make sure that you get both lungs.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thanks guys.  I'll keep practicing those seated shots.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
Yep, what Nate said. I have been to Bear Quest twice. Every time I tried to stand I was busted. I killed a bear on each trip from a seated position.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Last year the stand I was in my feet were at 6', and the barrel was 8 steps away. I shot from the seated position and all worked out fine. Best of luck to all you guys on Bear Quest #10.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
OK, I've taken all your advice about a seated position for shooting.  I put up my ladder stand in the back yard.  It's about 9' to the bottom of the platform. I put my target out at 10 yards and shot from the stand in a seated position.  My first group of arrows felt a bit awkward, but I dialed right in after that.  I'll be practicing like that over the next 15 days.  I had my son retrieving arrows for me and told him that will be his job each night until I leave.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
We also have a stand set up in camp for target practice.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I did four Bear Quests and in four years three arrows, three bear. On my feet for each one and not a shot over 10 yards.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©