3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2016' Trad-Gang Bear Quest "A Successful GREAT TIME" with plenty of BEAR ACtion  (Read 5984 times)

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Yellow Dog:

quote:
Originally posted by 23feetupandhappy:

It's not my story to tell but this is a little teaser from weak two........

:saywhat:  
We would have gladly gave that big fella a ride back to Iowa but he had a little more of an Easterly Destination.......

:campfire:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
That was an awesome video...well done!! Congrats!

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Congrads Jeff, nice video. Waiting to
 Hear LD story those string trackers are nice when you got one red and one white line.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
Great job Jay nice bear.I waited too long missed out on a great hunt.Take care.Kip

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
Awesome bear Jay!!!!!
I liked watching the string pulse out of the stringer and then stop   :bigsmyl:

Offline ghall80

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bear Quest was the best hunt hands down I have ever been on. The guys in camp on week 2 were some of the best I have ever been in the woods with. BOWDOC was awesome entertainment and a fantastic guy to have in camp will miss that little old man.
This morning I needed a cup that crazy guys coffee lol!! TOM did an amazing job never saw that man stand still once always on the move taking care of the hunters and making sure we had what we needed Tom is a top hand for sure. And the best outfitter I have ever had the pleasure to hunt with.
I feel a made a new friend hanging out with Matty just a great guy and best boat captain on the water as long as he had the boat between the lines. He videoed my Bear hunt we set out after a Bear he named Carl I did get an arrow in him and it just breaks my heart that we could not find him nothing worse then hurting a beautiful animal, really feel just awful right now. Matty sure helped me keep my spirits up in camp. All you guys at camp you truly made my hunt and it would a honor and pleasure to hunt with you again. And I want to let all you know that I made it home safe and sound with getting cut by Rod LOL!!

MATTY keeping it between the lines

Matty never did see this ginger bear at the bait again

One of the best guys I know Brain Robinson  and I heading out to bait some sites. This is my hunting and shooting  buddy back home I just dont know a better guy. We will be back up in camp next year

Matty my camera man and I hunting for Carl

THANK YOU ALL AT BEAR QUEST 10 Week 2 FOR A HUNT I WILL NEVER FORGET

GARY HALL
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway--JOHN WAYNE

Offline ghall80

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter

Hope this link works Matty your the best

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
Just finally waking up after rolling in at 4am this morning, my second day in a week being up more than 24 hours time to chime in. This was my second time up to Bear Quest, I went in without hesitation as it truly is the best hunt/time you will have tom puts on something very special working around the clock to make sure everyone has a shot at bears, is relaxed and comfortable, well fed and well entertained by this clown.

Unless you have met Don Ward AKA. BOW DOC you Havnt lived....My first time up to camp and meeting this man I thought holy smokes what did I get myself into? Hunting with strangers off the internet and then this guy.... I surely will not be getting out alive

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
Won't bore you with the logistics of my trip but I rolled into bearcamp on 30+ hours of no sleep I was exhausted. Everyone met up in town, we had a short visit with the week one guys in the sporting goods store and then on to camp. Picked our stands out of the hat we were all set. Even though I picked a proven winner of a stand I opted to sit out the first night. As I couldn't even see straight I was so tired. I knew however I would be in for a good week when this happened...

Offline ghall80

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hunting with Fabio can't get any better then that

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
Oh BowDoc.........    :readit:  

But I'm guna miss that oll fart greeting me in the morning and then asking in a quit voice " you ready for some coffee" ?  
Then he'd say " Get your shooting hand away from the cup so I won't burn it" as he would do his one eyed coffee pour.....

Mattys quot of the week was " BowDocs a National Treasure or somthing".       :biglaugh:  

Goofy as $#%&, but a heart of Gold!!!!!

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
Meeting these guys was a trip, As Gary mentioned great relationships were established. I had been looking forward to meeting everyone for some time. Travis (KAZ) and I had been exchanging text messages for about a month prior. So I was excited to put a face to the names of people. He and Ben were a class act. 2 Really good guys. Here's the group photo. Us holding a sign that Ben made. (One for each of us) missing from the pic is Rod Jenkins. Who was sleeping at the time. He was the only one brave enough to get up at the butt crack of dawn to brave the Bears.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wow!  If I would have had any more fun, I would have been arrested.

I didn't bag a bear, but what a blast!!

I drew the Mile Marker 41 stand, but like Matty, I decided to take it easy and catch up on some rest the first night. Here's a summary of my week.

Sunday: I saw a sow and a little cub and then a big boy kept circling and approaching the bait, but would not commit.  He was grunting and popping his jaws the whole time.  I must admit my you know what was a little puckered when I got down from my stand.

Monday: A nasty thunderstorm rolled in and chased me out of the stand early with no sightings.

Tuesday: Again no sightings, but the bait was hit hard.

