3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need tougher arrows  (Read 966 times)

Offline John McCreary

• Trad Bowhunter
Need tougher arrows
« on: July 29, 2015, 11:10:00 PM »
Since moving to the western slope of Colorado my stump shooting sessions have been costly. I usually break at least three cedars with each trip. The rocks of the Book Cliff mountains are harder on arrows than the fertile farm ground of Illinois. I tried aluminums but not much better and carbons are pricey. what do you archers of the west use for shafting which holds up?
Who ever called this the "Golden Years" never lived this long...

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need tougher arrows
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 11:37:00 PM »
look at some gold tip blems from big jim.  They're around $53/dozen and if you foot them, you wont break them!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 11:40:00 PM »
I have stumped with carbon for years, rocks aside, been fairly cheap when you consider a dozen lasting a few years. Thats out of 60# or a 64# bow with as much as 225 up front.

That said I am kinda getting back into the wood arrows....fir shafts from Surewood that is. The seem to be doing well out of my 56#...haven't broke one yet. Knock on wood.      :biglaugh:

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 12:04:00 AM »
Even with carbons, they still break after a while.  I carry two carbons for stump shooting: one with a judo and the other with a plastic blunt.  If I think I might hit something hard, I use the plastic blunt.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 01:17:00 AM »
I think the Carbon Express Heritage arrows are the toughest arrow made. I have shot some really hard stumps with those and they bounce right off, sometimes breaking the nocks. Very few times have I actually broke the arrow. I would still be shooting the Heritage arrows if Gold Tips didn't fly so dang good out of my bow.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Trond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 04:23:00 AM »
Footed GT's is the only arrows I use for stumping. Direct rock-hits just bounce off. Spits out the nock sometimes, but the arrows survive just fine.
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Samick Red Fox 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Offline John McCreary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 07:54:00 AM »
How are you footing Gold Tips? Are you using aluminum shafts for the footing?

Offline John McCreary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 07:55:00 AM »
How are you footing Gold Tips? Are you using aluminum shafts for the footing?

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 07:55:00 AM »
Yelp, foot them with about 1/2 of aluminum shaft, you might have to re tune.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 07:55:00 AM »
Always broke POC's stump shooting, and I don't by into that but the smell so good when they break thing.

Aluminum is about the same unless you do a bunch of work to them up front which dosen't look very good.

Carbon is much better but you still have to foot them and I like to shoot wood anyway.

Switched to Dougfir years ago and will never change again, I've bounced arrows off direct hits on rocks out west and back here and can't believe how tuff they are. Never have to straiten them or worry about them can they break? Sure they can but they will surprise you. Money well spent and the only problem is that they last so long my arrow builder isn't getting much work from me.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline John McCreary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 08:11:00 AM »
Any one have any examples of footed carbons? How do you do it?

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 09:26:00 AM »
GT Kinetics with an inch or more aluminum footing and quit hitting the rocks helps too! ;-)
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 09:30:00 AM »
http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000098  

Using a small tube cutter, cut some sections of aluminum shaft for the footing; usually an inch. If you have an arrow saw you're even better.

Collar the nock end as well with a 1/4" section.

You'll need to prepare the tube ends with a file or sandpaper. I use a bullet casing reamer from RCBS.

TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 09:31:00 AM »
Oh..glue on with a good super glue or two part epoxy.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
If you like wood shafts, check out Forrester Shafts

forresterwoodshafts.com

Pricey, but check the videos. Glancing blows have always been the destroyers of my arrows. Dead on (perpendicular hit) shots usually result in a survived shaft.

The footed and collared carbon will eliminate shaft death from glancing shots on all but the most destructive rock.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
I've had good luck with poplar shafts. They are a lot tougher than any other store bought wood arrows I've used and weigh slightly more than POC.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »
You can cut off a couple inches of an aluminum shaft and epoxy it onto the point end, in back of the field pt. of your woodies. This footing will help in adding structural strength. But if you hit a rock or really hard ground all arrows will split, bend, and/or break.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline OregonTom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 10:19:00 AM »
I stump in some very rocky areas also.  I think using rubber blunts will give an arrow shaft a better chance surviving a head on with a rock.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 12:58:00 PM »
I foot all my carbons these days. We have rocks everywhere, in the desert, in the forests, everywhere. Miss with a wood arrow and not much chance of it living. They do look cool when they splinter into a bunch of pieces. Their is a thread in how to section on what alum shaft sizes match up with various carbons. I use golf shaft epoxy to glue them on.
If you use them for targets you need to chamfer the rear of foot to make it easier to remove. I use a cheap plumbers chamfering tool I got at Harbor Frieght.

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 03:50:00 PM »
There are two arrows which are nearly indestructible: Ash and Hard Rock Maple
Personally, I prefer the hard rock maple shaft tail tapered. There is another good option:
Use the arrow-fix tool and repair your shafts with short ash/maple/hickory or black locust footings just behind the point. For me, breaking an arrow behind the point is no reason to worry. I hate if I loose an arrow because I can't find it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©