3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flintknapping Tutorial  (Read 3577 times)

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Flintknapping Tutorial
« on: January 24, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
Sorry for the wait, but here's a short how-to on flintknapping.  Knapping has been described as making little rocks out of big rocks, and there's some truth to that.  Making the little rocks look the way you want, though, takes some understanding of the way rock breaks and how you can control that.

Not all rocks are created equal.  We need rocks that are glass-like:  rocks that are homogenous, grain-free, and have a high silica content.  They also need to fracture conchoidally (that means the breaks are shell shaped).  A few of the good knapping materials are flint, chert, chalcedony, some jaspers, and some quartzites.  There's also obsidian (glass produced by volcanic activity) and of course, glass.

Here's our victim:  this is a piece of Knife River Flint from North Dakota.  Most of you folks are probably most interested in making arrowpoints.  I'll start with something fairly large (a knife blade) because it's a lot easier to observe the process on a large piece.  To make an arrowpoint you'd use the same basic process but on a much smaller scale.  I'll try to show that later.

There are two basic ways to knap.  One is percussion, where you strike the edge of the stone to break off flakes.  This is generally the "rough" work to thin and shape a large rock.  Controlled percussion can be used to nearly finish a piece.  These are the tools I'll use to percussion that piece of Knife River.  There's a billet (what I strike the stone with):  it's a 5" rod of solid copper, 1" in diameter.  Copper is soft enough that it deforms slightly and "grabs" the edge of the stone.  Steel and iron are too hard.  Other materials that are used for percussion include large antlers, dense sandstone, and some super-dense hardwoods.  I typically use copper:  it's cheap, readily available, gives very predictable results, and lasts a long time.  The other things work very well, too.

There are a couple of grinding stones in the photo.  The coarse grit is used for rough work:  the fine grit is used for more precise work.  You can't overestimate the importance of grinding stones.  You use them to abrade and dull the place on the edge where you're going to hit.  That allows the energy from the billet swing to travel into the stone, releasing the intended flake.  Otherwise, the edge of the stone would  shatter into tiny fragments.

Don't overlook the leather pad.  You'll need something like that to protect your leg during percussion.

I don't want to jump too far ahead, but I'll go ahead and mention it.  The other main knapping technique is pressure flaking, where you place a tool against the edge and press to remove flakes.  Here's a pic of those tools:

The grinder is there again, joined by a long pressure flaker which is usually called an "Ishi stick."  Ishi used a long wooden stick tipped with a horseshoe nail to pressure flake.  This one is made of a 3/4" Delrin rod and tipped with 3/16" copper.  The rectangular block is a hand pad to protect your palm.  It's a piece of maple glued to a bit of dense rubber.  Conveyor belt works great, too.  Later on there'll be pics of how these tools are used.  

One of the first things we need to do is look at the rock.  Look for obvious problems like cracks or other potential problems (crystal pockets, fossils, limestone inlusions, etc.).  Try to envision the finished piece in the stone so that you can get the most out of the rock.

Knapping is all about angles.  You'll hear knappers yak a lot about convexities and concavities.  Simply said, flakes need convexity to travel.  Concavity will stop a flake short.  That can lead to all kinds of problems.  As you're looking over your rock, look for those angles and be aware of them as you knap.  Now let's get started on that sweet piece of rock!

Here's how I hold the rock.  Being righthanded, the rock is in my left hand, and that hand is anchored on my left leg (note the leather leg pad!)  I try to keep the rock still -- no moving targets.  Make a controlled swing.  Even though it's a piece of rock, good knapping stone is brittle and will break very easily if you hit it in the right place.  You don't have to swing like you're trying to put it over the left field fence.  

Note that it's the EDGE of the stone that's struck -- not someplace out in the middle.  We're breaking flakes off and they start at the edge.  The flakes come off the underside of the rock.  

In this pic, I'm pointing at the place I want to hit.  That's called the platform.  A flake will detach from that point and follow a convexity.

Now grind the platform so that it absorbs the energy from the billet strike.  

TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flintknapping Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 11:38:00 AM »
:D   I've been waiting for this..... Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Bpaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
tagging for email notification :-)

Proceed sir, looks great    :clapper:
Except during the nine months before he draws his first breath, no man manages his affairs as well as a tree does.  
          -George Bernard Shaw

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 11:52:00 AM »
Double-check the area you're driving the flake into.  Make sure it's a convexity.  Here we've got that plus a nice ridge for the flake to follow.  Flakes, like mature bucks, love to follow ridges.

One thing you might notice about that platform was that it was at the point of a "V" on the edge, putting it close to the face I wanted to flake.  I generally keep the platforms as close as possible to the face I want to flake.  That helps insure a longer, more successful flake.

Here's the flake.  It's about what I wanted. Only a few thousand more to go.

Here are four flakes that are set back in place.  The blade is fairly flat, but there is still enough convexity and ridges for the flakes to travel. On the two flakes to the left, the platforms are visible.  Platforms that project slightly from the edge like isolated little islands are easy to hit.  They help the flake release cleanly, too, so that most of the energy goes into removing good flakes.

This piece of stone is thinning down nicely, thanks to flakes like thes that are traveling more than halfway across the face.

Take a few flakes from the opposite edge to remove some high spots and this face is pretty smooth.