Wednesday:  I borrowed Paul's trail cam and put it up.  At 9:05 pm I was looking down one trail, but when I turned my head back around a big bear sneaked in on me and was only about 2 yards behind the bait.  I started to reach for the string and got busted and away it went back up the trail.

Thursday: A couple other guys checked my bait and pulled the sd card from the trail cam while I was out helping recover another hit bear.  Turns out that 21 minutes after I left my stand Wednesday night, the big bear was back.  There were actually two big bears hitting the bait.  So although I wasn't getting many sightings of bears, I decided to "go big or go home" and opted to stick things out at the MM41 stand.

Thursday night was basically a repeat of Wednesday night with a big bear coming down the same trail at 9:15 pm, but this time I was ready and saw it coming.  My fingers were already on the string, but for some reason, it got to the same spot as it did the previous night and then bolted back up the trail.  I have no idea why.  When I told Tom I had a repeat of the previous night, he said we were gonna change things up to try to fool this guy.  Maybe it was patterning me and maybe it knew to look at the stand before committing to the bait?????

Friday: Tom and I checked the bait and it was hit hard again. We checked the trail cam and again there were two big bears on it after I had left.  So we left the stand where it was and added a new stand thinking that the bear(s) may look at the original stand and seeing nobody in it would then commit to the bait and not notice me in my new ambush spot.  We re-baited and put a satellite pile of bait outside of the drum in a good shooting lane from the new stand.

Friday night:  Tom loaded me up with everything under the sun to bring a bear in - honey burn, bacon burn, marsh mellows, etc.  Perched in my new stand, things were the same as every other night of the week with lots of squirrels and hares running around while I waited for daylight to fade.  Then about 9:10 a big bear began approaching from the trail opposite to where it normally came from.  It started toward the bait, got directly behind me, but then turned around and backed out.  It was pacing around, but then finally came back, and walked the trail behind me directly to the bait and I was so far unnoticed.  It turned and started eating the satellite bait pile, but the way it was standing put it somewhat quartering towards me and I didn't feel comfortable attempting a shot.  I kept thinking "turn damn it, turn!"  After a couple minutes of feeding it finally turned and put its front leg forward offering my shot opportunity.  I started to draw and got to about half way when it's head popped up, looked around quickly, and then it took off.  Busted again!!!!  So close!!!  

I climbed down a few minutes later as my shooting light disappeared.  It was disappointing that I didn't get a shot, but heck, I got all the thrill of drawing on a big bear without the work that comes after it - LOL.  That was well worth the price of admission.  I started packing out my gear and Tom and Paul showed up to help me take down and carry out the two tree stands.

What a great week!  Made some new friends, had many laughs, had some close encounters with some big bears, and enjoyed the deep conversations with Bowdoc.

I'll definitely be heading back.  Maybe not next year, but soon.

TOM - THANK YOU FOR PUTTING ON SUCH A GREAT HUNT FOR ALL OF US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure some of the successful week 2 hunters will be chiming in with some stories, so I won't mention who killed what.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
John, that's exactly what Tommy's hunts are all about.  You had a helluva experience, good for you.  Hunting bears over bait isn't exactly like shooting fish in a barrel, like some people mistakenly believe.  Add to that experience, the sage wisdom of BowDoc, and you couldn't ask for much more on a hunt, Ha!.  Glad you got to go.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
John,
That is what it's all about!  If I know there is a Big Bear coming in...well you know it's like hunting a Big Buck.  That was an extremely exciting hunt...Congrats.  Tom will do anything to help get it done...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
Being in the stand from the start was quite the show. However I went in to this with the intent that I would sit be calm ant spend time watching what was in the area before I shot at something.
Night one at 7:30 I was getting scoped out by the local guy who I nicknamed "Carl" (walking dead fan) always getting into trouble. I filmed this guy for about 10 minutes and he hung around the stand for an hour before I decided to let the bait rest and climb out here's a pic of Carl.

Day 2 brought in some more action. I saw Carl again and another bear who got startled by something and was crashing through the woods at full speed and who ended up running right under me. I'd say that I would not want to be in the way of a bear of any size running full steam ahead! The storm John mentioned earlier was rolling in and I was on a water stand which meant I had a boat ride wasn't long before Gary and I were braving the 1' swells

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Looks like a great time was had by all.......   :clapper:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Way to go Matty!  I know you did your part to keep everyone laughing too.  Boy do I miss being North of the Border.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
Great stuff guys.  Congrats on the bears.  Thanks for the videos, pics, and stories.

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
What a fun week!!!!!

Heres a few random pics from the week......

We met the 1st week guys at the Sporting goods store Saturday morning....
Long line of guys to check in bears   :eek:

13 I think!!!!

We got to meet Fred and his boy Jeb, great to talk with them.
Fred Singed a poster for my boys and then we got a quick pic.

We had a surprise guest in camp with us for week two......
Week one had Fred BUT we got Fabio   :biglaugh:

You just never knew where he was going to show up!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©