3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2016' Trad-Gang Bear Quest "A Successful GREAT TIME" with plenty of BEAR ACtion  (Read 5993 times)

Online BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
The sow had me off my butt and on my feet.  It seemed things were happening a bit earlier today and the bears activity had been steady so far.  I figured it was in my best interest to stay standing for a while.  

About 20 minutes later, I glanced to my left and caught some black movement creeping up the swampy draw to my left.  Once it cleared a few trees about 30 away, I got a better look.  Long legs, thick trunk with no taper...I think this was a good boar.  I had some sow in heat spray in the pocket of my safety vest.  What could it hurt?  I squirted a few pumps into the air.  The wind had been variable and changing directions all day, and this bear was not following the pattern of the others.  

A few minutes later he changed direction and was moving my way.  

I flipped on the video camera and waited to see what unfolded.  He looked good, but I wasn't sure if he was the one.  

He hit the stand site and looked around.  Casually he glances around but notice a quick glance my way.  He grabs a few marshmellows and glances up at me again... and then again.  Now he is strolling to the base of my tree.  "Why do they always do this to me?" I thought to myself.  I am only about 8 feet off the ground and I am not a fan of visitors joining me in my tree, even if they are only curious.  When he got to within 3 feet of the base of my tree, I reached down below the base of my platform and snapped my fingers.  He paused and slowly turned and walked the other direction.  Now until this point, I wasn't sure if I would pass or not.  He didn't blow out of there on a run, which I knew could happen.  He slowly walked away from the base of my tree. I decided that if the right opportunity was presented I would give him a try.  

Click the image below to join me in the tree and see how things played out....[/i]

Click the above image for video.

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Nice job J. Is that at blowdown?  Beautiful bear.

Offline trick00

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great story and video, Jay!

Online BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
That is the blowdown.

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
Nice bear Jay   :clapper:

A bear was not sighted out of Blowdown this week....
The Lord Is My Provider......

Online BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
Folks,
I have to show you one more thing..

I hadn't home 3 days when I found a package on my doorstep.  At first I didn't pay any attention to the shipping label.  A bit later, I went to open it and noticed it was from Chad K (Kuch).

This was the second or third year that I hunted with Kuch and some friends.  We always had a great time!  He will also have you laughing so hard that you might blow beer out of your nose at least once during the week.  

Inside the package I found a very nice note and this...    

A Puukko knife that Chad had recently finished.  This thing is gorgeous!  Not to mention that it is probably one of the sharpest knives I have ever seen!  The blade was hand forged by a second generation Finnish knife maker.  I was floored!

Chad, I am not sure I am worthy but I won't be sending this back.  :)   You are a fantastic guy and I hope we share a camp again!  Thank you for all the help skinning my bear, sharpening my knives, flushing my sinus cavity out with Bud Light.  It was a great week!

Thank you!  I am happy to know you, Joe and Larry all made it home safe.  

We'll all get together for a hunt or some fishing in the future.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Pretty cool stuff Mr. Addair......   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline dringge

• Trad Bowhunter
What a great video. Thanks for sharing.
NRA Life Member

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter

It's not my story to tell but this is a little teaser from weak two........

:campfire:

Online BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
Was that off of the Bowl?

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Jay...Nice shot, great bear, great video, and that string tracker was pretty cool.  Did it go all the way to the bear?  How many yards did he go? How much did your bear weigh in?

Was it a cold spring?  The bears all seemed to have great coats without any rubs.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
WOW 305......that's twice what mine was last year, That's a biggun..........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
Hi Jeff,
We miss you up there.  The string tracker is pretty cool and I figured it couldn't hurt.  The line did go all the way to the bear, two lines, one white and one red.  I think he made it 60 or 70 yards.  The blood trail was awesome all the way, but the tracker added a little extra insurance ...just in case.

All the bears I saw personally or on my game cameras had beautiful coats.  It kind of felt like it might have been a late spring up there.  Temps ranged from 39 - mid 70's while we were there.

He ended up being 205#.

Online BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
Hmmm... the suspense of that teaser is getting to me.  

You guys drive safe!

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by BlkDog:
Was that off of the Bowl?
:bigsmyl:

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Those long haired thick coats are usually indicative of a more severe/ longer previous winter. When you see a single bear with a lot longer hair than most of the others in the area it's usually because he did not den well and mother nature made his coat thicker to try to keep him warmer until spring. bw

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Jay,

Great video.  Congrats.

God bless,
>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow---->

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>----->  SBD...Bow Strings ..."not just another bow string"   www.sbdbowstrings.com

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great stuff Jay!!  Chad, what a beauty of a knife, and very generous of you!!  It was great hunting with you guys. I haven't laughed that hard in a long long time!!

There was still snow when we went on the bait run in some of the low spots in the shade. Every bear that I saw had s beautiful coat. Bowdoc had to settle for a bigger bear with a full coat. I know it was killing him!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
I see bears are still liking to check you out in the tree Jay! I remember your first year on the "bird" stand.
Thanks for the story and videos, Well Done!

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
quote:
Originally posted by 23feetupandhappy:

It's not my story to tell but this is a little teaser from weak two........

:saywhat:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©