These flakes didn't need to be as large as the others.  They just needed to slide under some high spots and blend into the big flakes from the opposite side.  Experience will show you how large your platform needs to be for certain flakes, as well as how hard you need to swing.

TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 12:07:00 PM »
Cool!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »
Ya gotta love this site......This is great, thank you.
ChuckC

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 12:18:00 PM »
Very cool Woody! I am enjoying this!
Bill
Aim Small

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
Very informative thread. Thanks.

One last thing -- making little rocks out of big ones used to be a phrase meaning/referring to "prison."
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »
This pic shows eight arrows drawn on the preform.  Each preform points to an isolated platform that I want to strike with the billet.  It may be hard to see, but in front of each platform there's a convex ridge for the flake to follow.  It may be very subtle, but it's there!

Photobucket is acting squirrelly, so I'm just going to paste one photo at a time.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 12:28:00 PM »
Here's a side view.  See how each of those platforms is slightly isolated from the rest of the edge?  The platforms are ground, but the edges on either side are sharp.  That means the platform will be strong, but the sharp, brittle edge, will allow the flake to detach cleanly and smoothly without shocking the stone.  The flakes will come off the face under my thumb.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
Thanks Woody, I've been lookin forward to this!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 12:55:00 PM »
Now let's jump forward:  all the percussion work is done.  The preform has the general shape we want, and the side-to-side contours are pretty acceptable.  The edge will still be somewhat ragged and ratty, and we want to refine that, as well as the overall silhouette.  We can take care of those things with pressure flaking.

Pressure work is more precise than percussion, but the flakes are a lot smaller.  All the same principles apply, though.  You always have to mind the convexity and keep the edge properly ground.  With pressure work, though, you can grind the entire edge as though it's one long platform.  Just start flaking at one end and work your way down to the other.

You can vary the size of the pressure flakes.  For flakes that are long, deep, and wide you can either grind the edge extra hard (making a stronger platform), set the pressure flaker's tip further "behind" the edge, or push more "into" the piece.  That probably sounds like gibberish if you're unfamiliar with knapping.  Again, a lot of this just comes with breaking a lot of rocks.  What I'm trying to get across is that you have a lot of control over what you remove from the preform.

Here's a pic of one holding technique I use.  The preform is down between my legs.  The point of the pressure flaker goes against (or slightly behind) the ground edge.  Push inward and the flake will detach against the handpad.  Vary the angle to produce longer or shorter flakes.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 12:59:00 PM »
Here's a pic of an edge that's prepared for pressure flaking.  I've already taken one pass of pressure flakes which helped smooth and straighten the edge.  Another pass of pressure flakes off the other face should smooth it even more.  

TGMM Family of the Bow

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
After all the major pressure flaking is done, there are tiny remnants of that continuous platform on the edge.  To remove those dull, ground edges, I sharpen the point of the Ishi stick and carefully flake off the ground remnants.  Work on straightening the edge and getting the silhouette you're after.  Notice the holding technique is different.  The handpad and preform is now up in front of me about chest high.  I don't need to generate a lot of pressure -- the longest flake will only be about 1/8" long and I need to watch things closely.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 01:21:00 PM »
Some state laws prohibit double edged knives and don't make an exception for stone knives.  To make sure that this blade is copasetic, I'm going to dull the back edge with a technique known as "stitching."

It's a straightforward trick, but like a lot in knapping, not all that easy to explain.  First I make a couple passes down the edge with short, steep pressure flakes, trying to get the edge to a 45 degree bevel.  Then I start beveling it back in the other direction, but stop when the edge is centered in the double bevel.  Then starting at the base, I take short, deep flakes from alternating faces, moving toward the tip.  That creates a zig-zag edge.  Grind down any sharp edges and you have the knapping equivalent of filework on a steel blade.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
Here's the finished blade with a roughed-out handle.  I bandsawed a slot for the blade and fine-tuned it with a Dremel.  Now to make some more sawdust with files, sandpaper, and steel wool...

You fellow wood-junkies are going to ask about the wood.  I don't know for sure -- maybe one of you can tell me.  I was told it's amboyna:  not burl, but curl.  It's pretty dense and heavy with open pores.  Very vibrant curl!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »
Awesome, A picture is definitely worth a thousand words. Thanks.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 01:34:00 PM »
Very nice tutorial. Thanks Woody. I had not heard the concavity / convexity before... makes sense.

I know the knapping bug will get me soon. Got the basic tools and some rock, just waiting for it to come around on the guitar.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
Throw some epoxy, tung oil, and a turks head knot at it and call it done.

We'll be out of pocket for a few days, but when I get back, I'll try and post more about making arrowpoints.  I hope this didn't completely confuse anyone.  Knapping is one of those visually-intense things that's beyond my ability to explain.  

The BEST way for someone to learn is to sit with an experienced knapper for one-on-one lessons.  There are knap-ins all over the country and thousands of good knappers out there.  The next best way is probably through DVDs, and there are quite a few to choose from.  Raptor Archery and 3Rivers both carry some good ones.  The hardest way is through reading, although there are quite a few books on the subject.  Hope to see some of you TG'ers at a knap-in sometime!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
Simply unbelievable! What a masterpiece.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©